Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thank you Gus Poyet

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm sure Gus has made a mistake, possibly something very serious, who knows - but the problem is how the board have dealt with it all, from day one. This mess is an absolute debacle, a fiasco. Regardless of what Gus did, there have been seriously poor decisions made by the board in regards to how this has been handled. There is a chance that if handled in a certain way, Gus would still be our manager and we would be realistic promotion contenders this coming season - or at the very least resolved weeks ago with a fraction of the fuss.

But as chairman, of course TB is in the commanding position and so is not immune from criticism - the point I was making, is that he may assign certain duties to his staff or other members of the board that have lead to these mistakes, or perhaps he has had poor advice from his legal team. The bottom line is that I think it's better to generalise and blame any mistakes that have been made on the board generally speaking, as there are many people involved with this, rather than solely on TB -even though the responsibility of this club is ultimately his.

How do you know the board has made any mistakes? I'll answer that for you - you don't. So show some faith in Tony and his board, and accept that Gus has done something very, very wrong. Probably more than his post-Palace BS, but we'll never know the details. Support your club, not the big-mouthed egotist, good (not great) manager tho' he is.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A) We are no longer little Brighton.
B) You cannot reasonably compare Gus' budget to ANY other Brighton manager, least of all the ones you mention. Gus was given a far bigger budget than ANY other Brighton manager.

Budgets are relative. Mullery had a big budget from Bamber 30 odd years ago.
Poyet didn't spend much until we got promoted. Barnes was approx 250K and Noone less than that. Painter was on a free as was Calderon, Ankergren & Brezovan. As I have pointed out previously we went to the top in September, stayed there until the end of the season, won 8 matches out of 8 in March, and gained 95 points beating Southampton to the title who had a much larger budget than us.

Gus then had to force the board to change the way the budget was handled because it was so rigid, not allowing wages to be used instead of transfer fees. That was only changed last summer, when it was too late to keep Murray. (opens up a whole new can of worms)

I know you have said that Poyet was a good manager in the past, but there are still those who try to say he was average. The history books will say otherwise.

Btw it hasn't been proven that Gus has done something very very wrong. He would have been sacked instantly, if that was true.

This is all about money and how much or how little compensation the split is going to cost either side. Gus wants to go, Tony wants him to go. It's all a matter of money now.

As for being a big mouth I see lots of ego centred managers in the leagues. Mourinho, Redknapp, Ferguson (before he retired) non of them are shrinking violets.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It's taken more than five weeks, we are starting the new season with no manager, it's been a PR disaster & we are on the verge of losing the best manager in a generation for nothing.

I think it's pretty ****ing obvious that the board has made mistakes.

You have absolutely no idea that the board could have done anything differently.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Budgets are relative. Mullery had a big budget from Bamber 30 odd years ago.
Poyet didn't spend much until we got promoted. Barnes was approx 250K and Noone less than that. Painter was on a free as was Calderon, Ankergren & Brezovan. As I have pointed out previously we went to the top in September, stayed there until the end of the season, won 8 matches out of 8 in March, and gained 95 points beating Southampton to the title who had a much larger budget than us.

Gus then had to force the board to change the way the budget was handled because it was so rigid, not allowing wages to be used instead of transfer fees. That was only changed last summer, when it was too late to keep Murray. (opens up a whole new can of worms)

I know you have said that Poyet was a good manager in the past, but there are still those who try to say he was average. The history books will say otherwise.

Btw it hasn't been proven that Gus has done something very very wrong. He would have been sacked instantly, if that was true.

This is all about money and how much or how little compensation the split is going to cost either side. Gus wants to go, Tony wants him to go. It's all a matter of money now.

As for being a big mouth I see lots of ego centred managers in the leagues. Mourinho, Redknapp, Ferguson (before he retired) non of them are shrinking violets.

Just a thought, but you are accepting Gus' version of the Muzza exit story, hook, line and sinker. Personally, I am not so sure Gus didn't just make a HUGE error in deciding not to make a more generous offer to the miserable one (Muzza). Accept what you say re easing the rigidity of the budget, and that obviously makes sense, so well done Gus on that one.

The Special One and Fergie have earnt the right to their admittedly huge ego's and respective big mouths. Both have obviously achieved a great deal more than Gus. 'arry, on the other hand, was as disrespectful as Gus only recently re his QPR budget flounce, and I criticised him for acting like an idiot on that a la Gus.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
How do you know the board has made any mistakes? I'll answer that for you - you don't. So show some faith in Tony and his board, and accept that Gus has done something very, very wrong. Probably more than his post-Palace BS, but we'll never know the details. Support your club, not the big-mouthed egotist, good (not great) manager tho' he is.

I'm open to hearing that Gus has done something severely wrong and therfor deserves to be sacked: if it turns out that he didnt put 100% effort into the Palace 2nd leg then I'll want him out as much as anyone on here.

How I differ from alot of the Gus haters on here is that all the other shite used to slate him doesnt bother me in the slightest. He's confident, young, naive, ambitious and one of the longest serving managers in the poxy country for god sake, surely that shows enough loyality for you. I've lost count of the amount of managers that have come out slating the lack of funds they have: none I can remember getting sacked for!

In response to the board making mistakes: 3 employees suspended, no one with any suggestion as to why. We have been told that the suspensions for some are: for separate offenses!! I find it very hard to believe this. All 3 of them did a variety of offenses in or around the po second leg? or was it earlier in the season, if so why not highlight it then? One has now been clear of any wrong doing (read into that what you will) and the man with the most to lose has not been mentioned since day one: Charlie is the one I worry for most out of all this.

Its such a mess, imho it's only highlighted less in the national media than Newcastle's situation because they're in the prem.

Poyet will go on to be a success somewhere, I'll watch and remember what was and what still should be!!! He has set the bar very high for the new manager (reverse the scoreline vs hull and we finish 2nd), how many of us are expecting to better last seasons result?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It's taken more than five weeks, we are starting the new season with no manager, it's been a PR disaster & we are on the verge of losing the best manager in a generation for nothing.

I think it's pretty ****ing obvious that the board has made mistakes.

Crikey, are you still sulking about this? He's gone, get over it, everyone else has.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm open to hearing that Gus has done something severely wrong and therfor deserves to be sacked: if it turns out that he didnt put 100% effort into the Palace 2nd leg then I'll want him out as much as anyone on here.

How I differ from alot of the Gus haters on here is that all the other shite used to slate him doesnt bother me in the slightest. He's confident, young, naive, ambitious and one of the longest serving managers in the poxy country for god sake surely that shows enough loyality for you. I've lost count of the amount of managers that have come out slating the lack of funds they have: none I can remember getting sacked for!

In response to the board making mistakes: 3 employees suspended, no one with any suggestion as to why. We have been told that the suspensions for some are: for separate offenses!! I find it very hard to believe this. All 3 of them did a variety of offenses in or around the po second leg? or was it earlier in the season, if so why not highlight it then? One has now been clear of any wrong doing (read into that what you will) and the man with the most to lose has not been mentioned since day one: Charlie is the one I worry for most out of all this.

Its such a mess, imho it's only highlighted less in the national media than Newcastle's situation because they're in the prem.

Poyet will go on to be a success somewhere, I'll watch and remember what was and what still should be!!! He has set the bar very high for the new manager (reverse the scoreline vs hull and we finish 2nd), how many of us are expecting to better last seasons result?

Expecting is a strong word. We may well have done worse than this season under Gus, and we may have won the league. I suspect we will never know. We may win the league under a new manager, and we may finish in a worse position. Again, who knows?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gus apologists? Considering the ride we have been on, there's nothing to apologise for. Get a grip.

Yes there is. Did you not listen to Gus' constant budget moans, Leeds love-ins, Suarez BS, ref diatribes, and so on? And as for not doing his job, specifically in failing to handle the retained list. Words fail me. And that's just what us fans know about. I suspect Tony may know about a lot worse.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
John Gregory and Alan Curbishley. Two managers once mentioned as contenders for the England job who's careers never recovered from lengthy litigation with their former employers. Win or lose the case, it can severely affect your career. If Gus chooses the legal route he may never get the big job he craves.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Yes there is. Did you not listen to Gus' constant budget moans, Leeds love-ins, Suarez BS, ref diatribes, and so on? And as for not doing his job, specifically in failing to handle the retained list. Words fail me. And that's just what us fans know about. I suspect Tony may know about a lot worse.
Don't waste your breath. Apparently every manager does that and Gus is a god.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

You suspect? But don't 'know'?

Look, I'm in neither 'camp' because I just want what's best for the team I support, but this constant poison you keep spouting about Gus while actually knowing nothing about what's happened other than a few honest words in a few interviews just makes you sound like a precious school kid who's had his sweets nicked.

Your must be really hard work if you get wound up this easily.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Gus was a very good manager of the team, the results show that. He was increasingly less than sensitive in his dealings with the media and in references to funding and his future aspirations. I believe he made it very clear that he wanted to leave when the time was right for him. However the club have now forced his hand. This is a broken marriage and he must now go. We may both be losers in this but it will happen.

With us, Gus had the goodwill of his past achievements. This will disappear with the move to his new club. The team has blown hot and cold, going for spells of good results followed by patchy ones. He will need to deliver where he goes and promptly. I am open minded as to whether he will be successful in his new job, wherever that may be. I do though believe that Gus will come to regret his actions and his departure from us. I do not believe the Board will miss him..

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Budgets are relative. Mulleiry had a big budget from Bamber 30 odd years ago.
Poyet didn't spend much until we got promoted. Barnes was approx 250K and Noone less than that. Painter was on a9 free as was Calderon, Ankergren & Brezovan. As I have pointed out previously we went to the cinema to8p in September, stayed there until the end of the season, won 8 matches out of 8 in March, and gained 95 points beating Southampton to the title who had a much larger budget than us.

Gus then hd to force the board to change the way the budget was handled because it was so rigid, not allowing wages to be used instead of transfer fees. That was only changed last summer, when it was too late to keep Murray. (opens up a whole new can of worms)

All of the mqnqgers quoted have proved their worth at the highest level, poyet hasn't.

Mullery had a big budget and maybe that was the start of the financial troubles.

How I differ from alot of the Gus haters on here is that all the other shite used to slate him doesnt bother me in the slightest. He's confident, young, naive, ambitious and one of the longest serving managers in the poxy country for god sake, surely that shows enough loyality for you. I've lost count of the amount of managers that have come out slating the lack of funds they have: none I can remember getting sacked for!

Tarrico found innocent but the other two suggests there is something. It may be about compensation but that is a lot of money.

You suspect? But don't 'know'?

Look, I'm in neither 'camp' because I just want what's best for the team I support, but this constant poison you keep spouting about Gus while actually knowing nothing about what's happened other than a few honest words in a few interviews just makes you sound like a precious school kid who's had his sweets nicked.

Your must be really hard work if you get wound up this easily.

Those honest words as you call them undermined his employers.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Will never happen. Gus seems to be some charismatic demi-god who can do no wrong.

The albion will rise again, and soon.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
John Gregory and Alan Curbishley. Two managers once mentioned as contenders for the England job who's careers never recovered from lengthy litigation with their former employers. Win or lose the case, it can severely affect your career. If Gus chooses the legal route he may never get the big job he craves.

If he goes to court it will be good to get the chargelist out into the open.

Graymac

May 1, 2013
Isle of wight
Mike Ashley keen on Gus Poyet if Newcastle manager Alan Pardew decides to leave
The Uruguayan has been assistant to the owner's close friend Dennis Wise and could move to St James's Park if Pardew's situation changes

Mike Ashley will bring in Gus Poyet if Alan Pardew decides he can take no more of Joe Kinnear at Newcastle, writes Alan Oliver of the Sunday People .

Owner Ashley enraged Toon fans by appointing Kinnear as director of football over manager Pardew’s head.

But that will be a minor tremor compared to the shockwaves caused by the arrival of Poyet, still in dispute with former club Brighton.

Poyet is close pals with Dennis Wise, who is still a hated figure on Tyneside after his time as the club’s director of football.

The Uruguayan was assistant manager to Wise at both Swindon and Leeds – and fans will fear Wise’s return is imminent if Poyet gets Ashley’s nod.

Ashley has ridden roughshod over the feelings of the Toon faithful by bringing Kinnear back so he would almost certainly not worry about installing Wise again.

Pardew, one year into an eight-year contract, has said he is going nowhere, but the breakdown of relations with chief scout Graham Carr has weakened him.

Ashley rates Carr highly and would sooner keep him than Pardew, whose position was further hurt by the departure this week of his ally Derek Llambias.

I cant start a new thread but some else can if they like, can you imagine Poyet, Wise & Kinnear- if that happens I feel sorry for the Newcastle fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here