Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Shock! Horror!

Animals killed for food!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm a carnivore and not squeamish ( especially having spent a large part of my childhood on a working meat farm ). That said I do believe information like this should be displayed. The supermarkets don't do so purposely as they know it would lose them sales. Is accurate labeling so much to ask ? Given the horse meat issue recently I can understand why people don't trust supermarket meat. I buy all my meat from the butchers - it's better value and better quality. I'm sure I saw Tesco adverts after the horse meat thing saying they would be open, honest and transparent from now on ...... hmmmmm ......

theres that word again
even though I am a Veggie I believe that meat eaters should have trust in what they are eating.
this is one of the reasons I gave up eating meat that and the dreadful way some of the live exports are conducted

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
If it was labelled Halal, then I wouldn't buy it as the humanity around the slaughter is not guaranteed under EU law.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Non-halal uses "sticking" as well. i.e. all your meat is as a result of a cut throat. The difference is that in some Halal cases there is no stunning. The stunning makes the animal unconscious so should not feel the pain.

Oct 25, 2003
As long as it is pre-stunned before slaughter then I'm fine by it (I don't really care if someone at the slaughter is chanting religious rubbish or not, it makes no difference :D)

As I understand it, most Halal is pre-stunned in this country?....

90% is pre stunned, so yes

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
but how is the halal method (swift cut throat) any worse than any other method?

as I understand it a very good method if done correctly
but it is that word again who would you trust to do it properly

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
If it was labelled Halal, then I wouldn't buy it as the humanity around the slaughter is not guaranteed under EU law.

nail on the head

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Well there's a lot of people here who don't know what they're talking about.

Halal meat normally comes from animals that are slaughtered in exactly the same way as non-Halal meat. I.e. the animal is stunned by electric shock then drained of blood. The only difference being that a prayer is said when the animal is cut.

Kosher meat, on the other hand, comes from animals which are not stunned before they are slaughtered.

It is whether than animal is stunned or not that matters and there is a lot of prejudice being displayed here.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't have a real problem with eating halal meat. I do have a problem with exceptions to law based on religion so given the choice I'd rather not eat it but I don't care enough to get upset by it.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

But the slaughter of an animal is only a very small percentage (tame frame wise) of the animals life.

It may have been killed in an EU lawful way (which is positive) but could have lived in awful conditions, force fed etc, all its life preceding that.

Just complaining about the slaughter is a bit shortsighted really...

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
But the slaughter of an animal is only a very small percentage (tame frame wise) of the animals life.

It may have been killed in an EU lawful way (which is positive) but could have lived in awful conditions, force fed etc, all its life preceding that.

good point , well made...:thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
makes me laugh, most wouldn't know the first thing about how meat is slaughtered. suddenly everyone cares because its a religious context.

Oct 25, 2003
I don't think there's any particularly nice method to kill an animal...they're going to suffer in some way. I'm a huge meat eater and I've had to simply accept that what I'm eating has probably had a pretty rough time in the moments leading up to its death. It's just part of life. I doubt Zebra's find being hunted down by a pack of lions particularly enjoyable. Our methods are more advanced but I really don't think there's any 'humane' way of killing an animal

I suspect that if that if halal had no connection to Islam then this wouldn't be news

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Oh don't start on that. You'll have the anti Muslim, anti European Union and and immigration lobby arriving in a few minutes.
Then it'll be castrating paedophiles within 10 posts. (Non halal way as well )

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Not really. People are very squeamish about their food, they don't like eating offal etc.

So they want the animals killed but the offal left alive ?

I would think if you are really worried about animal suffering you would be vegan. (Given that it is quite hard to have a dairy industry without veal etc, etc)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
makes me laugh, most wouldn't know the first thing about how meat is slaughtered. suddenly everyone cares because its a religious context.

The process of slaughter is fairly simple. I have no problem with an animal suffering 7 seconds of pain as it dies in the small proportion of Halal slaughter that is done without pre-stunning, it just doesn't bother me. I have a slight problem with exceptions to the law for religion. Whatever religion.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011

Just because some may complain about slaughter on this thread doesn't mean they happen to not care about the conditions of the animal's life as well. i.e. many here do not "just" complain about the slaughter. That's another thread in itself, this thread is about the slaughtering of animals, not its living conditions prior.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
As long as it is pre-stunned before slaughter then I'm fine by it (I don't really care if someone at the slaughter is chanting religious rubbish or not, it makes no difference :D)

As I understand it, most Halal is pre-stunned in this country?....

I read that 90% of Halal meat slaughtered in this country is pre-stunned. For me this isn't an animal welfare issue. If it was the debate would be around Shechita slaughter, but that would likely not create the same media frenzy.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This is such a non story though. The right wing, UKIP lot getting their knickers in a knot over the dark skinned invaders again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here