Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thank You Oscar Garcia

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ill's at the club? So what you're saying is, considering how much Burke and Barber and Bloom are ****ing him about, its a miracle we didn't go down? Shite. Well I suppose if the club management are interfering in all the aspects of the playing side, then we're knackered. Is that your 'despite everything'? For Oscar's season to be considered 'brilliant', it can't be pretty. What do you know, honestly?
It certainly would seem to be a miracle we made it to the play-offs, and that's down to Oscar.

I'm going to find another thread to put this, but I'd be gutted if Tony changed the structure now as we wave goodbye to potentially our best manager.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Wow, the revisionism has started early!

Thanks Oscar for taking over an excellent team and stumbling them into 6th place, a team that with the additions of Upson and Ulloa in the January transfer window was the best in the championship in the second half of last year. A 6th place finish based SOLELY on the defence, a defence assembled and schooled by our previous manager. Your task was to make us better attacking and you failed.

Thanks Oscar for presiding over the departure of Bridcutt, Barnes and El-Abd, heroes of our fantastic last three years and bringing in dross. Apparently you had the final say on all transfers, well they weren't very good. Our former manager could convince Vicente, Bridge and Upson to play for us, you couldn't convince Grabban to come or Barnes to stay.

Thanks Oscar for producing stultifying dull football with exciting moments few and far between. Thanks for giving up on the cup-tie with Hull before we even kicked off. Thanks for bringing through a couple of quality youngsters - I'll give you actual credit for that - and then benching them at the crux of the season in favour of blooding a Man Utd youngster.

Thank you for your motivational skills that led to Bridcutt sulking through his final year with us, resulted in of on-field arguments between our own players and turned Orlandi, Lopez, Buckley, and Kuszczak from stars one season into poor players the next.

Thanks Oscar, for quitting.

Let's be clear, Bridcutt's sulking can only be blamed on (1) Liam Bridcutt, himself, encouraged and engineered by (2) influences from the North.

Pretty much everything else in your rant can be blamed on systemic and fundamental problems in David Burke's recruitment department.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I was, and remain, very sad to see him go.

There's no denying we lacked excitement in our play this season but we still got into the playoffs regardless.

Imagine what could've happened next season if, after a pre-season he was actually here for, Oscar had got the attacking side of it firing properly (no, this doesn't mean playing two strikers, which most assuredly isn't the quick fix that it's meant to be).

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Truly upsetting to see him go. I feel a gem of a manager has slipped away. IF he has gone for the same reasons as Poyet then i am disappointed in HIM not Tony but please Tony can you make it clear to the next man that funds will only become available on reaching the Prem and that until then you must prove yourself on coaching skills alone.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Pleased he has gone, but disappointed it never worked out.

When Poyet got the sack, I was over the moon, and although I have wanted Oscar gone for a good few months, I am actually a bit gutted it never worked out.

I feel we now need to go for an established manager, who will play a style of football suited to the squad.

For the first time in 6 months, I am looking forward to going to watch the Albion

Best of luck Oscar, and thanks for your efforts.

You've wished away two supremely strong managers who seem almost certain to go on and have long glittering careers in the game. I think the club will find it tough to make their next appointment anywhere near the level of Poyet & Garcia.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Good luck to the guy he been far more a pro than Gus in the way he has left. I think he is a gentleman lets now move on.:clap2:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It certainly would seem to be a miracle we made it to the play-offs, and that's down to Oscar.

I'm going to find another thread to put this, but I'd be gutted if Tony changed the structure now as we wave goodbye to potentially our best manager.

Its funny actually, last year I was on the side of the manager and completely shot down, this year I'm more sympathetic to the club, with the same result. I have a habit of picking losers!

although, I'm not sure what you could have seen the past nine months to say he was potentially our best manager.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
although, I'm not sure what you could have seen the past nine months to say he was potentially our best manager.
Other than producing a play-off side from a squad ravaged by injury, striped of main assets, devoid of strikers while not being given the backing he expected from Tony.

POTENTIALLY is the key word.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Other than producing a play-off side from a squad ravaged by injury, striped of main assets, devoid of strikers while not being given the backing he expected from Tony.

POTENTIALLY is the key word.

I saw a guy take the best side in the championship and make them worse. He didn't do anything.

Alright, I'm being unfair. At the start of the year I reached patience and understanding as he was very inexperienced, and said a 10th place finish would be fine and understandable. I defended him on a lot of occasions on here. But after a full 46-game season I'm not shown the improvement or any path towards it. Defence is still Poyets, attack is limpid. And mainly I'm just pissed and feel let down that he's quit on us, after all that.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Well I don't care what the revisionists are going to say:-

I THOUGHT YOU WERE A BLOODY BRILLIANT BRIGHTON MANAGER.

He took everything that a pretty crap season can throw at a manager, and dealt with the lot.
Not only dealing with it but turning it around into a play off season.

I genuinely can't think of a manager who could have done that, while carrying an air of decency, composure and steely determination.

Please don't sully your time here by rockin up at Leeds just because they offered you more cash, I still think you are better than that.

The Stat's are going to miss you, all the best for the future.

Completely agree but I will add one potentially controversial point...

He's a coward.
Despite everything thrown at him this season (and the list is huge) he has chosen to walk rather than sort things out with Tony (and the others) and take the club on to even greater heights.
No one could be as unlucky as him two seasons on the trot, so I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do with a tail wind instead of sailing into a storm. I feel pained that he hasn't got the nerve to stick with it and make it work, because I personally had faith in him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Completely agree but I will add one potentially controversial point...

He's a coward.
Despite everything thrown at him this season (and the list is huge) he has chosen to walk rather than sort things out with Tony (and the others) and take the club on to even greater heights.
No one could be as unlucky as him two seasons on the trot, so I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do with a tail wind instead of sailing into a storm. I feel pained that he hasn't got the nerve to stick with it and make it work, because I personally had faith in him.
Which is where the clubs stewardship comes into question.

It would seem Oscar has looked at this season squad, the contract decisions going forward, and what money is made available, and come to the conclusion it's unmanageable.

Oscar hasn't been backed in his first year, why would he assume that'll change in his second year?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

It would seem Oscar has looked at this season squad, the contract decisions going forward, and what money is made available, and come to the conclusion it's unmanageable.

Oscar hasn't been backed in his first year, why would he assume that'll change in his second year?

I know its hard, but sometimes this is how jobs work. You prove in the worst of times that you are f*cking good (he has) and then when things are a little easier you get a little more freedom, a little more responsibility and a little more control, you prove that you can use them well and you get more. Given how good he has been this season, I honestly believe that he could have made it work in such a way that Burke was working for him, not Tony; Paul stuck to raising the cash and controlling the non-football things; and Tony trusted them all to do the jobs he had set them without needing to be too involved.

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit and it really was an unsolvable problem and he was right to walk. I had faith in him, I just wish he had the same faith in himself.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know its hard, but sometimes this is how jobs work. You prove in the worst of times that you are f*cking good (he has) and then when things are a little easier you get a little more freedom, a little more responsibility and a little more control, you prove that you can use them well and you get more. Given how good he has been this season, I honestly believe that he could have made it work in such a way that Burke was working for him, not Tony; Paul stuck to raising the cash and controlling the non-football things; and Tony trusted them all to do the jobs he had set them without needing to be too involved.

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit and it really was an unsolvable problem and he was right to walk. I had faith in him, I just wish he had the same faith in himself.
He has got faith in himself that's why he'll pop up somewhere less restrictive, furthering his march to one day managing Barca.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
To be honest still shocked I was sure that Oscar and Bloom would sort out their differences.

Good luck Oscar Garcia what ever the future holds.

`

Last edited:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
You've wished away two supremely strong managers who seem almost certain to go on and have long glittering careers in the game. I think the club will find it tough to make their next appointment anywhere near the level of Poyet & Garcia.
What, Gus Poyet who a few weeks ago was washing his hands on Sunderland, blaming everyone but himself for their problems, and looking to quit.

And Oscar Garica who has had a job running Barcelona youth side, then a season in a tin pot league, before coming to us and quitting because he cannot handle the job, because the only style he can play is that of the Barcelona side, which I have been saying all season to anyone bored enough to listen, will never ever work with Championship quaility players?

I think it's far from certain either of them will have long glittering careers in the game!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
He has got faith in himself that's why he'll pop up somewhere less restrictive, furthering his march to one day managing Barca.

And I look forward to the day he makes it and I can say, "I've met him, he's a nice bloke and a really good manager, had a great season with my club", but I think it'll be the 'path of least resistance' he'll take to get there and I don't think he needs to.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

Sadly, this...
I think club suits have made a series of huge, short-termist mistakes, which could harm us for decades - Premier League Ready, my arse...

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I think the club will find it tough to make their next appointment anywhere near the level of Poyet & Garcia.
You think the club, with the stadium and support we have, plus a state of the art training centre that will put a lot of premiership clubs to shame, and which will be ready for the new manager first day at work with the players; will struggle to appoint anywhere near the level of a rookie manager, with one style of play and no plan B???

I think there will be top manager banging the chairman's door down begging for the job.

Your sort of comment belongs back in the day when Jimmy Case got the sack!

If they so choose, the club will be able to make an appointment way above the ability of Poyet and Garica.

Hopefully we have now learnt that a rookie manager is not the way forward, however I think Tim Sherwood will be in place by the end of the week!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here