Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Roar - 20 Apr

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Does he still have the Austin Powers costume and does he ever wear it round the house while looking at pictures of The Amex and shouting "Groovy baby, YEAH!"?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
To clarify... is the beef mostly about P&R buses? Or transport generally?

Thanks all. Keep them coming.

My point is, what are the club doing to address the issue of early leavers?

Personally I don't have an issue with the train, when I use it - clap the team off, have a drink and wander down to the station.

But, being realistic, this is not an option for everyone, especially evening games - lots of our fans come north of Brighton (not many come from the South!) and getting back to the north of the County is an issue.

More of a concern to me is the P+R system. It really hasn't improved now in nearly two years - and of course with bigger crowds the problem has got worse.

After the Leicester game, we waited at least half an hour after the final whistle - then walked to the P+R queue which we then stood in for a further 25 minutes. Lots of Leicester fans in the queue were adamant they wouldn't be coming back. Personally I think that close on an hour to get on a bus is too long. My Sister and Brother in law (Forest fans) have been here twice now - and couldn't believe that the issues hadn't been addressed. (It was raining after the Forest game this season, which doesn't help)

I went to see the Green Bay Packers, 70,000 capacity, last year - an out of town stadium, it was empty within half an hour - and nobody had left before the end.

I'm sure that the powers that be will say there isn't an issue, and to the likes of me who have been watching since 1974 it won't put me off going, but as Stat. Brother says, lots of newbies, who we need to keep, ARE being put ff, and are NOT returning.

Please Albion, don't bury your heads in the sand - there are LOTS of simple ways to improve the P+R, but they don't seem to want to listen. I would be genuinely interested to see where MP or PB have used Mill Road P+R?

Context for the Bennetts Field question is the Planning Permission granted by Lewes District Council in 2011:-

TOWN AND COUNTRY PLANNING ACT 1990
TOWN AND COUNTRY PLANNING (DEVELOPMENT MANAGEMENT PROCEDURE)
(ENGLAND) ORDER 2010

NOTICE OF PLANNING PERMISSION

In pursuance of their powers under the above-mentioned Act and Order, the Council
hereby notify you that it GRANTS PERMISSION for the following development.

Planning Application for Temporary change of use of land for car parking (up to
650 spaces) for outdoor events at the American Express Community Stadium (to
be used no more than 50 times per year)

At Land East Of American Express Community Stadium Village Way Falmer East
Sussex

PARISH: Falmer

to be carried out in accordance with Plan and Application No. LW/11/0466 submitted to
the Council on 13 April 2011.

The application is subject to the following conditions:

1. The car park hereby approved, including all engineering works involved in the
formation of the car park, shall be authorised by this permission until 30 June 2014 only.
The site shall thereafter be reinstated to agricultural land, in accordance with the
'Restoration to Agriculture, Methodology and Aftercare' report prepared by R A
Davidson (Reading Agricultural Consultants) and dated April 2011 as submitted with the
application. The reinstatement of the site shall be carried out in accordance with a
timetable submitted to and agreed with the Local Planning Authority prior to 30 June

Reason: The development is of a temporary nature and is only approved to meet the
short term needs of the applicant. Reinstatement of the land is in the landscape
interests of the area, having regard to Policy ST3 of the Lewes District Local Plan.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

D

Deleted member 2719

Why do we have to grow/sow a new pitch every season? surely a top dressing would be adequate and a massive saving in cost.

Why was the design of the toilets such that the hand dryers are on the opposite wall to the hand basins with the queues in between both? And will they be re sited ?

Why do they sell spirits in Dicks but not in the concourse?

Again, covered by a Paul Barber statement a few weeks ago.

But can ask to re-iterate.

Just in case you missed my questions (above)???

Nov 20, 2003
hove
Hi TLO could you please ask RH what exactly he has against safe standing and ask him if he has ever been to Germany to see it work first hand ,I know he is against it but I would like to hear his reasons many thanks HBZ

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didn't miss them.

Good point about spirits on the concourses. I like a nice drop of port (not a spirit, I know but the point is the same).
It's a bit of a waste of a question:-

'I'll have 3 double vodka's please'.

'Why did the violence start, Mr Hebbard'?
'I'm investigating that now, but I know the club are pleased with record sales from the kiosks, so it can't be all bad'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One thing, not so much of a question but more of a statement of fact heavily laced with gushing sycophantic nauseous praise.

I blooming well love The AMEX, but then I would.

But Stat Club Jnrs (6 & 8) also blooming well love The AMEX.

Were in the family stand, and all the stuff that goes with that is fantastic.
Face paints, 1 of jnr's bedroom walls is full of posters, all the different entertainment on the concourse, the sweet shop, Gully et al , they get a great day out. They are also extremely comfortable in the stadium.
Seeing jnr watching the Sky game in amongst all the blokes supping their pints while he slurps his Fruit Shoot does make me chuckle.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
My point is, what are the club doing to address the issue of early leavers?

Personally I don't have an issue with the train, when I use it - clap the team off, have a drink and wander down to the station.

But, being realistic, this is not an option for everyone, especially evening games - lots of our fans come north of Brighton (not many come from the South!) and getting back to the north of the County is an issue.

More of a concern to me is the P+R system. It really hasn't improved now in nearly two years - and of course with bigger crowds the problem has got worse.

After the Leicester game, we waited at least half an hour after the final whistle - then walked to the P+R queue which we then stood in for a further 25 minutes. Lots of Leicester fans in the queue were adamant they wouldn't be coming back. Personally I think that close on an hour to get on a bus is too long. My Sister and Brother in law (Forest fans) have been here twice now - and couldn't believe that the issues hadn't been addressed. (It was raining after the Forest game this season, which doesn't help)

I went to see the Green Bay Packers, 70,000 capacity, last year - an out of town stadium, it was empty within half an hour - and nobody had left before the end.

I'm sure that the powers that be will say there isn't an issue, and to the likes of me who have been watching since 1974 it won't put me off going, but as Stat. Brother says, lots of newbies, who we need to keep, ARE being put ff, and are NOT returning.

Please Albion, don't bury your heads in the sand - there are LOTS of simple ways to improve the P+R, but they don't seem to want to listen. I would be genuinely interested to see where MP or PB have used Mill Road P+R?

Can I just echo the overall question of if anything can be done to improve the P&R. This will be all the more important when parking in Coldean is banned on match days from next season

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's up on I tunes but is listed last so presumably won't download automatically?

Hmmm... it's up in iTunes store, but not listed in the podcast list. It's also on our website. Once we've uploaded it, it's available across other platforms - can anyone else get it via any other method? If so, let us know...

Topics covered included...

Amex stadium and capacity
Lancing training ground
Transport (incl. P&R, P&R sites, under-used car parks at the universities, extension of the travel zone, Bennett's Field)
Banning orders and right of reply
Policing and stewarding
BHAFC's policies on homophobia (prtty cheesed off with Supporters' Club)
Rugby World Cup

etc.

Having listened back, sound quality isn't perfect, but is listenable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But still not up on I-tunes.

My mistake found it, but it hadn't come through to my Roar page, but it's on the main page.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Great show as always, and encouraging news regarding the East Coast train travel, lets hope that happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here