Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Ashburton Army

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I came on here ready to agree with this, but on reflection I think @SAC is actually right. What's more embarrassing - actively protesting against something you fundamentally disagree with, or whinging like a pussy on AFTV?
I fundamentally disagree with being obliged to wear trousers to work.
My protest against that was definitely more embarrassing than my appearance on national television to whinge about it.
To be fair to them, I'm guessing they all dropped out of the womb as whining little shitebags, so it's probably discriminatory or something to hold it against them. The bellends.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm guessing they all dropped out of the womb as whining little shitebags, so it's probably discriminatory or something to hold it against them. The bellends.
All very true. And these days it’s more about narcissism, even if they’re too dim to realise why they’re doing. All part of the me me me, I want some attention on me culture, which is what these oxygen thieves constantly crave!

Sep 29, 2017
Portslade
Not allowed out late on a school night so close to their GCSEs ?

Must be pwopa nawty, even had their faces pixellated

As school has finished, I hope they release the statement soon.
Excited Channel 9 GIF by The Block

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
When I was a little punk rocker back in the 70s, anyone wearing anything that was the same as anything that anyone else was wearing was instantly dismissed as a twat.
Sounds like Brighton circa 2023. Everyone trying so hard to be different makes everyone look the same. Seeing a young person who doesn’t look “alternative” is the challenge now.

“Look how quirky and different I am, with my ripped jeans/leggings, tye-dyed retro top, multiple piercings, tattoos and brightly coloured hair. I’m completely different and edgy - just like everyone else!”

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sounds like Brighton circa 2023. Everyone trying so hard to be different makes everyone look the same. Seeing a young person who doesn’t look “alternative” is the challenge now.

“Look how quirky and different I am, with my ripped jeans/leggings, tye-dyed retro top, multiple piercings, tattoos and brightly coloured hair. I’m completely different and edgy - just like everyone else!”
That may be now.

By and large, back then, we did not want to be seen. We wanted to make it quietly to a gig or club, where we would go bat-shit mental, get off with someone (I wasn't much good at that but I did get some attention from a few 'forward' young ladies, which was nice; plus some young men on occasion) then make it safely back home or to someone's flat). It was the opposite of 'look at me'. Most of our clobber was cheap tat that we altered ourselves. Sometimes alarmingly. This was long before the emergence of the peacocks like Boy George, and the ludicrous new romantics (the spiritual grandparents of todays 'alternatives'. A little eyeliner was the limit to male make up. We knew people who were mentalists of the sort that @sydney would have been familiar, given some of his anecdotes, but injecting drugs, attacking people and breaking and entering were things we would avoid.

So, no, we were not like preening hipsters. When we were out and about, though, we were well aware of the hostility, and some times it wasn't easy. But one thing I learned early is not to be bullied into conformity, especially when the conformity is vile.

I'll post a certain track by Joolz after the footy. The track was recorded some years after I had moved on, but it captures an essence of what we sometimes experienced.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Some of my best friends are Ultras...

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Ripped jeans and leggings have been mainstream high street fashion for years. As have tattoos and piercings. They’re not trying to be alternative, they’re just a different generation to you.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Ripped jeans and leggings have been mainstream high street fashion for years. As have tattoos and piercings. They’re not trying to be alternative, they’re just a different generation to you.
I am describing a distinctly “Brighton” look.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
ID checks which they didn't agree with, although it seems that previously they had invited Vitesse Arnhem ultras over and given them tickets. No wonder the club / Police decided on ID checks

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Take a stroll through the North Laine any sunny afternoon. Compare to, say, Bradford.
Bradford, you say....

Here's that track by Joolz I mentioned earlier.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Take a stroll through the North Laine any sunny afternoon. Compare to, say, Bradford.
I would fully expect plenty of people around the university or most 6th form colleges in Bradford to be dressed a bit like that.
Although there are also more posters advertising Black Dyke band in the Interchange. You don't get that in North Laine.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I used to wear ripped jeans around Newhaven and Lewes.
But that was because I were too poor to afford new jeans.
I spent all my money on pasties and chips.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
That may be now.

By and large, back then, we did not want to be seen. We wanted to make it quietly to a gig or club, where we would go bat-shit mental, get off with someone (I wasn't much good at that but I did get some attention from a few 'forward' young ladies, which was nice; plus some young men on occasion) then make it safely back home or to someone's flat). It was the opposite of 'look at me'. Most of our clobber was cheap tat that we altered ourselves. Sometimes alarmingly. This was long before the emergence of the peacocks like Boy George, and the ludicrous new romantics (the spiritual grandparents of todays 'alternatives'. A little eyeliner was the limit to male make up. We knew people who were mentalists of the sort that @sydney would have been familiar, given some of his anecdotes, but injecting drugs, attacking people and breaking and entering were things we would avoid.

So, no, we were not like preening hipsters. When we were out and about, though, we were well aware of the hostility, and some times it wasn't easy. But one thing I learned early is not to be bullied into conformity, especially when the conformity is vile.

I'll post a certain track by Joolz after the footy. The track was recorded some years after I had moved on, but it captures an essence of what we sometimes experienced.
Brighton had a hardcore punk / goth scene in the 80's and those people were genuinely cool without trying too hard , a lot of them were heavily into their drugs , i had some fantastic times at squat parties around Brighton in my teens and then on to the Blues/Regga parties that the boys put on , fantastic times ......from my memory there were not so many outright tossers around then.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not for the first time Gormless Boy gets it totally wrong.

Beggars belief he is a mod

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here