Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tennessee brings back the electric chair

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
What really annoys me is the libels elite, yet again, always thinking about the criminals and not the victims and the victims family. Maybe if the soft libels experienced one of their family being brutality murdered then maybe they'd think differently but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Michael Portillo voted for the death penalty in the 80s then rejected it in the 90s as apparently it's barbaric so went to the USA to investigate into the science of execution and wanted to know if there is a humane way of executing people.

Me, I like knowing that people suffer when they are being executed because they didn't show any mercy for the victims.

46:00 towards the end when the Yank tells Portillo what he thinks about this new formula that would allow prisoners to die in a humane way.

[yt]vbAmu3DXk5c[/yt]

Last edited:

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
This of course may happen but it is rare these days with DNA etc. The murderer must be guilty just like Huntley, enough time spent in prison for appeals and cast iron proof. Then if there is no doubt, throw the switch.
If my scenario happened to you, would you do the same as me?

I know I keep repeating this but plenty of people have been released from jail after years after guilty verdicts and many appeals. When is it safe to says there is 'no doubt'.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
The courts don't give statistical likelihoods of guilt so this is a blind alley. Although the point that you can't kill someone without 100% proof doesn't make much sense. We're perfectly happy to jail someone for their whole life on less than absolute proof, why draw a line in the sand at execution?

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
The courts don't give statistical likelihoods of guilt so this is a blind alley. Although the point that you can't kill someone without 100% proof doesn't make much sense. We're perfectly happy to jail someone for their whole life on less than absolute proof, why draw a line in the sand at execution?

Because you can reverse a decision and release someone or declare then innocent after their sentence, harder to put things right if you have hung them. The ability to appeal ends if you stop breathing

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace

Because execution presents an insuperable obstacle to the remediation of an injustice.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Regardless on one’s views on the death penalty, it interested me that the average time spent on death alley between sentencing and execution is now nearly 16 years, more than doubling since 1984. This must mean that some die of natural causes anyway whilst waiting.

time_on_dr.png

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Regardless on one’s views on the death penalty, it interested me that the average time spent on death alley between sentencing and execution is now nearly 16 years, more than doubling since 1984. This must mean that some die of natural causes anyway whilst waiting.

time_on_dr.png

Jodi Arias got convicted of first degree murder last year in Arizona and she got arrested in may 2008 after stabbing her boyfriend 29 times then cutting his throat from ear to ear so the spine was exposed then for good measures put a bullet in his head. The jury couldn't decide on the penalty face so now after a year she has her day on court on September the 8th. If she doesn't get the death penalty then the U.S should abounded the death penalty completely because if anyone deserves it then it is that whore Arias.

Been in prison for 6 years, if the whore gets the death penalty it could be 20 years before they stick the needle in her arm.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Because you can reverse a decision and release someone or declare then innocent after their sentence, harder to put things right if you have hung them. The ability to appeal ends if you stop breathing

Because execution presents an insuperable obstacle to the remediation of an injustice.

Fair enough, points taken. I'm anti- as well, just a bit of devil's advocate.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Totally barbaric. There's no place for this in 2014.

If you had kids and some ******* totured them ,raped them and finally killed them I'm pretty sure that would change your mind it certainly would mine.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
But the police did falsify confessions and it would have been hard to grant appeals on any grounds if they had been put to death in the 1970's. They were totally innocent of those bombings but the state would have hung them all

I've talked to people from RUC special branch, they were totally innocent in the same way Russell bishop was totally innocent of the wild park murders, they had SOMETHING to do with it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I've talked to people from RUC special branch, they were totally innocent in the same way Russell bishop was totally innocent of the wild park murders, they had SOMETHING to do with it.

I remember Martin MGuiness meeting them off their returning coach after their release and hugging them all.
(The Birmingham 6 ... I haven't read the whole thread) It made me wonder.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What really annoys me is the libels elite, yet again, always thinking about the criminals and not the victims and the victims family. Maybe if the soft libels experienced one of their family being brutality murdered then maybe they'd think differently but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Michael Portillo voted for the death penalty in the 80s then rejected it in the 90s as apparently it's barbaric so went to the USA to investigate into the science of execution and wanted to know if there is a humane way of executing people.

Me, I like knowing that people suffer when they are being executed because they didn't show any mercy for the victims.

46:00 towards the end when the Yank tells Portillo what he thinks about this new formula that would allow prisoners to die in a humane way.

[yt]vbAmu3DXk5c[/yt]

If your wish is to see the death penalty restored there would be more chance if it was done in a humane way. After watching the guy at 46 mins it made me realise why it will never come back over here. Interesting video none the less.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I knew an officer who to the day he died was convinced that they had the correct 4 people for the Guildford bombings but he maintained they would be released on appeal not because they were innocent but because the senior officer concerned embelished his evidence to ensure a conviction, he died before they were freed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here