Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supermarkets selling Halal meat......

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
The only two meat products I eat really are beef and chicken. I buy decent beef but don't care less how the chicken was raised or slaughtered because chicken doesn't taste of anything, it's how you flavour it and cook it that makes it taste nice.

Fried chicken :thumbsup:

;)

D

Deleted member 22389

The kind of people that are going to be getting upset are likely UKippers, these are the sort of people that buy boxes of 40 burgers from Iceland so frankly Halal is the least of their worries, it's the chemicals and bollocks in their food.

Halal should be labelled though as some religions like Sikhs cannot eat it.

So what about people who take their religion seriously, how would they feel knowing that their meat has been blessed by a religion they don't follow. Forget the slaughter part, because this is another part that hasn't been mentioned.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Meat is meat. As long as it tastes good I don't care if it is battery farmed, strangled, shot, religiously prepared or rogered to death by a Welshmen

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Slaughter is slaughter whether they get 10,000 volts first or not and it's always ugly. The real problem with our industrial meat society is how the animal is reared and delivered to it's end.

So you didn't actually care abou the answer to your question?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Talking animal welfare for a moment.
If you eat intensively farmed meat, indoor reared pork/beef/chicken (this includes KFC, 90%+ Indian/Chinese Restaurants, most burger establishments, most chain restaurants, most ready made meals from the supermarkets).
If you eat imported meat from Eastern Europe.
If you eat crustacia farmed in the Far East.
Then your concern for animal welfare is already very low, whether the animal is stunned before slaughter or not can't really be of any consequence to you.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
It seems that a large number of you have not read the article. The story is taken from the side of the Faith leaders, who are calling for clearer packaging. I'm all for it. I'd rather make an informed choice on what I buy, rather than pot luck. I always try to buy British to keep the money in the country, and to support our farmers.

If the products were labelled as Halal I would hesitate to purchase due to the possibility that it wasn't stunned before slaughter. I can currently make an informed choice on meat products as to the country they are reared, and sometimes (depending on the supplier) I can be informed on how they were reared. At the moment I have no information around the slaughter, and have to assume that the supplier is abiding by EU law. In the case of Halal meat, they are exempt from EU Law and as such will naturally create an ambiguity around that slaughter assumption.

And for the record I'm not squeamish.

i read the article before i posted and agree that labelling perhaps should cover details of not just the slaughter was ritual but also the method. informed choices are good. my point was that he media storm led by the sun has focussed on halal rather than kosher and on ritual (i.e. religion) rather than method

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
i read the article before i posted and agree that labelling perhaps should cover details of not just the slaughter was ritual but also the method. informed choices are good. my point was that he media storm led by the sun has focussed on halal rather than kosher and on ritual (i.e. religion) rather than method

How many shops are selling Kosher meat without it being labelled as such?

D

Deleted member 22389

It seems that a large number of you have not read the article. The story is taken from the side of the Faith leaders, who are calling for clearer packaging. I'm all for it. I'd rather make an informed choice on what I buy, rather than pot luck. I always try to buy British to keep the money in the country, and to support our farmers.

If the products were labelled as Halal I would hesitate to purchase due to the possibility that it wasn't stunned before slaughter. I can currently make an informed choice on meat products as to the country they are reared, and sometimes (depending on the supplier) I can be informed on how they were reared. At the moment I have no information around the slaughter, and have to assume that the supplier is abiding by EU law. In the case of Halal meat, they are exempt from EU Law and as such will naturally create an ambiguity around that slaughter assumption.

And for the record I'm not squeamish.

This is exactly my thoughts on the issue. If it was labelled Halal I wouldn't buy it either.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
So what about people who take their religion seriously, how would they feel knowing that their meat has been blessed by a religion they don't follow. Forget the slaughter part, because this is another part that hasn't been mentioned.

Didn't I type "some religions like Sikhs cannot eat it".

What did you think I meant by that?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
so in a nutchell.

BBC article explains Jewish and Muslim faith leaders call for better labeling on halal and kosher foods.

NSC bedwetters claim its the fault of UKIP ,The Daily Mail,The Sun and racists.

Genius work chaps:tosser:

No, no-one claimed it was any of their faults did they son? I was talking about their take/spin on the overall issue of Halal meat. See the difference? In fact The Mail has been running this story with various anti - Islamic twists and spins since 2010. I believe they have done something like 20+ stories on it.

Besides, one can't really blame UKIP for anything as they are 100% ineffectual except for maybe giving the few pub bores who support them something else to talk about other than Top Gear and bird flu.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

Didn't I type "some religions like Sikhs cannot eat it".

What did you think I meant by that?

It's where you mentioned Kippers are probably the ones who will get upset. I bet people get upset regardless of what Party they vote for.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Admitted about 4 years ago. And haven't hidden it. Good luck avoiding Halal when going to a chain restaurant.

Is there a reason for this? Is it cheaper? I can't see why you would specifically choose Halal meat if you weren't Muslim.

Edit: Actually I guess it's because Muslims can't eat non-Halal for religious reasons, whereas most other people aren't fussed and probably wouldn't even ask I guess.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Is there a reason for this? Is it cheaper? I can't see why you would specifically choose Halal meat if you weren't Muslim.

Many of the large chain restaurants are run by Asian franchise groups. It would stand to reason that at least some of thse groups have Islamic faith owners, if there was enough demand from these groups then perhaps the McDonalds, KFCs, Pizza Huts etc have to, and probably want to, take notice otherwise they would be likely to lose large numbers of successful franchisees.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't really see how any other religion can get upset, if they don't believe in the Islamic Faith then it's just a dude mumbling shit at dead animals in a warehouse. Why would anyone care?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It was only in the early 1900's that we started stunning animals. Before then we killed animals in the same way as a religious slaughter, but without the prayer. However we have moved on from this and progressed to what is considered a more humane way.

Halal and Kosher is only about the prayer not about how it is killed. I don’t think in the Quran it was ever stated that they cannot electrically stun the animal before it is put to death as at that time there was only one way.

We live in a country where animal welfare is a concern and should be put above religion. If you want to say a prayer for the animal do it when it is on the plate.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't want to speak in ignorance, so can someone correct me if I am wrong.

The requirement of slaughter in this country is that an animal be stunned first. As far as I am aware, that is observed. I can only guess that the blessing aspect is to allow for a wider consumer profile here and abroad. I'm personally not bothered by that.

However, a visit to the Compassion In World Farming site, ciwf.org, will doubtless show the cruelty of some aspects of the meat trade. There is a lot of hypocrisy in attitudes towards the consumption of meat, and the halal issue, where stunning isn't used in some other countries, forms a minor part of it.

I think the article on the BBC website, which encourages no more than discussion, will be used to form the bile of racist attitudes in some of the usual areas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here