Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sun reckons Queen wants UK to leave the EU...

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Thanks for the insult.

Does it not strike you at all that the influence of the European Union does all sorts of things in terms of Human rights, better conditions at work, protection for people in all sorts of ways. My eyes are open. You should wake up and smell the coffee.

But we will never agree, so what's the point.

Don't take it personally. Brighton Fella likes to demean and shout rude names at everyone he suspects of being on the other side of this argument. Anyway, 'Prune' is quite benign - I've been called much worse. The last person to get it from him was an 'ignorant git' as I recall. (Respect, by the way, for your own gentle tone.)

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
True, although very little prevents us cluttering off to another country with a more 'acceptable' historical back story. Bizarrely people who often denigrate this country (past and present) be they far left loons (see Corbyn), self loathers, communists, those pining for Sharia law, you know the usual suspects ... never manage to find the courage of their convictions and go and live in a place better suited to their world view.

Your certainty that you would definitely speak out even if living in a country without freedom suggests you have very little understanding of what life is like in other oppressive totalitarian states. Of course I could be wrong you may have a high tolerance for torture or could bare watching your family and known associates dragged away for similar (or worse) treatment.

I've lived in a country with limits to freedom of speech, not totalitarian granted but limits none the less, especially when it comes to the internet and disrespect to the monarchy :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The notion that a monarch is politically neutral is simply laughable, but never mind. It might be a good strategy by the leave lot: getting the Queen on your side will sway a fair few.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Thanks for the insult.

Does it not strike you at all that the influence of the European Union does all sorts of things in terms of Human rights, better conditions at work, protection for people in all sorts of ways. My eyes are open. You should wake up and smell the coffee.

But we will never agree, so what's the point.

and not to forget the other wonderful things that the wonderful caring EU has done such a invite an entire population of migrants/refugees over to europe whilst turning a blind eye to all of the chaos and destruction the mass exodus had left upon it's wake. . ,3 times it has screwed over the greek economy yet is perfectly content watching as it's very people starve. it inflicts much the same suffering and misery (low employment etc etc) in other southern european nations and then wonders why there is such a sharp rise in right wing extremist groups popping up all over europe..

so britain is incapable of implementing human rights and better working condition laws for itself:::facepalm:..

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
and not to forget the other wonderful things that the wonderful caring EU has done such a invite an entire population of migrants/refugees over to europe whilst turning a blind eye to all of the chaos and destruction the mass exodus had left upon it's wake. . ,3 times it has screwed over the greek economy yet is perfectly content watching as it's very people starve. it inflicts much the same suffering and misery (low employment etc etc) in other southern european nations and then wonders why there is such a sharp rise in right wing extremist groups popping up all over europe..

so britain is incapable of implementing human rights and better working condition laws for itself:::facepalm:..

Well said. The biggest threat to European economic stability is the Eurozone crisis an EU self inflicted problem that has caused mass unemployment and hardship for millions of European citizens. Probably the biggest threat to European security and societal plus inter government tensions is the migrant crisis which has shown up the many weaknesses of the EU. Stick to these substantive truths lower the invective you will persuade far more people!

:thumbsup:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I've lived in a country with limits to freedom of speech, not totalitarian granted but limits none the less, especially when it comes to the internet and disrespect to the monarchy :thumbsup:
I can understand your views of Britain's past, but the past is the past and can not be changed.

In the last century we have been the good guys in 2 world wars.

Today I don't hold any grudges towards Italy for the romans occupation of the country for 400 years.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Firstly her opinion in 2011 is materially irrelevant to any debate being had now, in the context of an impending referendum.

Having said that, if she is publicly spouting privately held views, and The Sun gets wind then they've every right to report IMO. She is the Queen after all. The only problem here is that what they're reporting is a) irrelevant to any actual discussion about the merits of Brexit, b) blatantly designed to add weight to their position and c) a load of guff.

Answer is b). A Brexit would give the EU a bloody nose courtesy of News UK. The right wing mainstream print media are hellbent on trying to tell people how to vote. Thank god we have Ofcom to keep the rest of the media in balance

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Under our current government, yes.

And I wasn't too worried about being called a prune, incidentally!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Answer is b). A Brexit would give the EU a bloody nose courtesy of News UK. The right wing mainstream print media are hellbent on trying to tell people how to vote. Thank god we have Ofcom to keep the rest of the media in balance

Agree. The most rabid 'project fear' merchants are the press barons campaigning for Brexit and they've been at it for years.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Agree. The most rabid 'project fear' merchants are the press barons campaigning for Brexit and they've been at it for years.

Indeed. Quote from Anthony Hilton of the Evening Standard:

I once asked Rupert Murdoch why he was so opposed to the European Union. 'That’s easy,' he replied. 'When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice.'

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You mean like its coverage of the Hillsborough disaster and its stories, from multiple sources, of corpses being robbed and pissed on?

Murdoch and The Sun could publish anything in the 80s without denting their powerful position. Now, since The News Of The World ceased publication and the printed press has waned, to come off worse in a public spat with Buckingham Palace could be expensive and damaging. I can't see they'd be taking editorial risks like that.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Under our current government, yes.

And I wasn't too worried about being called a prune, incidentally!

and Britain would have the choice to remove our current government if it fails to deliver...

please do not tell me that you think that a few silly human right laws and a few poxy worker rights laws outweigh that of what i had described earlier,... at least prove to me that you are not just a stupid prune..

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I wonder what the world would be like if no one had any respect for other people and their points of view...

I suppose it would be a bit like this board is on occasions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here