Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That's the worst ref so farn this season

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I thought he had been, but you’re right. Infuriating inconsistency given the number of fouls he committed whilst Hinshelwood was given the softest yellow I’ve seen for a while :shrug:
That was criminal. He was running next to Sterling, who fell over. Not even a foul, let alone a yellow.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Why not? What else do you suggest the ref does with it? I guess a drop ball to us would have given us too big an opportunity to score.
The last person it touched before it went out of play at the referee’s whistle was Colwill - in the face, not in the hand - so we’re Chelsea in possession?

In that situation, contested drop ball. Like the penalty law though, they weren't designed for all this tinkering by VAR.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
But it's been confirmed that Caicedo wasn't booked anyway so he wasn't on a yellow card.
What? Who did he book then? Caicedo fouled someone - then when the ref blew for a foul Caicedo waved his arms in disgust. Yellow card came out.

Did we all get our players mixed up?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Badiashel for kicking ball away when Caicedo was pulled up for the foul that we all thought he was booked for🤷‍♂️
I've heard a lot of people mention he should have had a second.
Hadn't realised that he hadn't picked up a first one!

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
The lack of consistency is the most irritating thing about officiating and VAR. They're obviously not going to get it totally right all the time, but the disparity in what is and isn't given compared to what the Iaws say is crazy. I think the majority of fans would be more accepting of the odd error if there was any kind of consistency or transparency.

I'm sure we all knew getting hot on 'kicking the ball away', timewasting, 'impeding a free kick' and 'only the captain can talk to the ref' would only last a couple of weeks as soon as they were announced. There's a new one of these at the beginning of every season, I remember it being handball laws and 'holding at corners' in seasons gone by. Now some refs will give them sometimes, seemingly at random, at some won't at all.

I'm not sure the officials themselves even know what to give and what not to give anymore. Webb should be under serious pressure to resign.
Do you think there’s a ridiculous amount of pressure on refs now? I do, VAR has made their work lives worse. I can’t imagine why anyone would want their job.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Do you think there’s a ridiculous amount of pressure on refs now? I do, VAR has made their work lives worse. I can’t imagine why anyone would want their job.
I think so. But the PL don't seem to care or give referees the freedom to talk openly about their decisions. It's a disgrace that decisions made by refs are not held accountable in 2023 other than by some stupid, mealy-mouthed "sorry we made a mistake now get over it" letter to the club concerned.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Badiashel for kicking ball away when Caicedo was pulled up for the foul that we all thought he was booked for🤷‍♂️
It's all very odd because Pawson is looking nowhere near Badiashile when he shows the card. There's a close-up shot with Badiashile in the foreground which shows this .That's why TV drew the logical conclusion that Caicedo had been booked. It seemed obvious. The 4th official usually confirms who's been carded so it's all a bit strange and something that needs to be cleared up. A yellow would leave Caicedo one away from a suspension, let alone the fact he should have been sent off for several bookable offences yesterday.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Happens all the time and not often given especially as keeper was there - not a pen for me. But the most important thing is it was NEVER A CLEAR AND OBVIOUS ERROR. Jarrod Gillet again, who I’m sure has done this to us several times now.

what’s absolutely mind-blowing is that he thought yesterday's was a clear and obvious error, but no such luck when it came to digne kicking through march in the villa home game last season

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
That's ridiculous. Their penalty was clear as day. Caicedos challenge was a foul, but not all fouls are yellows. Meanwhile he gave a huge amount of fouls in our favour and got the Gallagher yellows spot on.
Cannot agree about the penalty it was shoulder to shoulder Milner stepped in front of the attacker, the ball was moving from right to left away from the attacker, who then tried to regain control by stepping back towards the travel of the ball and at that moment their legs became entangle, meanwhile Steele was racing out and if you look at the position of the ball when he collects it you can clearly see the attacking player was never going to get there and Milner was just too strong for him not a foul and as such not a penalty in my eyes

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I mostly agree. I was in the home end (shhh) and Chelski fans were livid with him (when in fact what he was doing was actually penalising the home side for fouls, which very rarely seems to happen). Many refs would have bottled the second yellow for Gallagher. I didn’t think theirs was a penalty on first viewing, but looking at it on TV I can understand why it was given. It was a direct result of the lack of pace in our side from CM backwards once Baleba came off, which is a concern.
Clubs like us simply aren’t getting that incident reviewed by VAR and that is cheating to me. Vars job isn’t to beach comb & slow things down to find a reason to give a penalty. Clear and obvious blatant hand ball that’s been missed. Maradona/Henry against Ireland is the job of VAR. We all know it’s biased towards the big clubs all the fans of other clubs like ours know it and the coaches know it. What’s the point of getting riled up the decisions will keep coming.
RDZ appears to have given up arguing.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Surely he should not have signalled for a penalty, but given us a corner.

Then held up the taking of the corner pending a VAR penalty check which he could request if necessary. Penalty checks are automatic anyway aren't they?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Cannot agree about the penalty it was shoulder to shoulder Milner stepped in front of the attacker, the ball was moving from right to left away from the attacker, who then tried to regain control by stepping back towards the travel of the ball and at that moment their legs became entangle, meanwhile Steele was racing out and if you look at the position of the ball when he collects it you can clearly see the attacking player was never going to get there and Milner was just too strong for him not a foul and as such not a penalty in my eyes

As was discussed after our penalty against Forest last week the fact the player isn’t going to get to the ball doesn’t change if it’s a penalty or not, despite Gary Birtles protests otherwise.

Joao Pedro wasn’t getting to the ball before their keeper when he was pulled back by Chris Wood. It’s still a penalty, that applies here as well.

The only debate is wether Milner fouled him or not and if there was enough evidence of a clear and obvious error for VAR to send the ref to the screen.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Worst ref this season. I never comment on referees but there were some shocking decisions.

1. Caicedo should have been off for second yellow challenge
2. Never a penalty for them
3. Farcical end to game with the Colwill 'handball' not handball, but should therefore have been a corner to us, why did he hand the ball to Sanchez?.

Chelsea a very weak side and on the brighter side will look forward to 3 points at the Amex in return fixture

UTA
After yesterday Hooper surely takes some beating -incredible error for what is supposed to be an elite ref. I am sure that it was the same Mr Hooper who gave that penalty against Calde all those years ago. I think it was against BMuff and Calde tackled their attacker giving away a corner. Both teams, including BMuff settled for that corner as did the whole ground, only for Mr Hooper to see a foul . .

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
After yesterday Hooper surely takes some beating -incredible error for what is supposed to be an elite ref. I am sure that it was the same Mr Hooper who gave that penalty against Calde all those years ago. I think it was against BMuff and Calde tackled their attacker giving away a corner. Both teams, including BMuff settled for that corner as did the whole ground, only for Mr Hooper to see a foul . .
Almost it was Southampton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here