Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The annual loyalty points decimation

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The reset is all relative though, why does it matter? If you’re top of the pile now, you’ll still be top at season start.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I've never paid much attention to this tbh.

This season I have clawed my way into Tier 1 for the tail end fixtures.
I narrowly missed out on Brentford because I was top of tier2.
I assume my relative position will be retained, or is there anything about the cutover that will see me disadvantaged at the beginning of next season?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Decimation means divided by ten. They’re actually halved.
Decimate = I always thought it meant one in ten taken away - so, reduced by a tenth rather than reduced to a tenth?

Hmm - but having checked 'wiki' it seems to mean (or have meant) almost anything!!

Another oddity of the English Language (however - it's not 'halve').

decimate (third-person singular simple present decimates, present participle decimating, simple past and past participle decimated)

1. (archaic) To kill one-tenth of a group, (historical, specifically) as a military punishment in the Roman army selected by lot, usually carried out by the surviving soldiers. quotations ▼
  2. To destroy or remove one-tenth of anything. quotations ▼
  3. (loosely) To devastate: to reduce or destroy significantly but not completely. quotations ▼
  4. (obsolete) To exact a tithe or other 10% tax quotations ▼
  5. (obsolete, rare) To tithe: to pay a 10% tax. quotations ▼
  6. (obsolete) To decimalize: to divide into tenths, hundredths, etc.
  7. (proscribed) To reduce to one-tenth: to destroy or remove nine-tenths of anything. quotations ▼
  8. (computer graphics) To replace a high-resolution model with another of lower but acceptable quality. quotations ▼

Usage notes[edit]​

Senses of decimate other than "to reduce by one in ten" are occasionally proscribed but "to devastate" has now become a more common usage.[1][3] The sense "to reduce to one in ten" is etymologically unsound and omitted by the OED but increasingly common.

Synonyms[edit]​

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I think I had something like 140pts so I'd imagine European away games will be a no go for me, especially if my points are halved.
I'll be absolutely gutted if I don't get to see us play away in Europe at least once but I think it's inevitable that I won't.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've never paid much attention to this tbh.

This season I have clawed my way into Tier 1 for the tail end fixtures.
I narrowly missed out on Brentford because I was top of tier2.
I assume my relative position will be retained, or is there anything about the cutover that will see me disadvantaged at the beginning of next season?
From memory you get an allocation for your new season ticket plus keep a proportion of the points accumulated last season. This should keep you in the same tier. If there’s a big churn of season tickets some might even move up a tier.

Maybe someone can dig out the derivation?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here