[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 1st Test, Birmingham, June 16 - 20, 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashes- 1st Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Actually it’s not. Sky demanded it so it’s done and dusted before the new football season.

There’s lots you can blame The Hundred for but this isn’t one of them.

I'm sure the ECB said it was to allow prep time for the cricket world cup. England have 7 ODI s in September for this.
England have 1 fixture in August (a t20 on Wednesday night) and that takes place after the Hundred has reached its thrilling climax.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Actually it’s not. Sky demanded it so it’s done and dusted before the new football season.

There’s lots you can blame The Hundred for but this isn’t one of them.
But isn't the Hundred all about TV?
So you can't have the ECB's precious Hundred on at the same time as Test Cricket
People might just realise that Red Ball Test Cricket is much more tense and nuanced than the bish bosh

But hey, apparentky, women and kids don't understand cricket so they had to make it easier for them.
ECB are pretty useless (in my humble opinion obviously)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
But isn't the Hundred all about TV?
So you can't have the ECB's precious Hundred on at the same time as Test Cricket
People might just realise that Red Ball Test Cricket is much more tense and nuanced than the bish bosh

But hey, apparentky, women and kids don't understand cricket so they had to make it easier for them.
ECB are pretty useless (in my humble opinion obviously)
I have no qualms about criticising the ECB, but this summer’s schedule is 100% a Sky issue and they’ve left the ECB to face the music for it

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As for England's bowling, they're going to seriously miss Leach. His role is to tie down one end for long periods and lower the scoring rate. Moeen isn't that bowler, nor is Root. Given Stokes has only a few overs under his belt, that's going to put a hell of a lot of the burden on a 41yo*, a 36yo*, and one that gets injured regularly. Going to have to hope the Aussies don't bat big.

* yes, those ages might be wrong, but not by much

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I have no qualms about criticising the ECB, but this summer’s schedule is 100% a Sky issue and they’ve left the ECB to face the music for it
Can I ask where you've got this from as I've never seen it mentioned previously? Sky may want more England players playing in The Hundred, but that's a side issue. The ECB wanted the Hundred in the summer holidays for the kids and world cup prep

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I just had a quick glance at the Sussex fixtures and couldn’t see a game against the tourists. Bit of a shame if that’s the case as those matches were always big events at Hove. I remember one year looking up when some fella stood next to me in the Members Stand to look out at the pitch. When I managed to focus through the glare of the sun some fella turned out to be Dennis Lillee and I got his autograph. I also remember Kim Hughes sitting at a table and spending hours signing autographs for kids and having a chat with many. That would have been during a very difficult series for him and his team.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can I ask where you've got this from as I've never seen it mentioned previously? Sky may want more England players playing in The Hundred, but that's a side issue. The ECB wanted the Hundred in the summer holidays for the kids and world cup prep
Was about when the original schedule was published back late last year, essentially as the Ashes are a bigger draw than a routine test series Sky don't want it clashing with the Premier League season, hence done and dusted before August. It might fit into other agendas at the ECB (world cup prep, England players in the Hundred) but avoiding the clash with the PL was why Sky demanded it.

I have tried to find it but Googling "Sky Sports Ashes Premier League" doesn't lend itself to producing the results easily. Was in one of the newspapers, maybe the Times.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm not so sure about that one. The series was brought forward not to clash with The Hundred, but also made sense as it followed on from the WTC Final. It was an ECB decision. Not only that, Australia has a one day series in South Africa during late August/September.

It was reported that Sky didn't want it to clash with the Premier League season, but things seem back to normal in 2024. it was the Daily Mail who reported that (without quotes), and they are about as trustworthy as... the Daily Mail.

Last edited:

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
As for England's bowling, they're going to seriously miss Leach. His role is to tie down one end for long periods and lower the scoring rate. Moeen isn't that bowler, nor is Root. Given Stokes has only a few overs under his belt, that's going to put a hell of a lot of the burden on a 41yo*, a 36yo*, and one that gets injured regularly. Going to have to hope the Aussies don't bat big.

* yes, those ages might be wrong, but not by much
Agreed. We've only got 3 bowlers in the team. I'm not confident at all.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Happy Ashes everyone. it'll probably be like Christmas.

When you open your first present and find it's a pair of socks.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Thanks. Thought so. It's a bit like finishing the NBA early so that the Harlem Globetrotters can play a series of matches, or finishing the Premier League at Christmas to make time for the Watney Cup.

I know some people like the Hundred and fair enough (no point in having that debate again), but I thought this year at least we'd get a choice. Those of us who like proper cricket (and you can't get more 'proper' than an Ashes series) could watch that and those who like ..... whatever the Hundred is, could watch that. At least there's the Royal London Cup, and whilst Sussex will be shit at least I've an interest.
I don’t like the Hundred much, but I find it hard to get agitated that the Ashes will take place in June and July rather than July and August. Doesn’t really matter does it?

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Too much doom and gloom!

The three main fast bowlers on each side are I think fairly evenly matched. Aussies probably have better 4th seamer and spinner. And England's batting is probably better, especially with YJB and Mo at 7&8. (Crawley a bit of a ?)

So I reckon we could be in for a close match and series. Let's see!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Should be an absolutely belting encounter, probably on paper the best one since the unforgettable 2005 series. I wonder at what point today Just Stop Oil will interrupt proceedings.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I feel this is a big toss, come on Ben.

coin-toss.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports