[Albion] That's the worst ref so farn this season

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Personally think their penalty was fair enough. Milner never gets anywhere near the ball, and catches his foot. How can it not be a foul?

Agree Caicedo lucky to stay on, and the late VAR thing was a farce.
This.
We’d be screaming for it if it’s the other way.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
That's ridiculous. Their penalty was clear as day. Caicedos challenge was a foul, but not all fouls are yellows. Meanwhile he gave a huge amount of fouls in our favour and got the Gallagher yellows spot on.
Which of Caicedo’s multiple yellow-card-worthy challenges did you not think was a yellow?

He got rescued at least twice, one by the ref playing advantage and not going back for the booking and another was forgotten about due to a VAR check.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
The lack of consistency is the most irritating thing about officiating and VAR. They're obviously not going to get it totally right all the time, but the disparity in what is and isn't given compared to what the Iaws say is crazy. I think the majority of fans would be more accepting of the odd error if there was any kind of consistency or transparency.

I'm sure we all knew getting hot on 'kicking the ball away', timewasting, 'impeding a free kick' and 'only the captain can talk to the ref' would only last a couple of weeks as soon as they were announced. There's a new one of these at the beginning of every season, I remember it being handball laws and 'holding at corners' in seasons gone by. Now some refs will give them sometimes, seemingly at random, at some won't at all.

I'm not sure the officials themselves even know what to give and what not to give anymore. Webb should be under serious pressure to resign.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Where did the 5 minutes of extra time comw from in the first half.
I was bemused by that

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Apart from Caicedo being fortunate to stay on the pitch, I saw no other issues. Milner made no attempt to play the ball. If anything, Chelsea fans were getting upset at the endless stream of decisions going our way.

I didn't realise he had given the penalty, in which case that explains the drop ball.

VAR would be smug about this one. He's clearly made an error and was probably deceived by the angle he saw it.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
There was some similarities between the challenge on Mitoma and Milner's on Mudryk.
They were both shoulder to shoulder to start with. But in Milner's case, he lost that battle, fell over and as he went to ground his feet clearly tangled with Mudryk's, the replay showed it was a pen. In Mitoma's case the defender stayed on his feet, there was no contact with the feet and ultimately it looked as if Mitoma was looking for it.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I didn't watch it but if he was worse than the chump who was in charge for Forest I would have quite possibly ended up in hospital with critically high blood pressure.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
They were both shoulder to shoulder to start with. But in Milner's case, he lost that battle, fell over and as he went to ground his feet clearly tangled with Mudryk's, the replay showed it was a pen. In Mitoma's case the defender stayed on his feet, there was no contact with the feet and ultimately it looked as if Mitoma was looking for it.
Forget about the elbow to the head though

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
The answer to 3 is (I presume) that the ref has blown for the pen before it goes out for a corner. It's therefore dead but no idea why it's drop ball to Sanchez
Any dropped ball in the area is uncontested and goes back to the goalkeeper.

Shows how bad the ref was that he gave that as a penalty.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Warren thought their's was a penalty - the sort we'd be irate about if it wasn't given to us..

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
On their penalty, not only did the stream commentators say it wasn't a pen, just spoke to my old man who was listening on 5 Live, they also said it wasn't. Sky Sports said it was 'controversial'. From BBC Sport's live reporter in response to someone saying Milner should've been off: 'I didn't really think it was a foul never mind a red card.'

I know that doesn't mean they're right, but shows it's not just 'blue and white specs', or in fact 'clear and obvious'.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The answer to 3 is (I presume) that the ref has blown for the pen before it goes out for a corner. It's therefore dead but no idea why it's drop ball to Sanchez
The answer to 3 is it doesn't matter where the ball is when the ref blows his whistle, it's about where it is when the offence he is blowing for occurred.

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
We all have our blue and white glasses on . Chelsea fans saying he was giving everything to us and was like playing 12v10 . Let’s face it’s a shit show for all the teams . VAR is not corrupt it’s just the twats running it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports