Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The annual "Why don't we have a Straight Pride?" thread?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll quote that to the teenage girl or boy who will get seriously sexually assaulted or inevitably raped, "It's ok, its part of the territory, its just one weekend a year".

Whatever.

D

Deleted User X18H

I notice not many of the contributors to the thread actually live in Brighton or near to the site.

D

Deleted User X18H

I think Pride has now largely been hijacked by the straights anyway. In my experience rather than a serious expression of diversity or positive impression towards the LGBT and Trans community its now just an excuse for feral alcohol and drug fuelled excess, Its bloody horrible and I know many locals feel the same way and avoid the city this weekend.

It seems its ok this weekend to do whatever the hell you like regardless of the law and the police are instructed to turn a blind eye, wear rainbow laces and just accept the increase in drug dealing, drunken idiots, serious assaults and sex offences. But hey if thats your thing then your welcome, come to Brighton get yourself w.ankered and leave the city looking like a sh.ithole at 6am the following morning.

This is the sad reality. Brighton's wonderful diverse population don't do this for 51 weeks of the year. They just live their lives like everyone else . Then in August thousands desend to try and shock and offend us. With idea that their behaviour will convince us that gay and transgender people should be allowed equality. When in Brighton it happens 365/6 days of the year without a second thought.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
This is the sad reality. Brighton's wonderful diverse population don't do this for 51 weeks of the year. They just live their lives like everyone else . Then in August thousands desend to try and shock and offend us. With idea that their behaviour will convince us that gay and transgender people should be allowed equality. When in Brighton it happens 365/6 days of the year without a second thought.

You believe LGBT people should not be considered equal?

Your answer is important because I've been aching for a good reason to put you on my ignore list.

EDIT: Apologies, see post 33

Last edited:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I work with colleagues who are gay at work and they hate the party in the park because it portrays the wrong image and they avoid it like the plague.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Imagine how dull a straight parade would be!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooooh, careful you don't step on a diversity mine. Are you suggesting straight people are inherently dull? If you are I feel oppressed, diminished, marginalised and excluded.

:drama::D

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Hey, I'm right wing according to most, racist according to some, Conservative by voting habit, straight according to me, bring it on, it is party weekend!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Wonder what happens to all the bits they cut out of the arseless trousers , it's not that important like, but i was just wondering .

You believe LGBT people should not be considered equal?

Your answer is important because I've been aching for a good reason to put you on my ignore list.

To be fair to Timmy here, that's not what he's saying at all.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I get its all about inclusivity for all, they've rightly been saying that for years. Was a bit confused when there was a separate trans pride the other week though.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption

You've hit the nail firmly on head, I was going to post almost exactly the same thing.

The answer is actually very close to this. Many of the Trans community are not great supporters of Pride as they feel it doesn't represent them or their agenda. Trans Pride was quite openly hostile to anyone that wasn't on their bus. So much for generating an atmosphere of understanding and inclusion.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I get its all about inclusivity for all, they've rightly been saying that for years. Was a bit confused when there was a separate trans pride the other week though.

Which was a very civilised affair.

Trans can feel like an afterthought at Pride and worse to some trans people's sensibilities, their lifestyle is mocked or parodied for the day. The joy for them of having a completely non-judgemental, inclusive space for trans people, one day a year is obvious. Attitudes to Trans (and bi but that's a completely different story) can be surprisingly negative, even in the gay community.

It feels really special to be around Trans Pride for a day, I must say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here