Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Sycamore Gap Tree

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Having worked for the National Park - I can quite honestly say I’m utterly and completely f***ed off by this mindless act… the only bit of good news is that they’ve apprehended one of the culprits…

I hate humanity sometimes.
What did you do Kosh - were you on the Ranger side of things? (I work for the Lake District NPA).

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
maybe he/she/they/them/whatever should have to stand there everyday between 8.00 and 20.00 with a placard around neck that reads ’I am the brain dead snivelling little sh1t who thought it hilarious to cut down a 100 year old tree. Please feel free to give me a smack in the gob’
It’s worse than that, the tree was about 300 years old.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Been there several times. It’s clearly absolutely premeditated and planned. It’s not the sort of place you can get to without a very long walk or someone to drive you close, then still a lengthy walk. Unlikely a 16 year old would drive there by themselves. To carry a big chainsaw there makes it extra hard work. My fear is it’s some 16 year old twat who did it as some sort of filmed social media stunt in a hope it would make him rich and/or famous. If so, then the social media platform it was intended for should be made to pay for a replacement tree in the most fully grown form that can be planted back at the site. Not a little sapling, a bloody big tree. Don’t care if it costs them millions.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
8p2X.gif

A stoning of the **** would be my choice.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
View attachment 167225Took this in 2008. Wasn't aware of the film link which I still haven't seen.

Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman stopped there on their way to Nottingham after landing on the South Coast.

Obviously Google Maps was a bit less reliable back then.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman stopped there on their way to Nottingham after landing on the South Coast.

Obviously Google Maps was a bit less reliable back then.
Yes I remember that they rowed across the Channel, landed on the beach and declared that they should leave immediately in order to get to Nottingham by nightfall. Presumably by Inter-City from Folkestone.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Any over 18s involved in this need a chainsaw taking to their privates.

Then they can go in the woodchipper.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Suffice it to say people up here are seriously pissed off about this.
Down here they’re not too pleased either.

Could be cultural vandalism by Russians, sort of low risk, high gain act they love to do. We are at war remember everyone in all but name.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
What did you do Kosh - were you on the Ranger side of things? (I work for the Lake District NPA).
Farming and rural enterprise officer.

My remit was woodland creation, so (yes) I’m a little bit miffed.

The irony here is that you probably wouldn’t get permission to plant a replacement bang slap in the middle of a scheduled monument and right in the middle of wader (Curlew) territory… although if it were replaced I’d prefer a native Oak or even a Beech… sadly I think we’ll only be left with the memories and none of us will live to see a mature tree take root & flourish in the gap again 😭

I’m now working as a catchment advisor, planting trees along riparian corridors and restoring rivers to their natural state…

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
16 yr old arrested in connection with I see.

Should be thrashed with the BIRCH…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here