[Albion] That Wissa Punch

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Meh - something and nothing for me.
He's looking at the ball and swings his left arm to knock the ball out of Gilmour's arm. Gilmour simultaneously moves the ball away from him and Wissa's fingertips happen to catch WBG's face.
If you ask me the ref/VAR got it spot on - caution for WBG for delaying the re-start and caution for Wissa.
Agree. It DID look like a punch (was quite funny) but he's clearly just trying to grab the ball.

I guess you could say he connected so by the letter of the law, he should walk, but, meh indeed.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just seen it - absolutely embarrassing again from VAR - we’ve been shafted constantly this season - utterly astonishing - you see his face move like a boxer taking a punch 🤦🏻‍♂️

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
There is no ‘fingertips’. It’s a fist. Knuckles.

The ‘intention’ argument is irrelevant. He connects with Billy’s face.
This is the strangest "fist" I have ever seen:-

Fist.jpg

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Agree. It DID look like a punch (was quite funny) but he's clearly just trying to grab the ball.

I guess you could say he connected so by the letter of the law, he should walk, but, meh indeed.
Just like Dahoud?

Slow his red card tackle down to frame-by-frame and he is looking directly at the ball whilst stamping his foot down into the turf. A split second later, the Sheff Utd player back-kicks his leg and Dahoud connects with no chance of pulling out. I wrongly argued that this was not a red because of intent, just like you and @AZgull are doing now.

He swung a punch and connected with Billy’s face. It’s a straight red whether he was aiming for Billy’s snout or King Charles. Intent is irrelevant.
This is the strangest "fist" I have ever seen:-

View attachment 170875
Put your glasses on and look at the point of impact. Not a second later!

A fist!

IMG_3865.jpeg

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
Red all day long. If wisa was trying to get the ball he would have used his right hand as it would have been impossible with his left cause Billy had the ball tucked into his left side away from Wisas left.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Just like Dahoud?

Slow his red card tackle down to frame-by-frame and he is looking directly at the ball whilst stamping his foot down into the turf. A split second later, the Sheff Utd player back-kicks his leg and Dahoud connects with no chance of pulling out. I wrongly argued that this was not a red because of intent, just like you and @AZgull are doing now.

He swung a punch and connected with Billy’s face. It’s a straight red whether he was aiming for Billy’s snout or King Charles. Intent is irrelevant.

Put your glasses on and look at the point of impact. Not a second later!

A fist!

View attachment 170877
To be honest, in that photo I think it looks like his fingers are extended, so he touches him with the back of an open (or vaguely loosely closed) hand.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its not a "fist" at all (and I should know).

I felt at the time his intention was to knock the ball out of WBG's hand, and the replays confirm it. WBG turned at the same time as shielding the ball away, and Wissa's hand accidentally brushed his chin. Being a footballer, of COURSE he immediately went down as though he'd just been bitch-slapped by Chuck Norris. The ball was being held chest-high when Wissa initially went for it.

Total all-round buffoonery from both. Yellow for both was correct.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Gilmour was obstructing the free kick!!
Which is why he got the yellow but surely you don’t equate Gilmour holding onto to the ball with Wissa hitting him violently in the face with his fist by trying to punch the ball out of his arms (regardless of intention btw)?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports