Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland announcement today,,,

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
So who was the alleged playoff dressing room punch up between or was that just a wind up ???

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Most people seem determined to see him succeed or fail at his next club. I don't really care either way, so looking at it objectively I would say it is a good opportunity for Gus to prove he has something special, but also a massive risk as there is obviously the possibility of relegation, which would pretty much hammer all the nails into his Chelsea/Spurs coffin in one go. Sunderland are already 6 points from safety and need about 38 points from 31 games to stay up. That will not be easy with a squad that must be low on confidence. Plus, as we saw ourselves, it can take time for Gus to get his message across, and if it takes him several months they will be bankers for the drop by Christmas. On the other hand, if he keeps them up, even if it's just on goal difference on the last day of the season, he will have earned a significant boost to his CV, bearing in mind the position they are in when he takes over.

Spot on. I think and hope, it's the latter.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
As long as he doesnt finish bottom, then im happy, because thats spot is sealed for Palace, but good luck to him.

We are now BOUND to draw Sunderland in the FA Cup now.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Talksport saying Poyet's appointment is imminent. They have Pulis on now and he's also hinted at this.

Imo, Sunderland confirmed their relegation the day they flogged Stéphane Sességnon.

D

Deleted member 22389

I am glad he is not our manager, but for some reason I hope that he does well at sunderland and keeps them up, and I think that he will.

Hopefully we can officially break the Gus link now. I just hope he doesn't start coming for our players.
Dissapointed with how he ended. That shouldn't have been the way. I really hope it turns around for us with Oscar, he deserves it, we deserve it.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
For all the bile on here, nobody can say that Poyet has a false sense of self confidence. He said that one day he would be managing in the Epl either with or without us. He turned down two jobs that if he had taken he would have got relegated but odds on to go back up and has now likely gained over 75% of a season to prove himself.........and whilst he has gone, we are not able or capable to spend money like we did last year even (where we were mid table in the player fees stakes), to compete at the upper end of the league yet (i am not blaming Oscar here, the injuries have been a nightmare for him)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ignoring irrelevant FA Cup ties, after Southampton, he lost 5 of his first 6 games. He also only won 3 of his first 15 games. Getting Calderon and Painter was undoubtedly a deciding factor, especially because at the time most fans thought it was our central defenders who needed replacing rather than our full-backs, but it still took Gus several months to have any real impact. In fact, his first 15 or so league games were not really any better than Slade's previous 15. I remember going to Stockport on a Tuesday night at the end of January and we were ATROCIOUS still.

From Charlton onwards, we won 8 of our last 15 games. That's the night the Gus success story began.

After Southampton he won at Wycombe, lost at Leeds and Norwich then won at Rushden & Diamonds, so your facts are wrong. He won 5 out of his first 11 games not including the FA tie at Torquay. You can still see all the results for the 09/10 season on the drop down box under fixtures and results on the club site.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Hopefully we can officially break the Gus link now. I just hope he doesn't start coming for our players.
Dissapointed with how he ended. That shouldn't have been the way. I really hope it turns around for us with Oscar, he deserves it, we deserve it.

I think that maybe in order for Garcia to turn it round, then Gus needs to come in and take some players, who's loyalty still wrongly lies with him.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Ooohh, now there's an allegation!

It's not an allegation. It's an observation or even a suggestion. Fact is Poyet was here a long time, he had his favorites, that's no secret all managers have. Some will be pleased he has gone and some will be less pleased. That's not an allegation, it's human nature. John Byrne even suggested as much on the radio after Saturday's game comparing it to his time at QPR when Mullers replaced Venables.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
It was stated on Twitter this morning that the working atmosphere at the amex is not a happy one at the moment. Anybody who has worked in a business where a hr incident has occurred and also where changes are made in terms of cost cutting will tell you that this is not unusual.

Is it likely this is the same on the playing side?

I would hope not (but wouldn't be surprised)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think that maybe in order for Garcia to turn it round, then Gus needs to come in and take some players, who's loyalty still wrongly lies with him.

The only ones he is likely to be remotely interested in would be Bridcutt and Ulloa, surely? Ulloa is on a MASSIVE contract, so the required prce would be suitable huge, and plenty enough to scre them off (for a player unproven at the level they require). Briscutt would be feasible, be the lad has barely played under Oscar, so to question his loyalty seems a bit weird.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's not an allegation. It's an observation or even a suggestion. Fact is Poyet was here a long time, he had his favorites, that's no secret all managers have. Some will be pleased he has gone and some will be less pleased. That's not an allegation, it's human nature. John Byrne even suggested as much on the radio after Saturday's game comparing it to his time at QPR when Mullers replaced Venables.

Which players do you think were loyal to Poyet? And you think these players are now deliberately sabotaging their own careers by playing worse for Oscar?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here