Sunday: do you believe in Jesus? Do you love Jesus? Do you trust Jesus?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The Romans who crucified Jesus ended up being the centre of the Christian faith. Maybe that was how it was intended.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
As I said, a Person's faith is personal to that person. I chose to believe not because of what I was taught at school or from the household in which was raised, but from the experiences I have had in life and the inner warmth I feel. I am certainly no Bible bashing believe in Jesus or you will burn in hell and I'm no goodie goodie. Believe in what you want as long as it is legal and does not harm anyone else. For hose who don't believe or are unsure, I hope you eventually come to know Jesus.
PMSL:lolol:
How are im going to get to meet the elusive Jesus then?:lolol:
You've been brainwashed pal like all religious people:p
Evolution is 1/10,000,000 on to be the creator of life on Earth as the ingredients needed for life are right in front of us and happen every single day.
In my opinion the guidance to humans forming over time is likely to come from the animal kingdom,but strangely the animal kingdom is rarely mentioned in religion...why is that?
A chimp has 98% of our DNA and that tells you something if you really think about it for a while...but naturally in many religions God/Jesus didn't create animals etc etc....Unreal.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I'd like to believe.

jesus.jpg

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Evolution is 1/10,000,000 on to be the creator of life on Earth as the ingredients needed for life are right in front of us and happen every single day.
In my opinion the guidance to humans forming over time is likely to come from the animal kingdom,but strangely the animal kingdom is rarely mentioned in religion...why is that?
A chimp has 98% of our DNA and that tells you something if you really think about it for a while...but naturally in many religions God/Jesus didn't create animals etc etc....Unreal.
Fish have 91% of our DNA, so I would suggest the 1% is very important. As for animals, we have to eat something, and pets are something we like. Maybe a heaven if you believe in that would include animals.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Fish have 91% of our DNA, so I would suggest the 1% is very important. As for animals, we have to eat something, and pets are something we like. Maybe a heaven if you believe in that would include animals.
Heaven must be a big big place...billions of people and animals and those dinosaurs take up a lot of room.
Heaven doesn't exist....Its a term used to make people feel better about certain things that's all.
Caring people get comfort from it and religion is the same thing really....all religions want to be bigger and better than the rest,so basically they're just very large groups of hoodie gangs :)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I would have thought it was perfectly clear from Honky-Tonx post that he has most certainly not been brainwashed.
And I presume from your post that you consider that, if one professes a Christian faith, one can not believe in Evolution. The vast majority of Christian People I know are evolutionists. They are intelligent enough either to have worked out for themselves that the "God made the world in seven days" studd is a story and was always intended to be a story, yes, a fairy tale if you like.
But it seems there are people who are ignorant (I mean that not in a pejorative sense, but purely as "not knowing") enough to believe that millions of other people believe unquestioningly what is clearly fable. Yes, there are some, perhaps even plenty of people who do believe it.

But it is certainly not all of us.

How about some live and let live rather than slagging people off all the time.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Heaven must be a big big place...billions of people and animals and those dinosaurs take up a lot of room.
Heaven doesn't exist....Its a term used to make people feel better about certain things that's all.
Caring people get comfort from it and religion is the same thing really....all religions want to be bigger and better than the rest,so basically they're just very large groups of hoodie gangs :)
If you had taken note of the size of the universe, there is plenty of space for anything to have existed on this planet to be in another place.

If you don't believe in religion that's fine, but why ridicule those that do, who knows you maybe wrong.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The idea of arguing the toss about the existence of Jesus or (more to the point) his divinity and the existence of God, is barmy. If you believe, that's good enough. Personally I think belief is what we do to make ourselves feel better, and the harder it is to prove something, the more we believe, the better we feel. Also, personally, I think this is all bollocks, and if I ever decide I believe that Jesus will protect me if I fall in front of a moving train, feel free to give me a ****ing great big shove. :ffsparr:

Would that be to test out and prove the theory, or to put you out of your misery?

Anybody who believes that "Jesus would protect them" in those circumstances is deluded. It reminds me of a joke:

A man is sitting in his house as the flood waters rise all around. A Police Landrover arrives and the occupants get out and suggest that he evacuates the property because the floods will get far worse. The man refuses the offer. "Jesus will look after me".
A little while later, with the floods far worse, he is at an upstairs window, when the military come past in a rowing boat to rescue him and other local residents. he again refuses. "No, my Lord will look after me!"
Sometime later he is sitting on the roof of his house as the waters lap up around the eaves. A Rescue Helicopter comes past, the Crew hail him and tell him to prepare to be picked up. He again refuses. "Jesus will protect me".

A little while later, as he is clinging to the Chimney, he is getting desperate, and he cries out: "God, Jesus, I am a true believer! You can't let me perish in this way!"
A voice booms out from the heavens: "Well, we sent a Police Landrover, a boat full of soldiers and a Rescue Helicopter. What more do you want!"

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton

I don't believe in heaven or hell either but some people want to think there is an ultimate destination for themselves and familymembers when they , which is fair enough. What I find offensive about Christians is the judgmentalism and condemnation of people saying they are going to hell. It's that sort of nastiness which makes people stick two fingers up at Christianity.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Would that be to test out and prove the theory, or to put you out of your misery?

Anybody who believes that "Jesus would protect them" in those circumstances is deluded. It reminds me of a joke:

A man is sitting in his house as the flood waters rise all around. A Police Landrover arrives and the occupants get out and suggest that he evacuates the property because the floods will get far worse. The man refuses the offer. "Jesus will look after me".
A little while later, with the floods far worse, he is at an upstairs window, when the military come past in a rowing boat to rescue him and other local residents. he again refuses. "No, my Lord will look after me!"
Sometime later he is sitting on the roof of his house as the waters lap up around the eaves. A Rescue Helicopter comes past, the Crew hail him and tell him to prepare to be picked up. He again refuses. "Jesus will protect me".

A little while later, as he is clinging to the Chimney, he is getting desperate, and he cries out: "God, Jesus, I am a true believer! You can't let me perish in this way!"
A voice booms out from the heavens: "Well, we sent a Police Landrover, a boat full of soldiers and a Rescue Helicopter. What more do you want!"

Very amusing. Separately (or connectedly) I think my point was that Jesus would not protect me under any circumstances, because he's a dead person, and he does not have super powers.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I don't believe in heaven or hell either but some people want to think there is an ultimate destination for themselves and familymembers when they , which is fair enough. What I find offensive about Christians is the judgmentalism and condemnation of people saying they are going to hell. It's that sort of nastiness which makes people stick two fingers up at Christianity.

But that is precisely NOT what it is about, or at least should be about - as per "Judge not lest ye be judged"

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yes many do like to think they have a final destination of peace etc etc...Shame most don't focus on living rather than dying and where you go after etc.Naturally we say things to comfort others,but it doesn't necessarily mean we believe it.
Most religious people from childhood had no choice but to read from a book that chops and changes like there's no tomorrow to suite their needs.The ones that choose to go religious at some other point are confused unstable people who seek some sort of mental guidance due to going off the rails in life.

I really dislike religion although I know it doesn't make them a bad person for it....just wish many would wake up and have a reality check.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Very amusing. Separately (or connectedly) I think my point was that Jesus would not protect me under any circumstances, because he's a dead person, and he does not have super powers.

I appreciate and understand your point. There is a serious point to the joke as well.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Of course but it's been repeatedly used by individuals, church leaders and institutions throughout history against people they disliked, heretics and enemies of the church...

Quite right. I was not disagreeing with you - but it's wrong when they do it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm pretty sceptical about the whole religion thing, but it hasn't stopped me asking for a few favours down the years (like when my daughter was ill). If it gives people comfort then I think it's probably alright, it's not really any part of my life though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

glad you recognise that as a joke, i have seen it portrayed as a parable to demomstrate free will.

think the problem with Christianity is there is far too much judgment from many practictioners. generally the "Judge not lest ye be judged" is a message few take from the Jesus (and John the Baptist?) stories, which gets lost in the sea of guff from the old testement and later new testement with the "God will smite the non-believer" message.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports