The Adam Clayton saga - now officially signed for Middlesbrough

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Shame but I think a deal for Ward is more pressing, we are already well stocked in the midfielder department.

Well stocked with average players. We need some quality.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It does seem fair to level criticism at the Club's recruitment process for this, we are going after two players one who has played his whole career up north and has good options to stay up there (Clayton) and the other who is loved at a Club that is owned by someone who is rich and comfortable slapping an astronomical fee on his head (Baldock). It doesn't seem unfair to hope that the Albion would have foreseen these circstances and begun progressing other options should they arise (hopefully this is ongoing).

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Let's hope he was our 2nd choice midfield target, and we've dropped out because the top target is now agreed.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Something isn't right when we can't compete financially with Middlesbrough when we get almost double their attendances and have raised over £10 million in transfer fees in the last 8 months. It's not even as if they are in receipt of parachute payments anymore.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
OK Guinness Boy, I promise to read every post from now on before replying. He was obviously always going to remain a northern boy.

No one ever reads the whole thread do they? I was just revelling in smugness BECAUSE I CAN'T REVEL IN NEW SIGNINGS :cry:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Something isn't right when we can't compete financially with Middlesbrough when we get almost double their attendances and have raised over £10 million in transfer fees in the last 8 months. It's not even as if they are in receipt of parachute payments anymore.

They've cleared a bit of deadwood, admittedly. But with our crowds and the fee's we've received for Bricutt, Barnes and Ulloa.. I can't believe we keep being out muscled.

If we do miss out on the 'big three', I wonder what the sycophants with say?

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing

I'm pretty sure that we can compete, it's just that we're not prepared to! #FFP

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
They've cleared a bit of deadwood, admittedly. But with our crowds and the fee's we've received for Bricutt, Barnes and Ulloa.. I can't believe we keep being out muscled.

I suspect our crowds are having to cover a hefty (non playing) cost base.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

It may not be that we can't compete with them financially. In fairness, if he's from the north and always played there, he might want to stay up in the north.

Having said that, this week seemed to be really positive and we're now looking at Ward at most this week from the sound of it (and that's at most). I've been optimistic all summer but this week has started to take it's toll. My excitement for Saturday is dropping.

As I said in another thread earlier, Andy Naylor and others on here have a lot to answer for as they raised expectations.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

To be fair they've raked in a fair bit of money for the transfers of Marvin Emnes and Lukas Jutkiewicz.

They've done some good business this summer. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go up this year.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Got to agree that I've tried to remain positive and assume that we are playing the long game.

However with the news Baldock is unlikely to go anywhere and now Clayton going to Boro I feel that this could be a long old season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports