Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunday: do you believe in Jesus? Do you love Jesus? Do you trust Jesus?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's debatable whether humans are 'naturally' compassionate, i think for the most part that's social conditioning. Morals are also social conditioning, notions of right and wrong/good and bad are mostly dependent on one's culture. There are a few human traits that all cultures have had, but they mainly seem to be about passing one's genes along.

it isn't debatable, it has been shown that humans are naturally compassionate and generally follow the same basic morals, as shown that religions all follow the same basic tenets (or claim to). you don't shit on your doorstep, harm your own kin, at least not with out very good reason and expecting repercussions. what differs between cultures is the broadness of "kin". to some its the family and the village, to others its every living person (or even animals), for most its something in between.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
It's debatable whether humans are 'naturally' compassionate, i think for the most part that's social conditioning. Morals are also social conditioning, notions of right and wrong/good and bad are mostly dependent on one's culture. There are a few human traits that all cultures have had, but they mainly seem to be about passing one's genes along.
A frankish knight would be proud of his ability to kill and exalted for it, for example.

So to dig away past that and we'll get to the positive's in spirituality.

I'm a christian, and i don't believe in an imaginary friend, i don't humanize 'God' at all.
We would have to dig past that cliqued attitude to see the baby in the bath water.

so where is this Deity you speak and if all morality etc is learnt what is God's purpose ,why no evidence and why is god so far away that it would take 4 times the human life time to reach him? why don't other animals have a god? why does the soul from your bacon sandwich go? or did god make everything so equal that he only have the nasty vicious race ,humans, a soul??

or does he just not exist and you're too frightened to accept that it's all a little thin on any evidence but the fear of mortality and the mortality of your loved ones is short with no afterlife

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Do I believe in Jesus? Yes, its almost certain he excised.

Do I love Jesus? Only in the same way that I love every living creature.

Do I trust Jesus? Is there a reason why I shouldn't?

Do I believe there should be a middle man/woman between me and my godly conscience? No. But I can see why some people may need them.
Almost certain lol
Complete opposite you mean???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But if, on the other hand, you believe that dying as a holy martyr will take you straight to paradise, you'll positively welcome even the most gruesome of deaths....

Ring any bells?

I get there any way through faith. I can die peacefully in my own bed of pneumonia, rather than being ripped apart by lions.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
it isn't debatable, it has been shown that humans are naturally compassionate and generally follow the same basic morals, as shown that religions all follow the same basic tenets (or claim to). you don't shit on your doorstep, harm your own kin, at least not with out very good reason and expecting repercussions. what differs between cultures is the broadness of "kin". to some its the family and the village, to others its every living person (or even animals), for most its something in between.

As i said, we could debate whether those particular attributes are about passing genetic code along. The commonality from the breadth of what you've suggested would agree with this.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Christians believe God created earth. Jesus the son of God arrived on this planet circa 2015 years ago. Given the undeniable age of this planet what they are saying is God spent the first 4.5 billion years sat on his arse?

Religion is the number one root of so many wars. The emergence of ISIS being the most recent (and most brutal). So many deaths attributed to religion, for something that is meant to represent peace and kindness I find this staggering. These so called heavenly beings can part the Red Sea and feed the 5000 but seemingly no one can now end this suffering.

It's a load of old cods wallop which I'm convinced was contrived by an inebriated chancer and latched onto by the masses.
Yes they do,but God didn't create animals according to them either mmmm.
Load of old clap trap if you ask me :)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Do I believe in Jesus? Nope. The bible is a fictional narrative, just like Humpty Dumpty.
Do I love Jesus? Nope, see above.
Do I trust Jesus? Nope, see above.
Absolutely
I believed in father xmas and the tooth fairy for years as it was implanted into you as a kid...religion is the same thing that most can't get out of.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
we can see 13.2 billion years away into space.....no sign of God, isn't that allot of distance between us and the one who is meant to be our holy father and moral guidance consellor

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
These are the views of the Sam Harris who obviously does not believe in God or may be does not understand. God did not write the Bible, so called learned men did. Sam Harris in this video has not proved that God does not exist and cannot. He is only giving his view.

True Sam Harris does not believe in God

True God did not right the bible, depends on your definition of learned.

True Harris cannot prove God does not exist no one can but there is not a shred of credible evidence that he/she/it does exist. The burden of proof is on your side.

Harris view does point out the many absurdities and hypocrisy involved in Christian doctrine and beliefs. I have yet to hear any of his points refuted in any credible way.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Completely disagree; Common values are a natural occurrence throughout the animal Kingdom.

Animals display wide-ranging emotions, including joy, happiness, empathy, compassion, grief, anger and even resentment and embarrassment. All these shared emotions are inherited from our animal beginnings so they are not strictly unique to us. We have so much in common with our primate cousins including our basic ruthless tribal instinct.

I would like to know what emotions and moral codes we have that chimps and other primates don't? And so what has Moses added to it?

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Was there a guy called Jesus around that time? Yeah probably, he may have done good things for people too. Was he the son of god? Errr no.

This is a pretty good summation of my views on the subject, but what fascinates me is how he went from humble carpenter to Son of God in a relatively short space of time. If only we'd had YouTube 2000 years ago.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
we can see 13.2 billion years away into space.....no sign of God, isn't that allot of distance between us and the one who is meant to be our holy father and moral guidance consellor
Yeah but what would God be?
He obviously created the universe and our wonderful planet...He can't be human obviously and like you say has to go from galaxy to galaxy to perform his miracles.
Apparently Jesus was a white man with a beard who banged some old tart and got her pregnant and the human race kicked into gear,but who put this bearded chap and old tart who must of been babies once on planet earth?

animals have evolved from sea to land and so on...The clear indicator is the animal kingdom surely?

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
True Sam Harris does not believe in God

True God did not right the bible, depends on your definition of learned.

True Harris cannot prove God does not exist no one can but there is not a shred of credible evidence that he/she/it does exist. The burden of proof is on your side.

Harris view does point out the many absurdities and hypocrisy involved in Christian doctrine and beliefs. I have yet to hear any of his points refuted in any credible way.

Yeah but what would God be?
He obviously created the universe and our wonderful planet...He can't be human obviously and like you say has to go from galaxy to galaxy to perform his miracles.
Apparently Jesus was a white man with a beard who banged some old tart and got her pregnant and the human race kicked into gear,but who put this bearded chap and old tart who must of been babies once on planet earth?

animals have evolved from sea to land and so on...The clear indicator is the animal kingdom surely?

"he OBVIOUSLY create the iniverse" that's not obvious to be it's OBVIOUSLY he doesn't exist

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
so where is this Deity you speak and if all morality etc is learnt what is God's purpose ,why no evidence and why is god so far away that it would take 4 times the human life time to reach him? why don't other animals have a god? why does the soul from your bacon sandwich go? or did god make everything so equal that he only have the nasty vicious race ,humans, a soul??

or does he just not exist and you're too frightened to accept that it's all a little thin on any evidence but the fear of mortality and the mortality of your loved ones is short with no afterlife

I think you're missing the point.
There are practical positives in spirituality. Why miss these?

I will humour some of your questions though.

'Where is this deity?'
The word 'where' is a physical thing, in my opinion God is metaphysical.

Why no evidence?
Again metaphysical, i appreciate the 'deterministic' argument.
But i am an agnostic theist, all things being equal, why wouldn't one gain the practical positives from spirituality?

Why don't animals have a god?
I would miss the word 'a' out of that sentence. I think they do 'have God'.

why does the soul from your bacon sandwich go?
Presume you meant 'where' here... again metaphysical. Maths considers that there are more dimensions than the purely physical.

or did god make everything so equal that he only have the nasty vicious race ,humans, a soul??
I wouldn't humanise god, it seems a bit childish/uneducated to me...
In this creation aren't all things competitive?

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I think you're missing the point.
There are practical positives in spirituality. Why miss these?

I will humour some of your questions though.

'Where is this deity?'
The word 'where' is a physical thing, in my opinion God is metaphysical.

Why no evidence?
Again metaphysical, i appreciate the 'deterministic' argument.
But i am an agnostic theist, all things being equal, why wouldn't one gain the practical positives from spirituality?

Why don't animals have a god?
I would miss the word 'a' out of that sentence. I think they do 'have God'.

why does the soul from your bacon sandwich go?
Presume you meant 'where' here... again metaphysical. Maths considers that there are more dimensions than the purely physical.

or did god make everything so equal that he only have the nasty vicious race ,humans, a soul??
I wouldn't humanise god, it seems a bit childish/uneducated to me...
In this creation aren't all things competitive?

and the point is???? because I can't see any good religion has done anywhere (in my personal lifetime and experiences)

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
and the point is???? because I can't see any good religion has done anywhere (in my personal lifetime and experiences)

And there we could remove the social aspect of religion from the positive practicality of spirituality.

But on a side note we generally only see things that support our current views.
My church is doing a lot of work with the homeless and refugees, of course it is a matter of debate and your upbringing whether you would consider this to be 'good'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here