Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 1st Test, Birmingham, June 16 - 20, 2023

Ashes- 1st Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So footie takes the perfect break, and lovers of bat 'n ball need not feel any despair. Well, not before 11.00 on Friday.

I need some encouragement here as I see no weakness in the Aussie team.

England have declared their XI. No surprises:

England XI: 1 Zak Crawley, 2 Ben Duckett, 3 Ollie Pope, 4 Joe Root, 5 Harry Brook, 6 Ben Stokes (capt), 7 Jonny Bairstow (wk), 8 Moeen Ali, 9 Stuart Broad, 10 Ollie Robinson, 11 James Anderson

Bowling looks decent, excepting that the ever elusive top drawer spinner is, well, ever elusive. Question marks over Crawley's inclusion, but nothing new there. Hopefully he can surprise us.

Live on Sky, Now TV Sport is £34.99 a month for the two months (although have a shop around for discounts)

On the wireless, it appears to be covered by Radio 5 live (hurrah).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Starting a thread 2 days early.

Were loose.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Starting a thread 2 days early.

Were loose.
Gives us plenty of time for hopeful discussion.

Threads about the opening match of the Albion's next season will start tomorrow :ROFLMAO:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
So footie takes the perfect break, and lovers of bat 'n ball need not feel any despair. Well, not before 11.00 on Friday.

I need some encouragement here as I see no weakness in the Aussie team.

England have declared their XI. No surprises:

England XI: 1 Zak Crawley, 2 Ben Duckett, 3 Ollie Pope, 4 Joe Root, 5 Harry Brook, 6 Ben Stokes (capt), 7 Jonny Bairstow (wk), 8 Moeen Ali, 9 Stuart Broad, 10 Ollie Robinson, 11 James Anderson

Bowling looks decent, excepting that the ever elusive top drawer spinner is, well, ever elusive. Question marks over Crawley's inclusion, but nothing new there. Hopefully he can surprise us.

Live on Sky, Now TV Sport is £34.99 a month for the two months (although have a shop around for discounts)

On the wireless, it appears to be covered by Radio 5 live (hurrah).
Weaknesses in the Aussie team, well apart from Lambuschane (I'm not going to bother looking up the actual spelling) and Smith apart, their batting hasn't a great record in England.
Not sure Cummins is a captain who reacts well/proactively if under pressure.
Lyon has even less hair than me.
Apart from that, on paper Australia are clearly the better side, but I'd have said that about India last year (and probably New Zealand as well) and we beat them. It's questionable whether Australia's attack is any better than South Africa's.
All told, I think we'll lose 1-4 :lolol:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Weaknesses in the Aussie team, well apart from Lambuschane (I'm not going to bother looking up the actual spelling) and Smith apart, their batting hasn't a great record in England.
Not sure Cummins is a captain who reacts well/proactively if under pressure.
Lyon has even less hair than me.
Apart from that, on paper Australia are clearly the better side, but I'd have said that about India last year (and probably New Zealand as well) and we beat them. It's questionable whether Australia's attack is any better than South Africa's.
All told, I think we'll lose 1-4 :lolol:
I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or not :ROFLMAO:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Hopefully Travis Head finds the form he had during his glorious summer with Sussex.
Hopefully David Warner will repeat the magnificent battle he had with Broad last time over here.
If Pat Cummings stands awkwardly on something in the outfield an hour before the start of the second test ... so be it.

Looking forward to it .... Wish it was more spread out but we really don't want an Ashes test series to detract from The f***ing Hundred.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
In case you missed it, Hampshire have been awarded an Ashes test in 4 years time.
The furthest north they go in the 2027 series is Nottingham.

IMG_2558.jpeg

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
In case you missed it, Hampshire have been awarded an Ashes test in 4 years time.
The furthest north they go in the 2027 series is Nottingham.

View attachment 162298

Couldn't organise by trip up North to see my university friends for the Ashes due to school term times and the stupid schedule.
Last time I went I was in my 40s, next time I'll be in my 60s.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Warnie would have loved it. He’d have also loved this;

IMG_0399.jpeg

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
27 for 3 within rhe first half hour

Crawley 0
Duckett 1
Pope 0

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Looking forward to it anyway, nothing beats an Ashes series. However I've just looked at the schedule and I notice that they're cramming all the tests into June and July with nothing in August! Please tell me that isn't to accommodate the Hundred? It is isn't it?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Looking forward to it anyway, nothing beats an Ashes series. However I've just looked at the schedule and I notice that they're cramming all the tests into June and July with nothing in August! Please tell me that isn't to accommodate the Hundred? It is isn't it?
Course it is.
Cricket is run by morons.
But financially driven ones

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Course it is.
Actually it’s not. Sky demanded it so it’s done and dusted before the new football season.

There’s lots you can blame The Hundred for but this isn’t one of them.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Course it is.
Thanks. Thought so. It's a bit like finishing the NBA early so that the Harlem Globetrotters can play a series of matches, or finishing the Premier League at Christmas to make time for the Watney Cup.

I know some people like the Hundred and fair enough (no point in having that debate again), but I thought this year at least we'd get a choice. Those of us who like proper cricket (and you can't get more 'proper' than an Ashes series) could watch that and those who like ..... whatever the Hundred is, could watch that. At least there's the Royal London Cup, and whilst Sussex will be shit at least I've an interest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here