Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Test Series- England in India- January & February 2024

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Root scoring a hundred seemed pretty much a certainty the moment India decided to rest Bumrah.

I'd find it HILARIOUS to see that decision blow up in their faces (to the extent that it hasn't already).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It was just like watching... Joe Root

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This pitch is going to keep deteriorating, first innings runs are going to be massive

The perfect time for Joe Root IMHO, something to prove and a situation that called for him to do what he does best (bat a long period)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
That was a fantastic knock today, on a tricky pitch against bowlers with their tails up. That was Root knowing he owed the team, and Stokes in particular, an innings.

Root will know he f***ed up in the last test, that he played a shit shot at the wrong time, and one that ended up having the whole premise of Bazball and his skipper being questioned for days in the media. That was him paying them back and the celebration spoke to that.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Anyone else think Pope has got a little bit unlucky with his dismissal? Clearly it was within the parameters of Hawkeye but to be that far down, on the move and for the ball to be clipping the top of leg seems to be pushing it a bit.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
This pitch is going to keep deteriorating, first innings runs are going to be massive

The perfect time for Joe Root IMHO, something to prove and a situation that called for him to do what he does best (bat a long period)
I think you are right.

Lets hope we don't let India get a 100 runs lead otherwise it will be 3-1.

Reactions: A1X

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Anyone else think Pope has got a little bit unlucky with his dismissal? Clearly it was within the parameters of Hawkeye but to be that far down, on the move and for the ball to be clipping the top of leg seems to be pushing it a bit.

Ridiculously so. At no time, in the hundred+ year history of the game, has that been considered out. I'm amazed they reviewed it, tbh.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

If he tried not playing across the line while on the move first ball he might be less likely to miss a straight ball. :shrug:
Surprised they reviewed it. Don't see him as unlucky.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That was a fantastic knock today, on a tricky pitch against bowlers with their tails up. That was Root knowing he owed the team, and Stokes in particular, an innings.

Root will know he f***ed up in the last test, that he played a shit shot at the wrong time, and one that ended up having the whole premise of Bazball and his skipper being questioned for days in the media. That was him paying them back and the celebration spoke to that.
I haven't seen it, but I followed his scoring rate on the BBC website, and my thoughts that Root was saying that Bazball has its limits, its time and place, and today fell outside of it.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I haven't seen it, but I followed his scoring rate on the BBC website, and my thoughts that Root was saying that Bazball has its limits, its time and place, and today fell outside of it.
If it means anything, Bazball comes down to people playing how they feel most comfortable. That might mean Foakes scoring at about 2.5 an over, it might mean Duckett leaving 7 balls across his first 10 tests or whatever it was.
As it happens, this innings was actually a bit slow by Root's standards over his whole career.
It's worth bearing in mind that England have been drastically less prone to dramatic collapses since Stokes/McCullum took over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here