Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thank you SO much for what you have done for our Club Gus!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
You're not alone, most fans are rightfully grateful for what he's done for us but I believe it was the right for him to go and it really is time to move on now.

Agreed. What he said.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Ha, certainly if Oscar canters to promotion, Gus will have been proved decisively wrong to have moaned about his resources for the job. However, it does cut both ways, if Oscar doesn't match at least Gus's play-off achievement, then this will support Gus's case.

And I'd much rather be watching Prem football than seeing Gus proved right, much as I admired his managerial skill I never particularly warmed to him as a personality given certain stuff he did (Nicky Forster, Suarez).

The club lost 9 million quid in 2011-12. They expect to lose a similar sum in 2012-13. There is something called Financial Fair Play on the near horizon; losses even half that size will lead to either a fine or a transfer embargo. Your post seems to imply that the club should perhaps have given Poyet a larger budget - and hence increased these losses.

Are you serious?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not alone. SUPERB manager and childish to suggest otherwise.

Time to move on. Oscar's going to be EVEN BETTER.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Twas a golden era for me. Not every week was perfect, but some moments will live with me forever and the mission on the whole to play possession football with a flicker of flair and unquenchable determination was a joy to be a part of. I doubt we'll be witnesses to the eruption from minisculalities to possible giants in the making again. Like any dream it had oddities and ups and downs and words of deep misunderstanding, but it remained fantastical and memorable.
I plan to treasure Oscar's super-fit two-touch Barca-style extravaganza, but that doesn't mean i'll forget. I'm grateful for what GP and TB did for us.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I would imagine the point is that some people seem to be forgetting it and/or rewriting history to downplay his contribution, and it would be nice to remind people he actually had some major positives.

That was exactly the point of starting this thread. There seems to have been literally dozens of anti-Gus threads started during the summer, and anyone would think from reading many of them that he was suddenly the devil incarnate. Yes, as l mentioned Gus was far from infallible, He was repeatedly stubborn, egotistical and arrogant, and his latin temprament meant that he often opened his mouth before engaging his brain, but all these things don't stop him from being a great manager, (look at Sir Alex!).

Thanks again Gus, Albion legend in my eyes.

He deserves to be written into the history of this club for what he did, he turned distinctly average football players into confident ball players, you only need look at the development of El Abd to realise this.

I thank him for what he did, I thank him for raising the profile of BHA, but there is a part of me that just can't forgive him for how it all ended.

The club lost 9 million quid in 2011-12. They expect to lose a similar sum in 2012-13. There is something called Financial Fair Play on the near horizon; losses even half that size will lead to either a fine or a transfer embargo. Your post seems to imply that the club should perhaps have given Poyet a larger budget - and hence increased these losses.

Are you serious?

You're mixing up two things here and I think you know it, given your coy use of the word imply. Tip for the future, if I believe in something, I'll state it plainly, not "imply" it. I'm not making the case for extra spending, I'm saying that was the case that Poyet presented to Bloom. How right he was to do that depends for me on the targets he was set - if the target was to get to the Premiership as soon as poss, he can legitimately say to Blloom you're not giving me the tools for the target you set me. If the target was consolidation in top half of Championship for a few years with an outside shot now and then at going up through play-offs, then Poyet's case for extra spending appears very weak. What was the target that Poyet understood he received from Bloom? That's what I'd like to know to make some kind of sense of their dispute.

Now separately to that, you say it's not "serious" to run budget deficits in pursuit of Premier League status. Sadly given the huge mismatch between Prem and Champ revenues, that's not the case, it might be wrong/right but it's an arguable thing worth debating - a credible business case can be made for calculated gambles to reach these obscene figures of £120m on offer to Prem clubs just for turning up to games, which would totally transform our current budget realities. Now as a fan I would never make that case because it's not my money to lose, as season ticket sales can't fund this strategy - but if the board wanted to suck up a few more years of extra losses in a calculated gamble, then that's their choice and I would back them, and if they didn't and preferred a much more conservative strategy, I would back them by the same token as it's their call to make. But if we are pursuing a very prudent financial strategy, realistic targets must be set for Albion managers and communicated to fans, and here we come back to the Poyet issue.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You're mixing up two things here and I think you know it, given your coy use of the word imply. Tip for the future, if I believe in something, I'll state it plainly, not "imply" it. I'm not making the case for extra spending, I'm saying that was the case that Poyet presented to Bloom. How right he was to do that depends for me on the targets he was set - if the target was to get to the Premiership as soon as poss, he can legitimately say to Blloom you're not giving me the tools for the target you set me. If the target was consolidation in top half of Championship for a few years with an outside shot now and then at going up through play-offs, then Poyet's case for extra spending appears very weak. What was the target that Poyet understood he received from Bloom? That's what I'd like to know to make some kind of sense of their dispute.

Now separately to that, you say it's not "serious" to run budget deficits in pursuit of Premier League status. Sadly given the huge mismatch between Prem and Champ revenues, that's not the case, it might be wrong/right but it's an arguable thing worth debating - a credible business case can be made for calculated gambles to reach these obscene figures of £120m on offer to Prem clubs just for turning up to games, which would totally transform our current budget realities. Now as a fan I would never make that case because it's not my money to lose, as season ticket sales can't fund this strategy - but if the board wanted to suck up a few more years of extra losses in a calculated gamble, then that's their choice and I would back them, and if they didn't and preferred a much more conservative strategy, I would back them by the same token as it's their call to make. But if we are pursuing a very prudent financial strategy, realistic targets must be set for Albion managers and communicated to fans, and here we come back to the Poyet issue.

I don't know how after all that you ended up at and here we come back to the Poyet issue? People forget that we had just spent £4m on Ulloa.

Better coaching will bring success to this club not money. We can't buy promotion we have to play for it, and getting Garcia and his coaching staff is a well spent financial commitment in it's own right. Giving all your money to mercenary signings is not the way forward for a club like ours.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

No... can't resist. You KNOW that Gus' target was the playoffs. He MET expectations for last season. He DID NOT exceed them, and he had NO right to constantly moan about his budget. BTW Oscar has the very same target and, according to Barber, a similar budget (which would suggest he has a good amount to spend still).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep, thanks, I did know that but £4m was somehow stuck in my head, I think I got mixed up with the 4 year contract. Still £2m plus wages is a good chunk.

Wages were freed up by Dobbie, Sparrow & Vincelot going. I thought it was 2 million euros rather than pounds.
The total debt was 9 million but even the most ardent Gus hater can't lay all of that at his door, when Ken Brown messed up so spectacularly with the transport, number of staff employed and vast overstocking of the club shop.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Thanks for acheiving a 3rd division championship. Thanks for securing a play off spot with the most expensive Albion side ever asembled but no thanks for blowing it to a side who cost a tenth of ours yet apparently thats over acheiving to some.

Definitely NO THANKS for generally being a pretty vile ignorant and unintelligent human being incapable of engaging your brain before garbage spills from your mouth.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thanks for acheiving a 3rd division championship. Thanks for securing a play off spot with the most expensive Albion side ever asembled but no thanks for blowing it to a side who cost a tenth of ours yet apparently thats over acheiving to some.

Definitely NO THANKS for generally being a pretty vile ignorant and unintelligent human being incapable of engaging your brain before garbage spills from your mouth.

Please don't hold back, tell us what you really think.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Anyone who includes vile in an comment fails to make their point.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Idiot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here