Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunday: do you believe in Jesus? Do you love Jesus? Do you trust Jesus?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He shouldn't be because he did not do anything that actually warranted excommunication. Besides he wasn't actually a Catholic then anyway.

Not much, he only lied to 60 million people and sexed up his argument to go to war without any backing from the UN, that led to hundreds of thousands of people dying and the formation of ISIL.

He was a practicing Catholic back then :shrug:

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Not much, he only lied to 60 million people and sexed up his argument to go to war without any backing from the UN, that led to hundreds of thousands of people dying and the formation of ISIL.

He was a practicing Catholic back then :shrug:

He did not become a Catholic until he left office.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Because there are many positives to spirituality.
If you want to be 'better' at whoever/whatever you are, prayer/meditation is proven to help.

yep. so again, why would educated people need to adopt the strictures of organised religion. makes more sense to seek spirituality elsewhere if you aren't already indoctrinated, to apply ones own intelligence and understanding of the world to view the world, rather than be told how to.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm no longer religious, so I'm not here to propagate any faith or argue about it. I am interested though if there are people here who do follow religion and what you do.

We had some JWs knock on the door a couple of days ago. I don't mind talking them as they are usually respectful and friendly. After a few minutes I said I was gay and expected them to spew the old crap about sin and abominations etc... but they didn't. They said that everyone is 'welcome' and focusing on the 'sin' isn't always the right way to go about things which rather surprised me as my experience of JWs has been somewhat negative towards people like me.

So perhaps attitudes are beginning to change, not just on this issues but on others too.

Oh you'd be welcomed into the flock. So they can "show you the error of your ways".

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
yep. so again, why would educated people need to adopt the strictures of organised religion. makes more sense to seek spirituality elsewhere if you aren't already indoctrinated, to apply ones own intelligence and understanding of the world to view the world, rather than be told how to.

Yes you're right, but there are also the obvious benefits of community also.

It seems that you believe that all religions/sects indoctrinate people, you also seem to have the misconception that there aren't religious sects that don't encourage people to apply one's own intelligence and understanding. This is not the case.
To extrapolate this view would appear to encourage the cliched thinking of the 'science vs religion' debates that are misleading.

I'm sorry that your experience has seemingly differed from mine.

I also don't think that it's suitable for everyone, introverted personality types tend to gain the most out of spirituality and religion.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
There are already billions of moderate religious people in these damn faiths but they and their leaders do not do nearly enough to marginalise and dismantle the minority extremist element within their respective religions. It seems to be government departments, the military and taxpayers cash that has to deal with clearing all the chaos up. It is time for the religious leaders and institutions to take responsibility for those inside their religions.

I agree with your highly simplistic argument.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Playing an instrument, listening to music, art dance and poetry is spiritual etc etc etc. Even atheists get the spiritual and inspiration bit. We could join a witch’s coven and get something positive out of it.

People use clairvoyants for their fortunes to be told and spiritual mediums to speak to the dead to help them in times of need, but just because I don’t believe in them I still cannot prove that it is not real because other people will swear that they have personally witnessed something supernatural from it.

Completely agree with the first paragraph, and for that matter completely agree with the second one too.

However one gets their spiritual fix is fine by me as long as it doesn't hurt others.

The problem is when humans and their organisations get involved in my opinion. Although i've been trying to show the positives of mainly spirituality and to a lesser extent religion in this thread, and although i do regularly go to a church, i'm not a fan of most religious organisations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here