Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tesco Burgers

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If anyone wants to do any more Desert Orchid gags now is probably a good time.

*runs away*

Edit - TESCO Burgers. F***ing fingers

Pleased to help out :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If anyone wants to do any more Desert Orchid gags now is probably a good time.

*runs away*

Edit - TESCO Burgers. F***ing fingers
It seems like there are person(s) on this board that want such things sold at The AMEX, instead of pies.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
There's neigh way I'll be buying my burgers from Tesco now....

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It seems like there are person(s) on this board that want such things sold at The AMEX, instead of pies.

If they were flame grilled on the premises, juicy, tasty with fresh salad in them and in a lightly toasted bun with Heinz ketchup and a little bit of black pepper, then I would not moan at the alternative to our first class pies. (followed by a pint of Thatchers Gold)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i assume this is related to horse meat being found in Tesco's burgers (also Aldi, Lidl and Iceland, but they dont make for such a great headline).

im not sure why we have such an issue with horse meat. cant say i've tried it but have no problem in my mind that i'd chomp through a horse steak if offered up. meat is meat, reckon i'd rather some horse mince in my burger than mechanically reclaimed chicken in my hotdog (which is whats in them, bugger all pork in some).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Re: Telco Burgers

I'm not a food scientist but I've worked it out. Cows have evidently started eating horses.

They got the taste from being fed burgers in the 90s which possible tasted a bit horsey.

Cows tastes have just moved on.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Sorry just thought about that again.

It's quite possible horses are eating cows as well.

Or burgers.

Or both.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
I ate horsemeat once and it gave me the trots

Same here - day trip to France and ate one - Christ on a bike for colonic irrigation.

Re the Tesco story ... I thought something was up when i did my Tesco shop earlier. I asked for a price for the burgers on display and the assistant said 10 to 1 !

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

i assume this is related to horse meat being found in Tesco's burgers (also Aldi, Lidl and Iceland, but they dont make for such a great headline).

im not sure why we have such an issue with horse meat. cant say i've tried it but have no problem in my mind that i'd chomp through a horse steak if offered up. meat is meat, reckon i'd rather some horse mince in my burger than mechanically reclaimed chicken in my hotdog (which is whats in them, bugger all pork in some).

What about cat ?

My point being probably best to know what it is and where it has come from.

Frightening doc on C4 a years ago about the potential use of chemicals that break down DNA to hide the origin of meat products.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The press release I've seen said it was "horse DNA" not "horse meat" - so it could actually be some form of binder added. Except in the sample that apparently had over 30% horse content...

That the salami samples, which need binders more than most products, all had it might also suggest that.

Horse DNA found in some beef burger products - these are the organisation that actually found it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

The press release I've seen said it was "horse DNA" not "horse meat" - so it could actually be some form of binder added. Except in the sample that apparently had over 30% horse content...

That the salami samples, which need binders more than most products, all had it might also suggest that.

Horse DNA found in some beef burger products - these are the organisation that actually found it.

With cheap chicken they can add proteins so the raw meat holds more water.

Obviously to increase weight.

(You can always spot this meat - it" snaps" like chocolate when cooked)

But to pad out burgers you would add some form of rusk or cereal which would be cheaper than horse.

Salami is air dried meat.

So my money is on actual horse.

Edit: They didn't horse in the salami. So feasible in the burgers I guess. Some Shegar based additive.

Last edited:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've shopped at Tesco's for a couple of years now. I like their burgers. Not a problem for me. Sometimes I think it's better not to know exactly what is in some things....

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I've shopped at Tesco's for a couple of years now. I like their burgers. Not a problem for me. Sometimes I think it's better not to know exactly what is in some things....

Where possible I like to know. Two reasons...

1) I heard some shockers (from years ago) from some blokes who worked in a food plant.

2) A mate who used to go round testing.

Without going into detail and not getting worried about horse - stuff got in that really really shouldn't have.

I'd imagine it's all tightly controlled these days.........

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What about cat ?

My point being probably best to know what it is and where it has come from.

which is a very good point. i would definatly think twice about a cat, because i know the chances are its not been living in great conditions. but if it were farmed cat? i'm less concerned. horses tend to be looked after OK in life, at least enough to chance it verses knowing where alot of seafoods been and still scoffing that.

as far as the wider point of knowing where the meat has come from, the emphasis is on the horse for a purpose of eliciting a reaction that ignores that point. i'd hazard a guess this is meat destined for dog food that got slipped into the for human supply chain, either deliberatly or accidently, and some of that dog food is better quality than what the value end of supermarkets offer.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

this is meat destined for dog food that got slipped into the for human supply chain, either deliberatly or accidently, and some of that dog food is better quality than what the value end of supermarkets offer.

Certain parts of the cow are controlled because of BSE and are banned for use in these protein additives.

Irrespective of our shock that some people like to munch on horse whatever the quality, you shouldn't have to test food for species because of the reasons above.

Also worrying how many steps you have to take to work out the origin of meat sometimes.

I could be talking bollocks, but I may have ate some in a shepherds pie last night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here