Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC - 2023 Season Edition

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
whats wrong with him plus Wells Hatchett and Nash giving views on what is going on

Can't stop them giving views but they aren't worth much more than those of the average fan who, frustrated by lack of success, carps on from the sidelines about what a bad job is being done by the professional people running the club. The sideline carpers have no idea about the financial realities at the club. They also are extremely naive about the complexity involved in managing a squad of professional cricketers many of whom play 12 months of the year around the world.

These ex-pros made it in their careers by becoming very good at hitting and catching cricket balls. Since retiring as players none of them have developed the managerial skills and experience needed to run a professional club or shown any sign of being competent to do so. If they were any good then several iterations of administration at Hove and elsewhere in the professional cricket world would have given them jobs to succeed in. As it is, they often end up coaching in private schools and hothousing a handful of good players using up incredible amounts of resources to do so.

lovelyboy

Nov 17, 2005
Farbrace is a breath of fresh air. He won’t tolerate idiots and Orr’s agent is one. He’s been badly advised and Farbrace won’t accept it or the way Orr tried to hold the club to ransom.

He’s looking to build a squad that will compete next season, he was told the staff and wage bill needed to be reduced to allow him to bring in the quality of player he’s looking for. The players released to date will allow exactly that to happen and gives him the scope to bring in quality replacements.

I think people’s attitudes will change when the next overseas player is announced (who will also be captain) I’m also aware of 2 or 3 quality additions that are in talks with Farbrace who will improve us greatly.

As for Matt Prior mouthing off on social media, this is the guy that still holds a grudge as he couldn’t afford for his kids to stay on the pathway when he was declared bankrupt and felt he had a God given right not to pay like all the other parents have to.
Surely you can’t be talking about Daniel Hughes as the overseas who you are excited about? Also who are these domestic additions then?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Can't stop them giving views but they aren't worth much more than those of the average fan who, frustrated by lack of success, carps on from the sidelines about what a bad job is being done by the professional people running the club. The sideline carpers have no idea about the financial realities at the club. They also are extremely naive about the complexity involved in managing a squad of professional cricketers many of whom play 12 months of the year around the world.

These ex-pros made it in their careers by becoming very good at hitting and catching cricket balls. Since retiring as players none of them have developed the managerial skills and experience needed to run a professional club or shown any sign of being competent to do so. If they were any good then several iterations of administration at Hove and elsewhere in the professional cricket world would have given them jobs to succeed in. As it is, they often end up coaching in private schools and hothousing a handful of good players using up incredible amounts of resources to do so.
I think this is incredibly harsh.

Cricket players and successful captains are generally very strategic thinkers.

Every player who has left recently has had murmurings from the club they were unreasonable/difficult. That cant all be true. Some of those now speaking have been there themselves and maybe dont believe the attempt to pain the leavers as a problem.

The 100 has biaised the pitch in favour of the test counties. However there doesnt se.to be a strategy to sussex..I'm sure there is one but its lost in awful communications and self inflicted gunshot wounds.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I think this is incredibly harsh.

Cricket players and successful captains are generally very strategic thinkers.

Every player who has left recently has had murmurings from the club they were unreasonable/difficult. That cant all be true. Some of those now speaking have been there themselves and maybe dont believe the attempt to pain the leavers as a problem.

The 100 has biaised the pitch in favour of the test counties. However there doesnt se.to be a strategy to sussex..I'm sure there is one but its lost in awful communications and self inflicted gunshot wounds.
I think the Hundred is the big thing here. Garton leaving Sussex barely mattered, despite some seeing it as a massive issue. The guy was barely fit enough to play T20 for Sussex, couldn't play Championship and then disappeared for August to play in the Hundred when the One Day cup was on. What'a the point of him being contracted to the county?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
What a great interview from Farbrace. Very honest and candid.
Considering we're only a Div Two side we're lucky to have one of the best coaches in the game, and one with a wealth of international experience who is well respected around the world.

Ali Orr has left Sussex for a better deal at Hants.
Dan Lawrence has left Essex for a better deal at Surrey.
Josh Tongue has left Worcestershire for a better deal at Warwickshire.
Jack Haynes has left Worcestershire for a better deal at Warwickshire.
George Garton has left Sussex for a better deal at Warwickshire.

All good young international cricketers that have chosen to leave the counties that developed them.

Three of the above counties have test match grounds and Hundred franchises.
There's a pattern there that isn't too hard to spot.

The future is going to get even more challenging for clubs without test match income and Hundred income.
We're in good hands even if it's hard to see at the moment.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Some interesting views on this thread from those involved [as parents] of junior cricketers. Many of you will know that for many years I have been involved with delivering CAG {County Aged Group] coaching here in Shropshire.

Some of you may [or may not] know that the ECB commissioned the ICEC [Independent Commission for Equity in Cricket] to produce a very lengthy and expensive report into out national game. Here is the link to the report. It's very deep and long but recommendation 40 would have a massive impact on my coaching.

Recommendation 40
We recommend that selection for representative, inter-County cricket should begin at the U14 level and not before. This recommendation will mean that the widely documented challenges associated with talent identification in younger children are removed for the first three years of a typical pathway programme (U10-U13). Placing less emphasis on selection and deselection from U10 age groups onwards mitigates the very significant structural advantages that young children who attend private schools have over their state school counterparts. Coaches, children and parents will be relieved of many of the pressures and liabilities associated with the current system. Importantly, indirect costs such as travel and parental time will be further reduced, enabling more children to play a high standard of cricket locally, lowering the barriers to participation.
Sub-recommendations:
a) County pathway cricketers in the U10-U13 age categories should be selected for enlarged ‘district’ or ‘regional’ squads, and play intra-County ‘district’ or ‘regional’ matches, depending on the size and local needs of each County. The numbers involved in intra-County training squads and matches will inevitably vary, but the overarching aim should be to involve as many young players with potential as possible.
b) Children in the U10-U13 age groups should not take part in residential tours or cricket festivals organised by their County to free up resources and the cost barriers associated with these.
c) Intra-County cricket at the U10-U13 age groups should be played in generic ‘whites’, without the need for County-branded kit.
d) When organising intra-County fixtures, Counties should explore options for ‘bio-banding’ (by physical maturity) and structure match-play in the interests of a balance between teams and the widest range of experiences in terms of batting and bowling for all players.

I have strong views on all of these but will not bore folk on here with them. I would urge you at least read all 44 recommendations made. The ECB have now responded to this report link here.

I will leave you to form your own views on where this might lead junior cricket in the future but if you feel the need to voice your views to the ECB, fill yer boots ....

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've had a letter from Rob about the vacancies on the board.

I'm happy to stand. My policies would be:

1) Nationwide protests against The Humbug, finishing with a naked abseiling off The Oval roof at finals day. I'll speak to Enrest.
2) The return of Keith to sell the lottery tickets (if he's still around)
3) Each tea to start with 200 runs, like in kids 20 over games. To improve Sussex scores.
4) Merchandise that actually has the Sussex badge on and not that pointy thing.
5) Proper cider on tap

Any other suggestions ?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I've had a letter from Rob about the vacancies on the board.

I'm happy to stand. My policies would be:

1) Nationwide protests against The Humbug, finishing with a naked abseiling off The Oval roof at finals day. I'll speak to Enrest.
2) The return of Keith to sell the lottery tickets (if he's still around)
3) Each tea to start with 200 runs, like in kids 20 over games. To improve Sussex scores.
4) Merchandise that actually has the Sussex badge on and not that pointy thing.
5) Proper cider on tap

Any other suggestions ?
How Keith never got hit by the ball I’ll never know. Sadly I believe he now “watches” from above.
Agree with point 4

An addition: appoint a CEO who bothers to walk around the pitch and speak with ordinary members to gauge opinion.

Oh, and a covenant ensuring that deck chairs must stay for at least 50 years.

One more, sign an injury/illness free strike bowler to play in all CC matches

Last edited:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Daniel Hughes will fit right in.

Here are his last 8 first-class innings (for New South Wales): 3, 21, 20, 0*, 0, 6, 13, 58
:facepalm:

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Sussex have announced the re-signing of India Test batter, Cheteshwar Pujara and Australian batter, Daniel Hughes as overseas signings for the 2024 season.

"Sussex Head Coach, Paul Farbrace has opted not to use overseas players in this year’s Metro Bank One Day Cup." That's interesting.

Also no mention of who will be captain.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Daniel Hughes will fit right in.

Here are his last 8 first-class innings (for New South Wales): 3, 21, 20, 0*, 0, 6, 13, 58
:facepalm:
If he's anything like the last (but one) Australian clown, he'll have a summer like that for Sussex, then get picked for the Ashes and suddenly become a f***ing run machine :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here