Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The 2023-24 1st-year scholars and U-18s match thread

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I have posted a bunch of info over the last few weeks on the new intake of first year scholars for this season, but it is hidden away in the 2023-24 pre-season friendly thread. It would therefore make more sense to consolidate that data in its own specific thread.

To the best of my knowledge, Albion have taken on twelve new 1st-years this season; nine have been promoted from the U-16s and three lads have been signed from other clubs.

The nine lads who have graduated from Albion's U-16s:

Layth Gulzar
Ronnie Gorman
Matthew Hayden
Josh Lewis
Callum Mackley
Alfie Mansell (GK)
Corbin Mthunzi
Shane Nti
Aidan West

The three signings from other clubs:

Joe Belmont (coming in from Liverpool)
Nehemiah Oriola (coming in after being released by Man Utd)
Jacob Vickers (signed from Luton Town)

Of the other members of Albion's U-16 squad last season who were not taken on, George Iorpenda has earned a scholarship at Ipswich Town and Andy Dzontoh MIGHT have joined the Kinetic Foundation (which I believe acts as the U-18 side of Croydon FC) - he re-posted their instagram post of a victory in the FA Youth Cup the other day. I'm not sure if Cian Morling has found a new home. Of other lads who were in that year group but were released in prior years: Luke Staight is now a scholar at Portsmouth, goalkeeper Ethan McGrath has earned a scholarship at AFC Wimbledon, Elidon O'Boyle is a scholar at Millwall and Joe Overy is at Burgess Hill Town.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
In terms of match results so far, Albion's U-18s have opened the season with a victory and two draws in their first three U-18 Premier League South matches. On Saturday they defeated Stoke City 4-0 in the opening U-18 Premier League Cup group stage fixture.

Ronnie Gorman (who was called up for a Republic of Ireland U-16 training camp last September) has scored four goals in three appearances and Joe Belmont has netted a couple of goals so far.

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
Layth Gulzar appears in the Guardian's Next Generation 2023: 20 of the best talents at Premier League clubs.

Was this your pick @AZ Gull ?

A holding midfielder comfortable with both feet, Gulzar has a good passing range, is tactically disciplined and au fait with collecting the ball off his defenders. No wonder he says he grew up idolising Andrea Pirlo and his style suits Brighton down to the ground. A regular for Brighton’s under-18s, he has also been called up to England youth training camps. A British south Asian, Gulzar has spoken out about wanting to fly the flag for an underrepresented community in the game. Gulzar has been with the club since the age of seven and is the latest youngster from the vicinity to make impressive strides after a strong start to the season. “It is something the chairman [Tony Bloom] is really passionate about, players coming through the system,” says academy manager, Ian Buckman. “The pathway is very real.”

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Layth Gulzar appears in the Guardian's Next Generation 2023: 20 of the best talents at Premier League clubs.

Was this your pick @AZ Gull ?

A holding midfielder comfortable with both feet, Gulzar has a good passing range, is tactically disciplined and au fait with collecting the ball off his defenders. No wonder he says he grew up idolising Andrea Pirlo and his style suits Brighton down to the ground. A regular for Brighton’s under-18s, he has also been called up to England youth training camps. A British south Asian, Gulzar has spoken out about wanting to fly the flag for an underrepresented community in the game. Gulzar has been with the club since the age of seven and is the latest youngster from the vicinity to make impressive strides after a strong start to the season. “It is something the chairman [Tony Bloom] is really passionate about, players coming through the system,” says academy manager, Ian Buckman. “The pathway is very real.”

I can understand why you ask that question but I don't have an answer because I've literally never seen most of the 1st-year scholars play. The only time an U-18s match will get streamed is in the FA Youth Cup (and even then, if Albion advance there is a completely ridiculous rule that prevents games in the latter stages being shown in overseas countries - I was so bloody frustrated I couldn't watch the quarter-final match at Wolves a couple of seasons ago for that reason).

So, I could tell you exactly how many games these lads have played, and goals scored, and whether they've represented their countries - but I genuinely couldn't give an opinion on who might make it. (Well, except for U-16 Freddie Simmonds who has me all a-fluster).

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
I can understand why you ask that question but I don't have an answer because I've literally never seen most of the 1st-year scholars play. The only time an U-18s match will get streamed is in the FA Youth Cup (and even then, if Albion advance there is a completely ridiculous rule that prevents games in the latter stages being shown in overseas countries - I was so bloody frustrated I couldn't watch the quarter-final match at Wolves a couple of seasons ago for that reason).

So, I could tell you exactly how many games these lads have played, and goals scored, and whether they've represented their countries - but I genuinely couldn't give an opinion on who might make it. (Well, except for U-16 Freddie Simmonds who has me all a-fluster).
They should give you some special access for all the excellent work you do.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Incidentally, the Chelsea pick, Frankie Runham, is from Eastbourne. He played at the All Star Soccer Academy there from the age of five alongside Joe Overy, a lad who spent his U-9 and U-10 schoolboy seasons with Albion before being released and is now at Burgess Hill Town (and came on as a sub for their first team when they played the Albion U-18s in a pre-season friendly in July).

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Highlights of the Albion U-18s' excellent 4-2 win over the (prior to the game) league leaders Fulham on Saturday. To be clear, these highlights (from the match played at Albion's training ground) are on the FULHAM website. Fulham, therefore, have provided more coverage of Albion's U-18s this season than Albion have. Well done the Cottagers.

U18: BRIGHTON HIGHLIGHTS

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Highlights of the Albion U-18s' excellent 4-2 win over the (prior to the game) league leaders Fulham on Saturday. To be clear, these highlights (from the match played at Albion's training ground) are on the FULHAM website. Fulham, therefore, have provided more coverage of Albion's U-18s this season than Albion have. Well done the Cottagers.

If the games were streamed we’d have multiple NSC threads asking why we’re wasting time and money on player X or Y or how player Z is ‘crap’ and how the coaches are getting selection, subs and tactics all wrong………whilst it would be nice to watch a few games I can see why there doesn’t seem to be any move from the club to do so unless it’s for a notable game.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
If the games were streamed we’d have multiple NSC threads asking why we’re wasting time and money on player X or Y or how player Z is ‘crap’ and how the coaches are getting selection, subs and tactics all wrong………whilst it would be nice to watch a few games I can see why there doesn’t seem to be any move from the club to do so unless it’s for a notable game.
I haven't suggested U-18 matches are streamed. :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Well done Fulham .............. but I can also appreciate reservations about screening U18s matches. Perhaps the ideal compromise would be scheduling all U21 matches for when there's no PL match on the same day!

Last edited:

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
It doesn't need to be streamed, but I think it would be helpful to have a club ambassador with stream access (much like a journalist or a scout)

@AZ Gull provides quality and informative updates on our youth teams based on stats alone. It must be a lot of work, and it's excellent content.

We give Brighton Twitter influencers, podcasts, and newly found poets club access/interviews etc; I get a lot more from the stats @AZ Gull provides.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Ronnie Gorman (who was called up for a Republic of Ireland U-16 training camp last September) has scored four goals in three appearances and Joe Belmont has netted a couple of goals so far.
Interesting regarding Ronnie Gorman - He comes from Horsham (went to Forest Boys school)- his mum is English, I guess that (and I am guessing) his Dad must be Irish. He's certainly not one of the Irish lads we've bought over from Ireland.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Looks like there was another Brighton vs Fulham game on the next pitch over?
I think the U-16s usually have parallel fixtures to the U-18s. In fact, it isn't unheard of that occasionally a younger lad will play some part in the U-16s fixture but also be named as a sub for the U-18s and get a few minutes in that game too.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It appears things were a bit feisty at the U-18s match today! Albion were playing at Leicester in their final U-18 Premier League Cup group match and needed to win to secure qualification. There were nine minutes of injury time at the end of the match and the last four minutes of those included:-

* Albion penalty (scored)
* Two straight red cards (one for each side)
* Four yellow cards

U18s.jpg

Unfortunately the match finished 3-3 so Albion don't progress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here