Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion team when you first became a fan

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The team listed was:

........................................Gill............

.................Bisset...........................Little

..........Bertolini.............Whitfield.................Wilson

Tiddy..........Shepherd.........Dixon.......Sexton..........Jones.

Shepherd got two, Jones and Sexton scored one each. 20,981 attended....................and we lost.

Which game was it ?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
According to the mess of a programme I still have from the day, the first team I saw was:

1. Brian Powney
2. Stewart Henderson
3. Willie Bell
4. Eddie Spearritt
5. Norman Gall
6. Nobby Lawton
7. Kit Napier
8. Alan Duffy
9. Alex Dawson
10. Dave Turner
11. Howard Wilkinson

Sub - Alan Gilliver

Saturday 17th January 1970
Brighton 2 Bradford City 1

Alan Duffy's debut (which was the reason for my dad taking me)

Happy days.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
The team listed was:

........................................Gill............

.................Bisset...........................Little

..........Bertolini.............Whitfield.................Wilson

Tiddy..........Shepherd.........Dixon.......Sexton..........Jones.

Shepherd got two, Jones and Sexton scored one each. 20,981 attended....................and we lost.

Which game was it ?

December 20th 1958 lost 4-6 to Middlesbrough and I think Clough scored four that day.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
December 20th 1958 lost 4-6 to Middlesbrough and I think Clough scored four that day.

Ah ! True flair. This was the return of the 0-9 fixture where Clough also did us. But I thought their no4 Yeoman was their best player that day.

Although the Albion were unlucky, obviously !

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
31st January 1978, 4th Round FA Cup vs Notts County - I believe the game was due to be played on the Saturday but was postponed until the Tuesday evening (weather perhaps). We lost 1-2 with a team of Steele, Williams, Horton, Cattlin, Rollings, Lawrenson, Towner, Ward, Maybank, Clark, O'Sullivan. Not a bad line up!

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
71-72 season

I haven't got the Hillingdon programme but got the Chesterfield one from the next game,so the team was

Powney,Henderson,Spearritt,Templeman,J Napier,Gall,Murray,K Napier,Irvine,Turner & O'Sullivan

we won 7-1 with 5 goals in the 2nd half

Dave Bedford ran around the pitch before the game

the ref for the Chesterfield game was Clive Thomas

and Ken Tiler was in the Chesterfield line up

Would be the same for me, my first was the Shrewsbury home game around then. I had 10 from memory but forgot Turner.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Would be the same for me, my first was the Shrewsbury home game around then. I had 10 from memory but forgot Turner.

same for me,looking back at that team,I just couldn't place Dave Turner

in the Halifax programme there's a fine photo of Kit Napier scoring a header against Shrewsbury,his 100th league goal at that time

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Please
Mine was in 1954/55 and in the old W formation, this was the team as I remember it way back then.
My first game we beat Newport county 4-1

............................... Eric Gill........................................

.......Des Tennant.... Ken Whitfield .....Jimmy Langley

.....Steve Burtenshaw ................Glenn Wilson

........Dennis Foreman ................ Albert Mundy

Dennis Gordon ........Peter Harburn........Frankie Howard

What was your first season team?
Pretty much this too, hadn't remembered the whole team Jimmy Langley (my hero) and Flash Gordon I clearly remember. First game haven't a clue...mind to occupied with being left at the ground by my 'never to live it down' Uncle. :lolol:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton v Middlesbrough 28th Feb 1990

Keeley
Chivers
Chapman
Curbishley
Gatting
Dublin
Nelson
Barham
Bremner
Codner
Wilkins

Gotsmanov
Crumplin

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
1971 v Notts County

1. Brian Powney
2. Stewart Henderson
3. Eddie Spearritt
4. John Templeman
5. John Napier
6. Norman Gall
7. Bert Murray
8. Kit Napier
9. Willie Irvine
10. Dave Turner
11. Peter O’Sullivan

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
My first game was 11th October 1980, home to Forest, must have been a birthday present as I was nine a few days later.

Wallace scored the winner, and Peter Shilton made a wonder save in front of the South Stand.

Hard to recall the players very much. Is there somewhere online you can check the teams?

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
Leeds 85.
Can't remember teams but there was a pitch invasion and police horses on the pitch.
Anyway I can find out the team?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
My first game was 11th October 1980, home to Forest, must have been a birthday present as I was nine a few days later.

Wallace scored the winner, and Peter Shilton made a wonder save in front of the South Stand.

Hard to recall the players very much. Is there somewhere online you can check the teams?

Moseley
Gregory
Williams
Horton
Foster
Lawrenson
Stevens
Ward
Robinson
Smith
McNab

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

www.seagullsprogrammes.co.uk

:thumbsup:

Feb 14, 2010
I was a fan before I knew who played for us. The first few seasons I saw the Albion, I was too young to know or really care who was on the pitch, but Ward was playing. Supporting the Albion was nothing to do with the players, I was born into it. Funny how things go in circles, as I am now back to not caring who the individuals are on the field but just wish the club the best.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Don't remember them all , but it included :

Powney, Henderson , J Napier , Gall, Bell , Lawton, Turner, Wilkinson, Gilliver , ?, & ?

In the squad was also Kit Napier, Alan Duffy, John Templeman, Reserve Goalkeeper was Geoff Sidebottom.......

I remember that squad (early 1970s?) - what about Alex Dawson and Eddie Spearritt; weren't they part of that team as well?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here