Team Poyet vs Team Adams

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jharris

Feb 27, 2009
Try picking the best Albion X1 from Adams best players and Poyets and
see what would would be the strongest line-up.

Something like this I guess ?? (just fun )

Kuipers(or Ankergren)
Calderon Cullip Greer (or Morgan) Painter
Bennett Oatway(or Kish) Carpenter (or Dicker) LuaLua
Murray Zamora

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Brezovan
Calderon Cullip Greer Painter
Bennett Dicker Oatway Lualua
Murray Zamora

Ankergren
Butters
Watson
Carpenter
Rodgers
Brooker
Barnes

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Watson was a right back. Never looked anywhere near as comfortable on the left. He'd struggle to get in over Calderon.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Poyet's Albion would make the Posh game look like an even contest compared to what would happen to Adams' Albion if the two were to play each other.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Watson was a right back. Never looked anywhere near as comfortable on the left. He'd struggle to get in over Calderon.

Watson was left-footed. He only played at right back because Mayo was too one-footed to play there.

I think my team would be the same as Brett's

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Kuipers
Calderon Morgan El-Abd Painter
Bennett Oatway Dicker LuaLua
Murray Zamora

Jimmy Grimble

Kuipers
Calderon Morgan Greer Painter
Bennett Carpenter Dicker LuaLua
Zamora Murray

note: Watson was left-footed but played the best part of his career as a right-back. Not that it matters in this instance as Calderon and Painter both slightly edge Watto as much as I love him.

BHABen

Jan 12, 2010
Kuipers
Calderon, Cullip, Elphick, Painter
Bennet, Carpenter, Kish, Dicker, LuaLua
Zamora

Subs:Murray, Hart, Oatway, Watson, Greer

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I'd have Carpenter, Oatway, Hart in there somewhere if only as subs.

One forgets how good Cullip was till an exercise like this. Only a little love for Kuipers, I see.

No love for Butters, but a shout for Elphick?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Won't make a team, but I think Kuipers, Zamora, Brooker and Cullip or Morgan (really can't choose on defence) would get in. And to suggest that Carpenter in his pomp would not get into our current team (no matter how good we are) is ridiculous - the man was bloody amazing!

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I won't make up a team (cos these things are so difficult to judge), but what I will say is that I think that if the Adams team were to play our lot now, they'd win.

In this division we are yet to play anyone with remotely the attacking class we had in those days.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Kuipers, Morgan and Zamora for me. The Adams midfield were more perspiration than inspiration (though I love them dearly).
Totally agree with this. I think it's fair to say that Adams worked with a smaller budget than Gus, which is reflected in what you say. Before Kuipers turned into an error prone bully, he was magnificent for us between the sticks. Morgan was the most cultured centre back we've had since our top flight days and Bobby is one of our top five players if all time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports