Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team Poyet vs Team Adams

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Totally agree with this. I think it's fair to say that Adams worked with a smaller budget than Gus, which is reflected in what you say. Before Kuipers turned into an error prone bully, he was magnificent for us between the sticks. Morgan was the most cultured centre back we've had since our top flight days and Bobby is one of our top five players if all time.

Mind you though Simster - picture Kuipers on his six-yard line, ball at his feet from a pass back, with an on-rushing forward. Ankegren has the ball skills to deal with it. Kuipers could not kick for toffees (let alone pass). It is difficult to see Poyet wanting Kuipers (even in his pomp) in his team.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Butters wasn't ever an Adams player. He arrived with Hinsh and left when Wilkins released him.

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
So much of what makes us good is down to Kishishev (i cant choose between him and carpenter), his combination with dicker and bennett is the strongest part of our team. Of course throw calderon bombing forward, not forgetting painter and lua lua.

Also our flexible formation 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 is largely because of Barnes, whose excellent off the ball and works so hard and has a superb football brain. Although a lot of the children on here wont understand. So agreeing that gus' way is the way it would be murray or zamora and barnes or hart/brooker.

i'm not sure how we will replace kish, but every month since gus arrived we've got stronger...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Mind you though Simster - picture Kuipers on his six-yard line, ball at his feet from a pass back, with an on-rushing forward. Ankegren has the ball skills to deal with it. Kuipers could not kick for toffees (let alone pass). It is difficult to see Poyet wanting Kuipers (even in his pomp) in his team.
I would agree. And equally, if he was going to play Kuipers, then he might consider playing Paul Watson instead of Painter if he knew the amount Zamora would score via Watson's crosses.

Personally I much prefer watching Gus' tippy tappy team, building from the back and being able to score from anywhere.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
With the greatest respect to Kerry (Albion legend that he is), he wouldn't get near this squad even on his best day

bit unfair. kerry's very best season in my opinion was under coppell in the championship, when he played as a left sided centre half (as one of three central defenders), as a left wing back and as conventional left back (i think, perhaps someone with a better memory or access to the facts could verify that).

without hinshelwood's 13-in-a-row involvement we would have stayed up that season... and kerry played a integral part in our mid-table form we showed under coppell.

massively underated player was our kerry. plus he's a proper albion fan which marks him up in my book.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I won't make up a team (cos these things are so difficult to judge), but what I will say is that I think that if the Adams team were to play our lot now, they'd win.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. NO chance.

In this division we are yet to play anyone with remotely the attacking class we had in those days.

Zamora, Steele, Brooker or McLean, Boyd, Mackail-Smith?
I think we have, and look what happened.

Cassive Mock

Nov 14, 2007
T/Wells
So much of what makes us good is down to Kishishev (i cant choose between him and carpenter), his combination with dicker and bennett is the strongest part of our team. Of course throw calderon bombing forward, not forgetting painter and lua lua.

Also our flexible formation 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 is largely because of Barnes, whose excellent off the ball and works so hard and has a superb football brain. Although a lot of the children on here wont understand. So agreeing that gus' way is the way it would be murray or zamora and barnes or hart/brooker.

i'm not sure how we will replace kish, but every month since gus arrived we've got stronger...

Totally agree, Kish has been immense in recent weeks and has totally dominated the midfield, he has also been hard as nails putting in strong challenges and setting an example to the younger players. :bowdown:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I won't make up a team (cos these things are so difficult to judge), but what I will say is that I think that if the Adams team were to play our lot now, they'd win.

Not a chance. That side gave me some of my best moments as an Albion fan but they couldn't beat this team.

In this division we are yet to play anyone with remotely the attacking class we had in those days.

Peterborough don't count? We've also played 8 of the top 13 sides and have conceded 8 goals in 14 games. Even with Zamora, Adams' team would struggle to score against Gus's side.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I've done mine excluding loanees;

Kuipers
Calderon (RB)
Cullip (CB)
Morgan (CB)
Painter (LB)

Bennett (RW)
Carpenter (CM)
Kishishev (CM)
Dicker (CM)
Brooker (LW)

Zamora (ST)

Including loanees I'd have Lua-Lua ahead of Brooker.

Subs; Ankergren, El-Abd, Watson, Oatway, Murray, Hart, Rod Thomas

FLAIRtastic

Aug 29, 2010
Greer and Cullip would scare the f*** out of any striker

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
this team would piss all over adam's team. but barnes would probably miss 3 open goals after murrey had put us 1 up.

king bob would then notch late on from a watson set piece delivery to make it 1.1.

lualua comes off the bench and literally walks past cullip before smashing home the winner

Overall Leaders

Most Wins: 9 Brighton & Hove Albion
Fewest Losses: 1 Brighton & Hove Albion
Colchester United
Most Draws: 8 Colchester United
Highest Points per Game: 2.21 Brighton & Hove Albion
Fewest Goals Conceded: 8 Brighton & Hove Albion
Lowest Goals Conceded Average: 0.57 Brighton & Hove Albion
Highest Goal Difference: 16 Brighton & Hove Albion
Most Clean Sheets: 7 Brighton & Hove Albion , Sheffield Wednesday
Longest Undefeated Sequence: 11 Brighton & Hove Albion
Home Leaders
Most Wins: 5 Peterborough United , Brighton & Hove Albion
Fewest Losses: 0 Brighton & Hove Albion
Highest Points per Game: 2.42 Brighton & Hove Albion

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Loads of people have included Paul Watson in their teams. I notice Tanno has been drafted in as a reserve full back - wouldnt it be worth doing the same with Paul Watson who is also on our staff, just for his free kicks alone. He`s two years younger than Tanno isnt he? He could also give emergency physio when required.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
1. Ankergren
2. Calderon
3. Painter
4. Kish
5. Greer
6. Morgan
7. Bennett
8. Murray
9. Zamora
10. Dicker
11. Lualua

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Loads of people have included Paul Watson in their teams. I notice Tanno has been drafted in as a reserve full back - wouldnt it be worth doing the same with Paul Watson who is also on our staff, just for his free kicks alone. He`s two years younger than Tanno isnt he? He could also give emergency physio when required.

that's very funny.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Not saying he should be in the starting eleven but Lee Steele definately has to be included in the squad.
Shame about the drink problem that ended his time at the club thought he was a great partner for Zamora and would always put in a good shift and come up with a goal.
Would take Paul Brooker over Lua-Lua till he becomes a permanent Albion fixture (we can dream).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here