Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Terry Venables - RIP

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Gary Neville's tribute is particularly insightful:

"So sorry to hear the news of my very first England coach, Terry Venables. A man who gave me a chance to play for my country and became without a shadow of doubt my number one England coach in my whole career. There were three things that were important to me about Venables."

"The first is when we hear people that play for Pep Guardiola now say that he can call the outcome of a game in training a few days before the match arrives, Terry Venables had that very same capability, he’d come through the Barcelona system. In Euro 96 as a right back, I played as a conventional right back in the first match, the right of a back three in parts of the second match against Scotland and as a right winger when we were in possession through our goalkeeper in the third match against Holland and in the fourth match against Spain in the quarter final as a right wing back."

"The ability that we had to change systems during matches and from game to game was incredible, it blew my mind. England certainly needed more like him and it was a real sadness when he left at the end of Euro 96, I felt it never got as good again for England as it was under him. The second thing was that he was an unbelievable personality and character, larger than life. He was someone who was a players man, looked after his players, stood up for his players in big situations like the pre-96 trip to Hong Kong and the dentist chair incident."

"He was someone who the players trusted and had great faith in and he always spoke openly and he was a personality that was far too big for the then rigid and stiff FA football association and that’s why they got rid of him after Euro 96 and why the relationship ended. The third thing is what all great coaches need. He had an unbelievable ruthlessness and clinical side to him. We had brilliant leaders in that dressing room like Ince, Adams, Shearer, Platt, Gascoigne, Southgate and Seaman."

"He handled them all really strongly and they all knew who the boss was. There were many times where he would come in at half-time and call out one of the senior players and there were few England managers who could do that and Terry had that quality. I sit here today thinking back to my special times with Terry and can say he is without doubt the most technically gifted British coach we’ve ever produced."

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Im not surprised at the respect shown by those on NSC to a great player, manager and by all accounts person.

Thought id look at the BBS to see similar. Was surprised only 6 posts when i looked, the 5th of which is unbelievably classless.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Im not surprised at the respect shown by those on NSC to a great player, manager and by all accounts person.

Thought id look at the BBS to see similar. Was surprised only 6 posts when i looked, the 5th of which is unbelievably classless.

Wow. They really don't seem to have liked him - I thought he was one of their great managers!

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
RIP El Tel

Considered one of the great England managers, however, only won 2 competetive games in normal time?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Great manager poor choice of clubs perhaps but a lovely bloke and sad to see he has passed away. Condolences to his family. RIP.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Euro 96 memories that last forever

RIP

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Wow. They really don't seem to have liked him - I thought he was one of their great managers!
He was but left both times in very controversial circumstances.

But anyway, look at the ages of that palace team that won the first division in 79, very impressive they were so young.

Burridge 26
Hinshelwood 22
Sansom 19
Gilbert 18
Cannon 24
Murphy 18
Nicholas 18
Kember 29
Walsh 19
Swindelhurst 22
Hilaire 18
Fenwick 18

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Palace fans

IMG_2851.jpeg

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
RIP El Tel

Considered one of the great England managers, however, only won 2 competetive games in normal time?
Really not the time or place for this - but he obv didn't play many competitive matches as England automatically qualified for Euro 96.

Also, the two he won were two of the greatest England matches of ALL TIME. Was at Wembley for both.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So Farewell then, Terry Venables
Football manager of some repute
You gave us Lineker, Archibald and England pride
An Englishman, lauded in Spain
And you almost rescued the Middlesborough drinker
Not a Gooner, but a Crooner
Your England reign crushed by a snidey Mirror
RIP El Tel x

EJ Tackle, 65.75

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Sky Sports News are showing a tribute programme at 30 past each hour. I've just watched the 2030 one - a brilliant watch. As a 17 year old in the pub watching Euro96 he'll always be a footballing hero of mine. It was an amazing time I'll always love. RIP El Tel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here