Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Adam Clayton saga - now officially signed for Middlesbrough

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oh FFS. Our beloved club have simply left it too late this pre-season. Far too late. And that has NOTHING to do with the Argus story.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Oh FFS. Our beloved club have simply left it too late this pre-season. Far too late. And that has NOTHING to do with the Argus story.
Isn't it just the same as last season and the season before? What makes this pre-season different? We didn't do too badly the past two years either.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
"Huddersfield Town's ability to bring in a replacement could hold the key to a successful Brighton bid for midfielder Adam Clayton."

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/huddersfield-town-replacement-search-could-7563666

I really hope we've told them that if the deal isn't done by the Thursday they can go fck themselves and we'll move onto other targets. Why is it that when other clubs want our players we aren't able to say "yes you can have him, but can you just wait for an indeterminate amount of time until we find a replacement... oh and in the meantime can we have the cash now???"

No f off you bunch of northern weasels. Grrrrr. Need coffee. And a new signing.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The only worry is that having done all the spade work on prospective transfer deals that we then get gazumped at the 11th hour. We know that The Albion will (rightly) not just pay silly money for a transfer target.

Clearly we would offer a decent (but maybe not the best) financial package so I hope Clayton (or AN Other) would actually want to play for The Albion - and that might be a deciding factor. Our infrastructure is first class and speaks for itself, we have a young manager and a decent squad, although maybe not the strongest in the Championship. So I guess a player pondering whether to sign for us might also look at the calibre of other signings we are making, to judge whether we will give him the best chance of enjoying football at a higher level. I do wonder what our negotiating team are able to tell him about that?

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
The only worry is that having done all the spade work on prospective transfer deals that we then get gazumped at the 11th hour. We know that The Albion will (rightly) not just pay silly money for a transfer target.

Clearly we would offer a decent (but maybe not the best) financial package so I hope Clayton (or AN Other) would actually want to play for The Albion - and that might be a deciding factor. Our infrastructure is first class and speaks for itself, we have a young manager and a decent squad, although maybe not the strongest in the Championship. So I guess a player pondering whether to sign for us might also look at the calibre of other signings we are making, to judge whether we will give him the best chance of enjoying football at a higher level. I do wonder what our negotiating team are able to tell him about that?

would question your 'decent squad' quote ?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I don't think we will get Baldock or Clayton this week, silly money being asked.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Well, in theory at least, our 'negotiating team' are not even allowed to say Hello to him, until the two clubs have reached agreement on a fee.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Well, in theory at least, our 'negotiating team' are not even allowed to say Hello to him, until the two clubs have reached agreement on a fee.

Quite. I'm not implying any tapping up. I note Huddersfield acknowledge our interest and haven't suggested an improper approach, which suggests they are willing to hear what we (and potentially other Clubs) have to say. Doesn't mean they are happy about it or that a deal can be done. I guess under FFP and given the size of recent transfer fees most Chairmen will be tempted to at least listen to what other Clubs have to say, before they 'say on your bike'.

I guess most Clubs will also have to deal with players agents agitating for better deals or threatening to look elsewhere. I would like to think that The Albion would be most ethical in their dealings but do wonder if casual conversations are held through mutual 'friends'......?

I haven't read Harry's biog - maybe that gives some idea how deals are struck?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Huddersfield fans feel deal will be done in next 24 hours, with Middlesboro back in the running. Very pessimistic about this deal happening for us, but we have played our hand and now Boro and Forest(?) might meet valuation.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Huddersfield fans feel deal will be done in next 24 hours, with Middlesboro back in the running. Very pessimistic about this deal happening for us, but we have played our hand and now Boro and Forest(?) might meet valuation.

Reading have money now it seems as well, and could gazump any deal.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

I think Forest would be a threat to us on this deal - if only from a geographical perspective. But I hadn't read anywhere of their interest.. What have I missed?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I think Forest would be a threat to us on this deal - if only from a geographical perspective. But I hadn't read anywhere of their interest.. What have I missed?

Forest are in for every single player every team is in for. It no longer needs documenting. Its a given

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here