Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thank you SO much for what you have done for our Club Gus!

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Not in a minority perhaps but I can't agree.

Yes he did well but was really given every opportunity. He took over at a time when our future was assured and we walked a very crap L1. He then can pretty well design all the footballing side of the Amex and TB gives him a great budget (despite his denial) and with the "Amex effect" he could hardly fail. Last season we stuttered too much in the first half season much like we did in the first season, lacking creativity, pace and finishing. With the arrival of Ulloa and Upson we suddenly looked a lot better but it was a pretty poor Championship and arguably we underperformed.

He didn't show a lot of interest in anything other than himself and he had an over inflated opinion of himself.

As far as I'm concerned he was in the right place at the right time and any one of numerous other capable Maangers could have "achieved" the same

100% this

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think plenty of people said thanks whilst he was in charge. Now he's gone what's the point apart from "look at me, I'm special, I'll say thanks well after he's gone"

I would imagine the point is that some people seem to be forgetting it and/or rewriting history to downplay his contribution, and it would be nice to remind people he actually had some major positives.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
FFS move on. How many 'thank you Gus' threads do we need? The new season starts tomorrow. I'm just a teensy weensy bit more interested in that than saying thank you to Gus yet again!

el punal

I think you will find you're in the majority. What Gus has achieved with the club has been remarkable and should never be forgotten.

It's such a shame that his parting was conducted in such unhappy circumstances. Best of luck Gus and thanks for what you have done.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
FFS move on. How many 'thank you Gus' threads do we need? The new season starts tomorrow. I'm just a teensy weensy bit more interested in that than saying thank you to Gus yet again!

Feel pretty much the same. All these thank you threads smack of BHA fans who can't move on. Get over him. He's gone.
A lot of fans have fallen under ' the Poyet spell ' and can't see the wood for the trees. His tenure was a mixture of very good and mediocre. Of glorious football followed by frustration. Of plan A followed by plan A followed by plan A.
I will always be grateful for what he did and will acknowledge a good job done but not a great one. Now is the time to forget Gus and get behind Oscar.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think you will find you're in the majority. What Gus has achieved with the club has been remarkable and should never be forgotten.

But behind Alan Mullery in achievement ( promotion from 3rd tier and then promotion from 2nd tier after two seasons...automatic )
He didn't have to try and juggle resources at Withdean whilst in the Championship ( a la McGhee )
Remarkable achievement would have been to emulate Adkins and Lambert ( two straight promotions ) but he couldn't manage it.
I'm not belittling his record just advising caution about bigging him up too much.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Feel pretty much the same. All these thank you threads smack of BHA fans who can't move on. Get over him. He's gone.
A lot of fans have fallen under ' the Poyet spell ' and can't see the wood for the trees. His tenure was a mixture of very good and mediocre. Of glorious football followed by frustration. Of plan A followed by plan A followed by plan A.
I will always be grateful for what he did and will acknowledge a good job done but not a great one. Now is the time to forget Gus and get behind Oscar.

Its not easy to move on. Most Brighton fans have never known such a continued period of improvement (you'd probably need to be at least 50 to have fully appreciated the Mullery years.) - especially when we have felt like the underdogs for much of this period. That, intertwined with the new stadium and TB's continued investments, and we felt we were on the cusp of something amazing. Now part of that rug has been pulled away and we are left with uncertainty.

I'm going to get behind Oscar and give him the time and patience that we gave Gus when he started. But I can't deny I'm not looking totally forward to this season - I'm expecting fallout to continue - do well and it'll be either Gus' team /Oscar's coaching, do badly and it will be either TB's fault for getting rid of Gus / Gus' fault for dragging the process out.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Gus can always look back at his record with BHAFC and know for sure he is amoungst the very top of the list of managers the club has ever had and no one can take that away from him. Thanks Gus.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Uncle Spielberg is spot on,we have had a great time under his management which led to many believing we were a Premiership side in the making, there is no more chance of this than Palace remaining in the top flight for a number of years, so thank you Gus it was great while it lasted, lets enjoy a decent period in the Championship and take off the pressure on our new manager.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
He done very well and turned the club around with a unique style of play and a joy to watch, I will miss the guy to some extent and if we had no cash restraints I am sure he would have got us in the top half of the Prem. But we do and wish things ended more amicably.

Thanks and welcome Oscar... A new chapter in this great club.

D

Deleted member 2719

Gus was never a Legend at our club, because that status is reserved for the guys that were loyal and respectful like Ward, Zamora,Lloyd,Wilkins and Webb to name a few, Gus never got close to any of them.

Even if people keep saying it, it will never stick.

Legends are Gods not Gus's.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Am I in a minority of one, when I say to Gus, thank you SO much for all that you have done for us?

Yes I know that everything all turned sour in the end, and that's a great shame, but it's important to remember that nothing lasts for ever, good or bad, and for the majority of his three and a half year tenure he did a magnificent job. When he came to us, we were skirting with relegation into League two, but within a season and a half he had completely transformed the team. We were suddenly playing some magnificent football, and achieving promotion into the Championship by winning League One. Two seasons after that we damn nearly found ourselves in the promised land of the Premier League. Something l'm sure the vast majority of us could only dream of!.

So thank you Gus, for all the wonderful memories. I for one will always remember you fondly, and I hope that you, as well as this great Club of ours, both go on to achieve our ambitions.
There seem to be a huge number of rather pathetic revisionists on here who keep trying to deny the achievements of the past three years. Frankly, they are all sad people with strange agendas of their own, with a herd instinct to attack Poyet.

Real and actual fans will recognise Poyet for his achievements, not just the sad way it ended.

Nobody knows the real story, except Poyet and Bloom - if anyone here actually knows what really happened they have stayed quiet.

Poyet has stayed quiet - to date.

Bloom has blabbed in public yesterday when the club previously said it would make no further comment - no dignity there.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
There seem to be a huge number of rather pathetic revisionists on here who keep trying to deny the achievements of the past three years. Frankly, they are all sad people with strange agendas of their own, with a herd instinct to attack Poyet.

Real and actual fans will recognise Poyet for his achievements, not just the sad way it ended.

Nobody knows the real story, except Poyet and Bloom - if anyone here actually knows what really happened they have stayed quiet.

Poyet has stayed quiet - to date.

Bloom has blabbed in public yesterday when the club previously said it would make no further comment - no dignity there.

Tony did NOT blab. He made a statement that revealed NOTHING regarding Gus' misdemeanours.

Did Gus' blab when he lied on the Beeb about not knowing about his sacking?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Gus was never a Legend at our club, because that status is reserved for the guys that were loyal and respectful like Ward, Zamora,Lloyd,Wilkins and Webb to name a few, Gus never got close to any of them.

Even if people keep saying it, it will never stick.

Legends are Gods not Gus's.

Are you sure about that ? Gus did a FANTASTIC job for us. That is a FACT and the history books about this club will back this up. What I find distasteful about this sorry affair is that some people think Gus is now the Anti Christ and has a 666 imprinted between his perfectly gelled hair. They are deluded. Poyet was and always will be a GREAT manager for BHAFC. One of the very best.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whether you liked him or didn't like him is irrelevant. He will be in the history books for a long long time until we beat 95 points in a season and the number of weeks at the top of the division.
Trying to denigrate that achievement by saying that he had the resources to do it, is also irrelevant as there were/are other clubs who had greater resources at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here