Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion team when you first became a fan

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Looks familiar - my first game was around New Year 1983 an uninspiring 1-1 draw v Watford. Peter Ward (back on loan from Forest) scored the Albion goal and I think the game highlights are on YouTube.

I went to that game, I believe Watford fielded a young John Barnes. We also played Newcastle in the cup at home around that same time, I remember the Geordies packed out Brighton town centre in their droves before the match.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Don't remember them all , but it included :

Powney, Henderson , J Napier , Gall, Bell , Lawton, Turner, Wilkinson, Gilliver , ?, & ?

In the squad was also Kit Napier, Alan Duffy, John Templeman, Reserve Goalkeeper was Geoff Sidebottom.......

1967 for me so most of those must have been playing but it was before Duffy signed.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Is that 1976? Steve Piper and Gerry(?) Fell are familiar names but they, understandably, made less impression on me than most of the others...

Funnily enough it was Eric Fell that made the biggest impression on me. I guess that was because I was standing at the front of the Chicken run and he was on the wing. Probably 76/77. I can smell the place now. Wonderful. The green, green grass, the orange bit around the edge. Memories.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Simple question why do people now adays, like commentators and radio people line teams up left back to right back when traditionally until recent years it was always listed right to left as the numbering showed. Johnny Cantor always does it.

I guess that would be because of the numbers. Number 2 was always right back. 7 always right-wing.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I
Don't remember them all , but it included :

Powney, Henderson , J Napier , Gall, Bell , Lawton, Turner, Wilkinson, Gilliver , ?, & ?

In the squad was also Kit Napier, Alan Duffy, John Templeman, Reserve Goalkeeper was Geoff Sidebottom.......

This would have been the squad I remember watching

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Steele, Gregory, Williams, Horton, Foster, Stevens, Clark, O'Sullivan, Maybank, Ward, Sayer

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Something like:
Powney
Henderson
Templeman
Smith
Napier J
Gall
Wilkinson
Lawton
NapIer K
Turner
Armstrong

others were: Burns, Blackburn etc

This seems like my era. What season was this?
Memory is fading but weren't Livesey, Beamish abd Brian Dear around in this time too?

I remember Brian Dear too dear chants

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
In no p;articular order, but these were some of the names I remember when I first supported the Albion.
Brian Powney,Bobby Baxter,Stewart Henderson,Dave Turner,Norman Gall,Jimmy Collins,Jack Smith,Wally Gould, Bill Cassidy, Jack Bertolini,Johnny Goodchild.

There were others;maybe Eric Whittington was around at the time or a bit later.
The big news of the era was the arrival of Bobby Smith.

Archie Macauley was the manager and in the dugout were Cyril Hodges and Frankie Howard.

Last edited:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Approx 72/73. Can't recall the VERY first game but remember being impressed generally by the blonde hairage of Eddie Spearritt and John Templeman, the lank, slightly greasy trimming of Barry Bridges and the commanding figure of the schoolteacher lookalike Brian Powney.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Don't remember my first game but was during the 83/84 season and Corrigan was in goal
Team would have been something like:
Corrigan, Gatting, O'Regan, Hutchings, Grealish, Wilkins, Case, Wilson, Ryan, Connor, Penney

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
This seems like my era. What season was this?
Memory is fading but weren't Livesey, Beamish abd Brian Dear around in this time too?

I remember Brian Dear too dear chants

Brian Dear,on loa\n from West Ham.Looked like he liked his pies,but was pretty classy and scored a few tasty goals I remember.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Wish I could remember, was around 1994 I'd guess in terms of really getting to know the players. Steve Foster, Paul McCarthy, Kurt Nogan etc

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Mine was Albion v Rotherham 23rd Oct 1993

Think the team was

Nicky Rust

Ian Chapman
Steve Foster
Stuart Tuck
Stuart Myall

Robert Codner
Gavin Geddes
Darren Wilkinson
Mark Edwards

Kurt Nogan
Mark Farrington

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Quote Originally Posted by Moshe Gariani View Post

Is that 1976? Steve Piper and Gerry(?) Fell are familiar names but they, understandably, made less impression on me than most of the others...

Funnily enough it was Eric Fell that made the biggest impression on me. I guess that was because I was standing at the front of the Chicken run and he was on the wing. Probably 76/77. I can smell the place now. Wonderful. The green, green grass, the orange bit around the edge. Memories.

It was Gerry Fell, played with him and against him as he dropped to non-league.

My team and again memory is failing me.......

Grummitt
Tiler
Wilson
Burnett
Rollings
Machin
Piper
Towner
Fell
Binney
Mellor

I think!