Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thank You Oscar Garcia

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The one consolation here is that it has been a clean break, and immediately after the season end. I don't feel that we are in for a long summer in the way we were last year. The opportunity to move on has presented itself, and I think Oscar has handled himself with dignity.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
My favorite time with him in charge was when we came from behind for the 1st time in god knows how long to beat Bolton.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Yes, best of luck for the future. Seems like a genuinely nice bloke.

Thanks for the memories. Not particularly exciting memories, but memories none the less.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Ok it hasn't turned out how the Club, fans or Oscar would have wished but the guy has done very well to get us to 6th place and the play offs.

Yesterday was disappointing but looking at the bigger picture Oscar did not enjoy the same budget as Poyet, it is not his fault that we are committed to FFP, that key players were sold on (I suspect that Bridcutt in particular was always going to move on, having had his head turned), we did not secure the signings we sought and above all he had to contend with a horrendous injury list. Maybe he might have played a tad too conservatively for most fans likings, but we did not implode either, as some on NSC predicted.

I guess the other curious question is why we never saw any decent fresh Spanish talent arrive, given Oscar's background and impeccable contacts, and of course this might be one factor in his departure. I wonder if this will now be the end of the Spanish influence for a while?

A big plus is that he was not afraid to blood youngsters and we now have two fine players in March and Ince who will surely be part of the future. It is a pity that he will not get to have an influence over the new training academy, which seemed to be one of the potential benefits of appointing him.

I wish Oscar well and will watch his career with interest. The King is dead, long live the (new) King. Time to move on and support the new guy.

I still give some credit to Tony Bloom for taking a punt on Oscar and not doing the more obvious thing having had his fingers burnt by Poyet. It will be very interesting to see who Tony opts for next, maybe he will be a bit more pragmatic with his appointment of head coach?:albion2::bhasign::)

Good shout.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Thanks Oscar,

Shame you chickened out and buggered off.

Thanks though.

Apr 12, 2011
Thank you Oscar, I think that, all things considered you did a very good job this season. I don't think after last summer many people were even expecting to make the playoffs. Most of all you got on with it, carried yourself with dignity and an air of calmness. You never failed to find time for the fans after each game. Best of luck for the future.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm rather unhappy that he's gone. Each time i've heard him talk it has been fair, pragmatic and dignified - something that lacks in todays modern game. He may not go down in the annuls of history as the 'best' manager we've ever had, but he certainly hasn't harmed his reputation and with the constraints, did one hell of a good job in getting us into the top 6. I really do feel, given the backing and more time he could have achieved great things. Alas, it wasn't to be.

Best of luck Oscar, thanks for all your efforts and all the best for the future.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm gutted he's gone. Thought he had the potential to be one of our best, I was looking forward to seeing what he could do with the academy and who he'd bring in during the next transfer window.

Just hope we can get a new manager in quickly so we don't have a truncated pre-season again. But I bet the new bloke won't be anything like as dignified as Oscar

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There is no truth in the rumour that he has left to start a one-man comedy revue show in Las Vegas

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Sorry you had to work with Barber

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Well I don't care what the revisionists are going to say:-

I THOUGHT YOU WERE A BLOODY BRILLIANT BRIGHTON MANAGER.

Wow, the revisionism has started early!

Thanks Oscar for taking over an excellent team and stumbling them into 6th place, a team that with the additions of Upson and Ulloa in the January transfer window was the best in the championship in the second half of last year. A 6th place finish based SOLELY on the defence, a defence assembled and schooled by our previous manager. Your task was to make us better attacking and you failed.

Thanks Oscar for presiding over the departure of Bridcutt, Barnes and El-Abd, heroes of our fantastic last three years and bringing in dross. Apparently you had the final say on all transfers, well they weren't very good. Our former manager could convince Vicente, Bridge and Upson to play for us, you couldn't convince Grabban to come or Barnes to stay.

Thanks Oscar for producing stultifying dull football with exciting moments few and far between. Thanks for giving up on the cup-tie with Hull before we even kicked off. Thanks for bringing through a couple of quality youngsters - I'll give you actual credit for that - and then benching them at the crux of the season in favour of blooding a Man Utd youngster.

Thank you for your motivational skills that led to Bridcutt sulking through his final year with us, resulted in of on-field arguments between our own players and turned Orlandi, Lopez, Buckley, and Kuszczak from stars one season into poor players the next.

Thanks Oscar, for quitting.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow, the revisionism has started early!

Thanks Oscar for taking over an excellent team and stumbling them into 6th place, a team that with the additions of Upson and Ulloa in the January transfer window was the best in the championship in the second half of last year. A 6th place finish based SOLELY on the defence, a defence assembled and schooled by our previous manager. Your task was to make us better attacking and you failed.

Thanks Oscar for presiding over the departure of Bridcutt, Barnes and El-Abd, heroes of our fantastic last three years and bringing in dross. Apparently you had the final say on all transfers, well they weren't very good. Our former manager could convince Vicente, Bridge and Upson to play for us, you couldn't convince Grabban to come or Barnes to stay.

Thanks Oscar for producing stultifying dull football with exciting moments few and far between. Thanks for giving up on the cup-tie with Hull before we even kicked off. Thanks for bringing through a couple of quality youngsters - I'll give you actual credit for that - and then benching them at the crux of the season in favour of blooding a Man Utd youngster.

Thank you for your motivational skills that led to Bridcutt sulking through his final year with us, resulted in of on-field arguments between our own players and turned Orlandi, Lopez, Buckley, and Kuszczak from stars one season into poor players the next.

Thanks Oscar, for quitting.
You would appear to be putting the ills at the club onto Oscar.
The Argus, who are more knowledgable than yourself, appear to be blaming the hierarchy.

I know who im happier to believe.

Once again I think Oscar did a brilliant job, and I'll add, despite everything.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You would appear to be putting the ills at the club onto Oscar.
The Argus, who are more knowledgable than yourself, appear to be blaming the hierarchy.

I know who im happier to believe.

Once again I think Oscar did a brilliant job, and I'll add, despite everything.

Ill's at the club? So what you're saying is, considering how much Burke and Barber and Bloom are ****ing him about, its a miracle we didn't go down? Shite. Well I suppose if the club management are interfering in all the aspects of the playing side, then we're knackered. Is that your 'despite everything'? For Oscar's season to be considered 'brilliant', it can't be pretty. What do you know, honestly?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here