Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supermarkets selling Halal meat......

They breed them? I thought pheasants and other animals were horny little buggers and they're acting on instinct rather than a posh royal going "Go on ol' chap, go and get some pheasant fanny".
Once upon a time, people who obstructed the work of a gamekeeper were sentenced to 14 years transportation to Oz. Breeding pheasants to be shot (mostly by City bankers, trying to spend their bonuses) is a major industry in my bit of rural Sussex.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Once upon a time, people who obstructed the work of a gamekeeper were sentenced to 14 years transportation to Oz. Breeding pheasants to be shot (mostly by City bankers, trying to spend their bonuses) is a major industry in my bit of rural Sussex.

They're also a meat, but I'm not entirely sure what your point is.We breed pigs to be slaughtered, we breed horses to be raced, hell; some navies breed dolphins to become suicide bombers.

My point is, a lot of game management is required on estates and farms. Pheasants, deer, rabbits etc can become problematic and ruin the environment. Yellowstone national park in the states re-introduced the wolf back into the environment to create a natural predator and it has worked wonders (http://sploid.gizmodo.com/the-fascinating-story-of-how-wolves-changed-yellowstone-1524500986) Unfortunately, we don't have such predators in the UK, so we have to rely on game management by humans.

Are you suggesting we should end this because it may appear unethical and cruel?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Or the label could just say "from New Zealand". And people could work out that New Zealand makes its own laws and any UK/EU "exemptions" don't mean anything.
Indeed. I would much prefer there to be no exception, and imports only permitted when they comply with uk legislation. And I would prefer that to be the case in many other areas. If we insist on a high level of safety at work, why should we import goods made in an environment that is less well protected for employees. Either legislate, or inform so that we make a conscious choice.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

D

Deleted member 22389

Just label the damn meat Al Halal then we can all make a choice before we buy it. Why is that so hard? Is it because the supermarkets are scared it might put customers off, or is it cheaper and they make more money this way. Seems to me the supermarkets want to have their cake and eat it.

The truth is lots of people don't like it, but because of political correctness people don't want to say anything. Stop pussy footing around, either label it, or ban it.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/halal-meat-most-britons-want-3524498
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...imal-rights-come-before-religion-9135580.html

It's not whether it is Halal or Kosher that should be the label. All you need is a label saying "Slaughtered under the religious exemption - halal". Then those who think every one should obey the same laws, or believe that pre-stunning is a compassionate path to slaughter could make the choice. Maybe like cigarettes the packaging could show an animal painfully writhing around while someone praises God.

At least Muslims & Jews don't put live crustaceans in boiling hot water to kill them, or shoot animals/birds (how many shots does it take to kill a rabbit, venison, birds - Total hypocrisy here.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Predictibly safe satire though isnt it..........

Given that the nature of this current story is about halal meat surely they would have nailed the issue a lot more succinctly had it been about Mohommed and Islam rather than the C of E and Jesus. They could have even provided readers with an image of the prophet tucking into a pork sausage.

Any views on why they didn't?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
because they are supposed to parody, not steal from the Daily Mail?

(and it wouldn't work with their joke either)

I disagree, The Daily Mash is first and foremost a satirical magazine, it may seek to parody the style and form of the Daily Mail in its articles, however it is the news that drives the satire, not the Daily Mail per se.

In this instance the target of the satire is the relationship of religion with animal slaughter, and the primary target of ridicule is the C of E. This is fine, christianity in the UK is cultually dominant and understandably worthy of such satire.

The elephant in the room however is the rising influence of islam in the UK, and there are many items that are running in the news that demostrate a new cultural paradigm; including the wearing of burqas in court by the accused, the islamification of northern schools and the many hundreds of british born muslims currently fighting as jihadis in Syria.

I can accept that these items (and others) may be too serious for satire, however in this case all instances of religous related animal slaughter should be available for derision, and given the actual nature of the issue (i.e. there is no equivalent of Halal or Kosher meat in mainstream christian tradition) then this news item provides the perfect opportunity to poke fun at islam.

The fact that the article did not direct its satire at islamic animal sluaghter traditions actually gets to the very heart of why the ubiquity of halal meat in UK supermarket is vexing the British public at large............imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here