Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC - 2023 Season Edition

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
It’s looking very likely. We haven’t added much of note, we’ve got youngish lads like Hunt and Crocombe opening our attack. We’re a step above minor counties but we are going to struggle badly again this year.
:cry: Oh dear. I always keep an eye on the games but not the coming and goings of the squad.

We did ok in the one dayer's last year.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Does anyone know if it's poss
I just turned the stream on and the commentary is about a minute ahead.
As an aside, flicking through the other streams, the Sussex one seems significantly worse than the others.
Lancashire have Paul Allot and Michael Atherton on the commentary at the moment.
I think Lancs have Bumble for a lot of games(and Vic Marks is doing some Somerset games this year) but the Lancs-Surrey is much better because that's what Sky Sports are showing

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Thank you for information - disappointing tho' it is.

So are we nailed on for another poor championship season ?
We are looking at small improvements this season. Our younger players should be that much better with greater experience. The weaker younguns will probably fade away.
The batting line-up is in theory better than most in the division. The bowling attack (again , on paper) has got to be one of the weakest. Bar one bowler (Robinson) it’s been that way for years. Archer hasn’t been a factor for Sussex for a long time in red ball, so his absence is no great loss.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I think Lancs have Bumble for a lot of games(and Vic Marks is doing some Somerset games this year) but the Lancs-Surrey is much better because that's what Sky Sports are showing
That makes sense, I was wondering how Lancashire could afford Atherton's train fare from London.
I choose to assume Bumble still lives in Accrington, and always has.
From what I saw most of the test grounds seemed significantly better quality than the Sussex stream, with the arguable exception of Yorkshire who were streaming in very good quality from a position about 100' above long off.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
But do they have a half hour discussion on Elton John and veggie burgers like I enjoyed earlier on the Sussex commentary?
That makes sense, I was wondering how Lancashire could afford Atherton's train fare from London.
I choose to assume Bumble still lives in Accrington, and always has.
From what I saw most of the test grounds seemed significantly better quality than the Sussex stream, with the arguable exception of Yorkshire who were streaming in very good quality from a position about 100' above long off.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Yes, he’s a Sussex player. I believe he’s at the IPL atm. It’s unlikely he will play red ball cricket for Sussex anytime soon.
I'm not sure how the fixtures fall, but I'd expect Archer to play one or two championship matches after he gets back from the IPL, to warm up for the one of the later Ashes tests. Assuming his body stands up to it obviously.
I think last time he did that he ended up playing in a Sussex 2nd XI game, which must have been disconcerting for the other players involved.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I'm not sure how the fixtures fall, but I'd expect Archer to play one or two championship matches after he gets back from the IPL, to warm up for the one of the later Ashes tests. Assuming his body stands up to it obviously.
I think last time he did that he ended up playing in a Sussex 2nd XI game, which must have been disconcerting for the other players involved.
That makes sense and I hope its the case. wouldn’t it be great to see jof in sussex whites again. I did read in one of the papers that he will go straight into Ashes contention without red ball Sussex warm up.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
But do they have a half hour discussion on Elton John and veggie burgers like I enjoyed earlier on the Sussex commentary?
I'm trying to think of an amusing act to suggest Athers is into instead of Elton John, but I can't imagine him doing anything in his spare time other than reading history books and doing the Times crossword.
From the length of the pauses, I'm assuming they weren't doing it for radio as well. To be honest I only caught about 10minutes of all of these matches combined before I had to pop out to by some curtains.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Didn't be take a couple of wickets with left arm spin in that one?

Anyway, close and better than I feared.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
That makes sense and I hope its the case. wouldn’t it be great to see jof in sussex whites again. I did read in one of the papers that he will go straight into Ashes contention without red ball Sussex warm up.
That seems like a really obviously bad idea on just about every level, given how long it's been since he last played a significant red ball game and how few of them he's played in total across his career. I was listening to the Wisden podcast the other day and they didn't think there was much chance of him playing more than one test.
How much urgency there is probably depends to some extent on Woods' fitness.
I'd also suggest if England are struggling it'd be more effective to prepare pitches to suit Anderson, Broad and Robinson rather than throwing Archer in.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
That seems like a really obviously bad idea on just about every level, given how long it's been since he last played a significant red ball game and how few of them he's played in total across his career. I was listening to the Wisden podcast the other day and they didn't think there was much chance of him playing more than one test.
How much urgency there is probably depends to some extent on Woods' fitness.
I'd also suggest if England are struggling it'd be more effective to prepare pitches to suit Anderson, Broad and Robinson rather than throwing Archer in.
I agree. I think the issue is there aren’t any red ball Sussex games between end of ipl and start of ashes.
from dt : ”Jofra Archer could go into the Ashes without any first-class cricket in over two years after Sussex head coach Paul Farbrace confirmed that he is unlikely to play any red-ball cricket before the first Test against Australia.”

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I agree. I think the issue is there aren’t any red ball Sussex games between end of ipl and start of ashes.
from dt : ”Jofra Archer could go into the Ashes without any first-class cricket in over two years after Sussex head coach Paul Farbrace confirmed that he is unlikely to play any red-ball cricket before the first Test against Australia.”
If everybody's fit, I don't see any need to try and force him into the side before he's ready. I'd pick the three I listed above for most tests in England, and would be quite happy with Wood or Woakes in the side as well.
I'd probably line him up for the Old Trafford and/or Oval tests, which gives plenty of time and are also probably the pitches where we'd benefit most from him being in the side

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Where's Steve Smith ?
No idea. Australia? IPL? Sussex's chance to field one of the greatest batsmen of all time is understandably limited to the pre-Ashes period.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Still a Sussex player, is now fit but in between IPL and Test Cricket you won't be seeing him turning out for Sussex. Same for Ollie Robinson... :down:
No consideration given to championship cricket by ECB. Just a joke that Archer is playing in IPL while we are playing and Robinson not allowed to play in preparation for a Test match in 10 weeks is unbelievable. Just think of the quality players we were seeing just a few years ago in 4 day game. Something has to be done because young players now only using Championship game to get a name and once realise wont make test team will be trying to get 20/20 contracts. Why would any pro want to go up and down country in April,May and Sept when they can earn same amount for 3/4 weeks work in a 20/20 competition.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No consideration given to championship cricket by ECB. Just a joke that Archer is playing in IPL while we are playing and Robinson not allowed to play in preparation for a Test match in 10 weeks is unbelievable. Just think of the quality players we were seeing just a few years ago in 4 day game. Something has to be done because young players now only using Championship game to get a name and once realise wont make test team will be trying to get 20/20 contracts. Why would any pro want to go up and down country in April,May and Sept when they can earn same amount for 3/4 weeks work in a 20/20 competition.
We might as well accept that Archer and Robinson are no longer Sussex players, in the same way that Anderson isn't a Lancashire player and Broad doesn't play for Notts - except for an occasional one off warm up to maintain the illusion that "Team England" haven't pinched them.

We really ought to get transfer fees for both.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
We might as well accept that Archer and Robinson are no longer Sussex players, in the same way that Anderson isn't a Lancashire player and Broad doesn't play for Notts - except for an occasional one off warm up to maintain the illusion that "Team England" haven't pinched them.

We really ought to get transfer fees for both.
I appreciate we wont see them but for the future of championship cricket it is not right but ECB dont give a toss. Because all best players at there peak are making there money from 20/20 leagues most overseas pros in county cricket are 32 plus seeing out there days for final pay offs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here