Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Take a bow Mrs Barnes

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Barnes tried but is just not a target man. Played much better when lita came on.

But when Gus played him wide, you lot used to bleat that he is bound to under perform as that wasn't his natural position, I don't understand where you think he should or could play.....key point is he doesn't score anymore, this level of football is just too much for him.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I love this charity that Barnes gets, he isn't a lone striker, he needs to play alongside a front man......its a shame the same charity isn't given to CMS when he is flogging himself across the pitch time and again chasing lost causes from poor service.

Heard it all now.

CMS had almost unconditional support for a season and a quarter, Barnes has hardly ever had everyone fully behind him. First he had the Murray lovers against him at Withdean and that has never changed.

I actually thought he was only average last night, nothing more.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Barnes scores a couple, or has some assists that that lead to goals against Doncaster I fully expect comments from the usual suspects that it's not good enough.

Have we ever had another player so vilified by a section of our fans?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Sorry, but did I miss him score, I can't understand this lionisation of him. As its the first time we have seen such a thread all season, does this mean he has been mediocre and below average previously. I thought almost every player worked hard last night.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I also think Ash was the MoM but I thought the whole team did well as most fans felt we would be lucky not to lose by 3 goals.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So predictable. He turned up and done his job, that we all chip in for and everybody goes mad. He done ok, I agree. But we didn't win, which we probably should have, he didn't score a match winner or earn us three points single handed. He done his job and he done it to a level, we should all expect. Nothing more, christ on a bike. I know the abuse he has got has upset his fan club, but this thread is a tad over the top. He had a good game, nothing more!!!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Heard it all now.

CMS had almost unconditional support for a season and a quarter, Barnes has hardly ever had everyone fully behind him. First he had the Murray lovers against him at Withdean and that has never changed.

I actually thought he was only average last night, nothing more.
Your going to have to look 'unconditional' up in the dictionary.

Barnes had a good game last night, esp when you consider his form coming into the game.

We play a completely different tempo, now, within the same style, but last night AB still managed to be poorly serviced.
He ain't getting nuffink from a 60 yard Upson punt up field.

Barnes doesn't seem to have an atribute that suits the direction the team is heading.
He's not as fast as CMS.
He's not as holduperer as Ulloa.
He's not as skillful as either.

Still good game last night, maybe he can go on and trouble a lesser defence.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He's not as skillful as either.

Still good game last night, maybe he can go on and trouble a lesser defence.

This is a wind up if right? Are you really suggesting that CMS is more skilful than Barnes? Nah, definitely a wind up

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is a wind up if right? Are you really suggesting that CMS is more skilful than Barnes? Nah, definitely a wind up
He doesn't have the skill, or maybe it's, he doesn't have the pace to get past people.

When was the last time he went past the last defender to bear down on goal?

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Also thought Barnes was good last night. We just need to get some better service up to him.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He doesn't have the skill, or maybe it's, he doesn't have the pace to get past people.

When was the last time he went past the last defender to bear down on goal?

Not the pace of CMS but his ball control, layoffs and vision are streets ahead.

Now the petulance has gone he is also much stronger at shielding the ball than CMS but still not big enough, strong enough and fast enough to play as a lone striker.

CMS has the pace, the goal scoring attributes of both are on a par IMO. That may sound stupid given Barnes goal scoring record this season but I'm talking historically.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But when Gus played him wide, you lot used to bleat that he is bound to under perform as that wasn't his natural position, I don't understand where you think he should or could play.....key point is he doesn't score anymore, this level of football is just too much for him.
Under Oscar, Barnes out on the left, in favour of lets say KLL, won't look odd at all.

It does seem strange how Barnes and CMS can generate such myopia.

I guess it's more to do with the force of the chipping off one camp does against the other, than actual attributes on the pitch.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
He is a striker who cant score goals...This is a problem regardless how well he played last night.Unless they have changed the rules, goals win games....14 games gone, zero goals...If people really believe Barnes is the answer, then you have resigned yourselfs ti mid/lower table.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not the pace of CMS but his ball control, layoffs and vision are streets ahead.

Now the petulance has gone he is also much stronger at shielding the ball than CMS but still not big enough, strong enough and fast enough to play as a lone striker.

CMS has the pace, the goal scoring attributes of both are on a par IMO. That may sound stupid given Barnes goal scoring record this season but I'm talking historically.

That's my point.

Ulloa would have been so much better than Barnes last night at that game plan.
CMS would have been so much better than Barnes last night had we decided to play on the shoulder of the last defender.
Ulloa and CMS together could cause all kinds of havoc.

Where does Barnes fit in?

Good luck with the petulance, I hope it's long gone, but I can't help thinking it hasn't gone far enough.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Considering the game plan didn't suit him I thought he did fairly well. Not convinced he was as amazing as some are suggesting, but he did OK. I think the gushing praise probably says more about how little we expect from a centre forward in the absence of Ulloa.

Would put him on the left at Doncaster with Lita through the middle and Buckley on the right.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Usual suspects can't see what he does. He's not that good in the role but because the defender wasn't strong he dominated, bought players in, and rarely put a foot wrong. Mom for me, closely followed by Upson and Buckley.
Is he the answer? No of course not as that's not his favoured position. But he's trying for the team.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That's my point.

Ulloa would have been so much better than Barnes last night at that game plan.
CMS would have been so much better than Barnes last night had we decided to play on the shoulder of the last defender.
Ulloa and CMS together could cause all kinds of havoc.

Where does Barnes fit in?

Good luck with the petulance, I hope it's long gone, but I can't help thinking it hasn't gone far enough.

It will be interesting to see what Oscar goes with when CMS is fit. I have a feeling Barnes may move on in January though so maybe we'll never know.

For what it's worth I think Barnes laying off balls to Ulloa and vice versa could work well. By the same token, the pace of CMS and his worrying of defenders would be a big plus. Oh that we could have either combination at the moment :smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It will be interesting to see what Oscar goes with when CMS is fit. I have a feeling Barnes may move on in January though so maybe we'll never know.
Oh good god no.

He might not be my cup of tea, but I'd still rather have him than nothing.
This autumn has been so painful up front, selling 'strikers' for the sake of 16 (or whatever) games makes no sense at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here