Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Test Series- England in India- January & February 2024

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
This is the ugly side of Bazball. No change of mindset. Just stick to the only gameplan they know, irrespective of circumstances. Either win quickly or lose quickly. Wickets going down like a pack of cards and tailenders forced to try and prolong it, when all hope has been lost.
Sad to say but Root and Bairstow are not currently worth their place. Just wickets waiting to happen. Roots decision making has abandoned him.
England's batting strategy is geared to short term cricket. For some strange reason they feel they can apply it to 5 day Tests ( although in our case its usually 3/4 days )

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Bloody hell. Bazball is very frustrating. There is something very RDZ about it. No plan B. Teams know now - ride it out, you'll get your chances. Have to say though England's defence is even worse then ours.
Appalling really after a truly brilliant innings from Ducket.
Doesn't matter what sport it is, you can be revolutionary but you have to still do the basics properly.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is the ugly side of Bazball. No change of mindset. Just stick to the only gameplan they know, irrespective of circumstances. Either win quickly or lose quickly. Wickets going down like a pack of cards and tailenders forced to try and prolong it, when all hope has been lost.
Sad to say but Root and Bairstow are not currently worth their place. Just wickets waiting to happen. Roots decision making has abandoned him.
England's batting strategy is geared to short term cricket. For some strange reason they feel they can apply it to 5 day Tests ( although in our case its usually 3/4 days )
Maybe we got lucky with Bazball at first...it might have confused a few opposition teams but now they they put the ball in the right place and wait for us to destruct. So that's that.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Anybody who thinks England are bad for not playing test cricket seriously enough and placing too much emphasis on shorter formats, India are resting Bumrah for the next match "keeping his workload in mind - he's bowled 80.5 overs in the first three Tests - with an IPL season coming up followed closely by the 2024 T20 World Cup beginning on June 1".

Of course we'll probably find a way to lose 5 wickets for squat against Jaiswal's part time leg breaks.

In all seriousness, it's really bad for cricket in general and the series in particular that they feel the need to rest him.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If they bat as badly again and we lose this, then Root and Bairstow should be dropped.
They really need to come good this time.
Bairstow yes.

Root has got credit in the bank for a long time yet. I'm really not sure i'd back Lawrence to come in and score more than Root would.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Stokes bowling full tilt in the nets. Might make a return to bowling at Ranchi and he might not.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Also we might struggle to pick Lawrence twice if they drop both Root and Bairstow.
Well quite. If you dropped both you'd have to find an all rounder, but i'm not sure who in the touring party qualifies under that description!

All this shows how much we're missing Brook

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bairstow yes.

Root has got credit in the bank for a long time yet. I'm really not sure i'd back Lawrence to come in and score more than Root would.
Root not only has massive credit in the bank, regards his batting - he's also bowled 100+ overs in this series, at a RR of 3.1, and has taken 7 wickets (including those of KL Rahul, Jaiswal, Rohit and Jadeja twice)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Root not only has massive credit in the bank, regards his batting - he's also bowled 100+ overs in this series, at a RR of 3.1, and has taken 7 wickets (including those of KL Rahul, Jaiswal, Rohit and Jadeja twice)
And you can't help but thinking this could be affecting his batting

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Results suggest otherwise;

‘Before McCullum became coach, England had won one of its previous 17 tests. Since his arrival, England has won 14 of 21 tests — many of those victories coming in breathtaking fashion.’

I don’t think that becomes 21 victories out of 21 by abandoning the approach. An analogy would be RDZ ball. You might say stop taking risk playing the ball around at the back and you win a few of the games you currently lose but unfortunately that would also mean sacrificing the foundation of many of the wins.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Results suggest otherwise;

‘Before McCullum became coach, England had won one of its previous 17 tests. Since his arrival, England has won 14 of 21 tests — many of those victories coming in breathtaking fashion.’

I don’t think that becomes 21 victories out of 21 by abandoning the approach. An analogy would be RDZ ball. You might say stop taking risk playing the ball around at the back and you win a few of the games you currently lose but unfortunately that would also mean sacrificing the foundation of many of the wins.
I agree. But I'm sure Bazball can function at -10%

I don't think it would lose anything by not trying to premeditate a reverse sweep against Bumrah :ROFLMAO:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here