The 100 worst Albion players of all time

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Following on from the rather unfair labelling of Adam Virgo as one of our worst ever players on another thread today, I hereby challenge the punters of NSC to assist in compiling a list of players who are, unequivocally, much worse.

To be fair, and to avoid the temptation for some people to maintain their irrational campaign of venom against members of our current squad, you can only name players who aren't at the club this season.

These are the first ones who came to mind for me....

1. Jamie Campbell (already mentioned by Easy10)
2. Mark Farrington
3. Richard Tiltman
4. Glen Thomas
5. David Cameron

95 to go...ladies and gentlemen, the floor is yours...
you've listed mine striaght up, Richard Tiltman, unbelievably gash "striker"......

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I seem to remember that crumplin came good. didnt he win player of the season one year?
the classic joke payer turned legend - he was utter shite for a long time but he became very dependable and well worth his place, as I recall from back in the days when I really could comment with authority having been there.....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ashley Neil - couldn't even run properly
Mark Farrington - didn't he cost £100k from Feyenoord? Unbelieveable.
Michael Mahoney-Johnson - special mention for this sack of shit, as he didn't even want to come here. Then when he did play, he didn't even look like scoring against a Donny team full of pub players
Richard Tiltman - shite
Glen Thomas -dear oh deary me. Facepalm central.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Christer Warren is a good shout, one from the last few seasons at the Goldstone I think, what a turd of a player he was.

Funny how 99% of the players from the Gillingham years ended up as non league players within months of leaving the Albion.

Lawrence Davies, FFS, and people have the front to get on the back of someone like Navarro now? How quickly we forget.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
He has had over 4 matches worth of football and had about 3 attempts at goal

4 matches worth of the end 20 minutes, where the rest of the team are tiring, and the quality of service naturally is likely to drop? Hardly a strong run. Its very well and good saying he's had 4 matches WORTH of football, but its not the same as 4 matches.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Brian Tawse
John Ruggiero
Ian Goodwin
Perry Digweed
Wayne Henderson

Are you just picking random names off a list ?

Brian was superb for us in his day and at his level and of the others there is only maybe Goodwin who would get near the worst 100

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
The worst players of all time must be largely drawn from those who played for the club in the dread years of 94-98, when the team was poor and it was largely playing against poor opposition. Players who were inconsistent in Divs 1 & 2 (in old money) hardly count. As others have pointed out, someone like Chris Ramsey was a good player but just found himself out of his depth from time to time. So, it has to be players such as
- Ashley Neal (would always be my no 1 in this category)
- Damien Hilton
- Michael Mahoney Johnson
- John Westcott
inter alia.

There are exceptions; the unwise signings who, in spite of all of the evidence, had a number of run-outs, Turienzo being a recent example.

And the third category; the essentially poor player who the manager, for whatever reason, felt deserved a longer opportunity to prove themselves than any fan did. Joe Gatting springs to mind.

I would exclude from any list:
- any player who, despite technical limitations, put in a shift for 80% plus of the games they played for us;
- any player who excelled in one division and could not make the step up after a promotion
- and any player who made a number of small, but significant contributions to the club's glorious history in a generally ordinary career.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Mark McCammon is the worst I ever saw.

That is an absolute NONSENSE Richie.

As I've said, and Simster has repeated, he was 'limited' rather than truly terrible. If you played to his strengths he could do a job.

Remember the brilliant day at Withers, when TWO cracking Trolley headers saw off Premiership-bound Sunderland?

There are LOADS of other players on this list who could only dream of ever putting in a performance like that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That is an absolute NONSENSE Richie.

As I've said, and Simster has repeated, he was 'limited' rather than truly terrible. If you played to his strengths he could do a job.

Remember the brilliant day at Withers, when TWO cracking Trolley headers saw off Premiership-bound Sunderland?

There are LOADS of other players on this list who could only dream of ever putting in a performance like that.
The whole team was immense that day.

Admitedly, McGammon wasn't flair, but he wasn't slow, he could finish with his head and feet and held the ball up much better than many of the crap "target men" we've had down the years.

If there is a "worst ever" competition he's likely to win, it'll be for worst ever player to play in a cup final.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The whole team was immense that day.

Admitedly, McGammon wasn't flair, but he wasn't slow, he could finish with his head and feet and held the ball up much better than many of the crap "target men" we've had down the years.

If there is a "worst ever" competition he's likely to win, it'll be for worst ever player to play in a cup final.

I'm not sure he'd even beat Livermore to that one.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Following on from the rather unfair labelling of Adam Virgo as one of our worst ever players on another thread today, I hereby challenge the punters of NSC to assist in compiling a list of players who are, unequivocally, much worse.

To be fair, and to avoid the temptation for some people to maintain their irrational campaign of venom against members of our current squad, you can only name players who aren't at the club this season.

These are the first ones who came to mind for me....

1. Jamie Campbell (already mentioned by Easy10)
2. Mark Farrington
3. Richard Tiltman
4. Glen Thomas
5. David Cameron

95 to go...ladies and gentlemen, the floor is yours...

Matt Richards
Andy Petterson
Mark Walton
Robbie Pethick

and can this season PLEASE end now as Gavin Hoyte is utter shithouse

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports