Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC - 2023 Season Edition

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Greenfield, BTW, is now doing an excellent job of running the Academy and other emerging player development projects. He has, by the current Board, been managed back into his most (track)suited role that benefits Sussex Cricket.
When Yards left to take over England U19s I was gutted. From a personal POV I had struck up a good friendship with him, and my lad was blossoming in the Academy under his guidance & methods, but I was deeply unsure of KG being given that role as he seemed a bit "old skool" for today's kids.
A year and a bit on, and my lad seems to have taken a big leap in maturity and "cricket IQ" under KG, despite being injured most of the season, & gets on well with him. Having had a meeting with KG myself in September, I feel that he really does have the best interests of the Academy at heart.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
And let's not forget that the Hundred hasn't helped any of the counties that don't host a franchise.
We've been swimming against the tide for a while now.

Orr has moved to a neighbouring county with a test ground and a Hundred team, while the non-Hundred venues like Hove, Canterbury, Derby, Northampton, Worcester, Bristol are left scratching around in the middle of summer for the scraps.

It's not a coincidence that the talented players that have departed from Sussex haven't joined any of the above counties that don't host test cricket or the Hundred.
The best Sussex can do is to try to stay within budget and debt free, develop youngsters for England and hold on to them as long as possible before they sign bigger contracts elsewhere.

It's a depressing scenario, but we need to be honest with ourselves as to what we are and how far the club can go without incurring large debts.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
When Yards left to take over England U19s I was gutted. From a personal POV I had struck up a good friendship with him, and my lad was blossoming in the Academy under his guidance & methods, but I was deeply unsure of KG being given that role as he seemed a bit "old skool" for today's kids.
A year and a bit on, and my lad seems to have taken a big leap in maturity and "cricket IQ" under KG, despite being injured most of the season, & gets on well with him. Having had a meeting with KG myself in September, I feel that he really does have the best interests of the Academy at heart.
That is good to read. My experience with him wasnt great but pleased that he is now in the right role

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Farbrace is a breath of fresh air. He won’t tolerate idiots and Orr’s agent is one. He’s been badly advised and Farbrace won’t accept it or the way Orr tried to hold the club to ransom.

He’s looking to build a squad that will compete next season, he was told the staff and wage bill needed to be reduced to allow him to bring in the quality of player he’s looking for. The players released to date will allow exactly that to happen and gives him the scope to bring in quality replacements.

I think people’s attitudes will change when the next overseas player is announced (who will also be captain) I’m also aware of 2 or 3 quality additions that are in talks with Farbrace who will improve us greatly.

As for Matt Prior mouthing off on social media, this is the guy that still holds a grudge as he couldn’t afford for his kids to stay on the pathway when he was declared bankrupt and felt he had a God given right not to pay like all the other parents have to.
I think that last comment is harsh. Why should any parent have to pay to have their kids on a pathway? All it does is exacerbate the issue that cricket isnt bringing through a diverse group of new players?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
And let's not forget that the Hundred hasn't helped any of the counties that don't host a franchise.
We've been swimming against the tide for a while now.

Orr has moved to a neighbouring county with a test ground and a Hundred team, while the non-Hundred venues like Hove, Canterbury, Derby, Northampton, Worcester, Bristol are left scratching around in the middle of summer for the scraps.

It's not a coincidence that the talented players that have departed from Sussex haven't joined any of the above counties that don't host test cricket or the Hundred.
The best Sussex can do is to try to stay within budget and debt free, develop youngsters for England and hold on to them as long as possible before they sign bigger contracts elsewhere.

It's a depressing scenario, but we need to be honest with ourselves as to what we are and how far the club can go without incurring large debts.
If being honest is key then that honesty needs to be in the comms. If you took them all at face value, we are the best sussex cricket has ever seen and all players (and coaches) that leave are difficult to handle

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Because so few stars to watch and little 4 day cricket in the summer I gave up membership. Attend a couple of times a season now for a social. Rest of time look at a stream available for every game. Can never understand this. What benefit is it to the club. Certainly stops me going many times and sure is case for others.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I think that last comment is harsh. Why should any parent have to pay to have their kids on a pathway? All it does is exacerbate the issue that cricket isnt bringing through a diverse group of new players?
100%.

My lad goes to a state school, we dont have much money, and we have battled through 6 or 7 years of having to find money for the pathway since U10/11s.
Even now, in the Academy, he / we dont have the money available to buy new gear each season when the old stuff wears out / bats break, or going on Tours abroad etc, so my lad is having to talk to KG to see if he knows of any sponsorship opportunities to try and bring costs down, & make it a little more affordable for us. Every other kid in the Academy has everything on a plate from rich parents it seems, while we have to ask generous grandparents if they can help out.

Cricket is still, and always will be IMO, an elite sport for the well-to-do and Private School kids. Its been a huge struggle sometimes trying to keep up with it all, but we do what we can.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Interesting I certainly know several parents who have not gone ahead with this because of cost which seems a shame

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
100%.

My lad goes to a state school, we dont have much money, and we have battled through 6 or 7 years of having to find money for the pathway since U10/11s.
Even now, in the Academy, he / we dont have the money available to buy new gear each season when the old stuff wears out / bats break, or going on Tours abroad etc, so my lad is having to talk to KG to see if he knows of any sponsorship opportunities to try and bring costs down, & make it a little more affordable for us. Every other kid in the Academy has everything on a plate from rich parents it seems, while we have to ask generous grandparents if they can help out.

Cricket is still, and always will be IMO, an elite sport for the well-to-do and Private School kids. Its been a huge struggle sometimes trying to keep up with it all, but we do what we can.
This is really disappointing. I presume they supply all of the playing kit (as in clothing)? so you are left paying for the equipment, plus all the travelling, etc.

Stuff is so expensive now, too - I haven't bought a new bat in almost 20 years - and that I went halves on with my late Dad - I rarely use it anyway, as our top order never let the bowlers have a go! I did look at some recently out of interest, and was genuinely astonished at the prices. I had no idea at all that club cricketers were paying £600+ for new bat, but it seems that the high-end Newbery bat I have, would cost those kind of prices to replace :eek:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
100%.

When I was playing for Newhaven u-14s, u-16s etc. they managed to dig out some old pads for me to use so my mum didn't have to fork out for a new pair (and to be clear, I was shit even then).
That kids actually involved with County clubs (any of the CCCs, not just Sussex) are forced off because they can't afford it is outrageous.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
The reason I asked that specific question was around external funding for cricket. I assume there aren't FFP equivalent regulations covering county cricket, so if someone like Tony Bloom, or actual Tony Bloom decided to invest into Sussex, maybe even including a new test capable ground somewhere in the county, it would be possible.

Without a new ground, it would still be feasible to support Sussex if you're an interested Billionaire.

Imagine a partnership between the Albion and Sussex, with the new country ground across the road from the Amex or co-located with the women's new ground somewhere convenient.
I seem to recall when Albion were looking for a site for a new ground it was floated by some that it would be a good idea to also accommodate SCCC. Equally Hampshire built a new state of the art county ground with a hotel, they stepped in to help out during covid but have been snubbed ever since.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
This is really disappointing. I presume they supply all of the playing kit (as in clothing)? so you are left paying for the equipment, plus all the travelling, etc.

Stuff is so expensive now, too - I haven't bought a new bat in almost 20 years - and that I went halves on with my late Dad - I rarely use it anyway, as our top order never let the bowlers have a go! I did look at some recently out of interest, and was genuinely astonished at the prices. I had no idea at all that club cricketers were paying £600+ for new bat, but it seems that the high-end Newbery bat I have, would cost those kind of prices to replace :eek:
I have 2 sons who play cricket. One had a stop start/ poor experience with trials and opportunities with sussex and has now reached the point where he has fallen out of love with cricket. It saddens me as he is a good player but has had to play up 2 years due to a small number of kids his own age group playing and it has impacted confidence etc

My older son is now playing mens cricket (4ths, 3rds and now 2nds). The expense is huge even at that level even with an older bat design etc. But luckily he is a bowler and his batting doesn't tend to last more than an over or 2 even when he does go in

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

May not be right but was told as soon as accepted had to buy jumpers at £250 plus

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I seem to recall when Albion were looking for a site for a new ground it was floated by some that it would be a good idea to also accommodate SCCC. Equally Hampshire built a new state of the art county ground with a hotel, they stepped in to help out during covid but have been snubbed ever since.
Village way south was mooted at one point. Pigott and Knight did have a few conversations I believe. Given how the spen cama legacy was used and the current plans and redevlopment at hove now, this probably ends that talk for a generation or 2

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
When I was playing for Newhaven u-14s, u-16s etc. they managed to dig out some old pads for me to use so my mum didn't have to fork out for a new pair (and to be clear, I was shit even then).
That kids actually involved with County clubs (any of the CCCs, not just Sussex) are forced off because they can't afford it is outrageous.
Elizabeth Ammon from the Times has done some writing on this last year. Prior may be arrogant and his views of sussex may be biased/impacted albeit he is passionate, but on the cost of kids getting into county cricket he is dead right.

Sorry this is behind the paywall

Here is a summary elsewhere

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Village way south was mooted at one point. Pigott and Knight did have a few conversations I believe. Given how the spen cama legacy was used and the current plans and redevlopment at hove now, this probably ends that talk for a generation or 2
that's interesting

the opportunity has perhaps past as since the Rose Bowl was built I'm not sure there's much need for another test ground in England so I'm not sure how financially viable Sussex building a new ground would be. The one advantage possibly is that the County Ground site is surely worth a LOT of money given its location

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Yep, kit is provided. Weve had to get his bats & pads etc for him, but thankfully the guys at Keeley have given us better deals because he is with the county...still not cheap though.

Last season he went away for 4 days with the 2nds to Glamorgan, and thankfully traveled by coach with the team - but had to buy food at the hotel himself. He ended up wandering into Abergavenny most evenings to get Fish & Chips, as the food at the hotel was way too fancy for him - but it was then reimbursed later.

Last winter they did a joint tour to Cape Town with the Kent Academy, but even that cost us almost £1k on top of the subsidized package (thanks Nan!)

With Pathway / Academy games here though, we have been transporting him around the country at our own cost for years. Thankfully, he now has his own car & a small part time job, so thats one thing less for us to worry about at least. Even with a job though he finds it tough to get enough hours as he has to be at Hove for gym work & nets etc all during the week after college.

Just to make things clear - Im not moaning about Sussex CCC at all. It is what it is, and just stating facts. They've been BRILLIANT with him EVERY step of the way, including with his injuries & rehab....all his healthcare is taken care of, so immediate access to MRI's when needed, and physios etc. - but when you get to this level you kinda hope that the club will take care of the other things a bit more, and we wouldn't have to keep stumping up the cash!

Its his final year in the Academy, so it really is a make or break year. His mate Henry Rogers signed a rookie contract recently, and the hope is that he will as well by next summer....If he doesn't, at least it'll be cheaper for us going forward, but ultimately a possible waste of money the last few years! :sneaky:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here