Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Sun £9.50 holidays

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Basically what we need is somewhere to sleep, shower and have a cuppa in the morning as we shall be out most of the time if there are sites to be seen.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I recall that the Herald of Free Enterprise was full of Brits on a cheapo voucher offer when it fell over in Zeebrugge all those years ago.

In which case, I'm out.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not sure if they still do it but Brittany Ferries used to do some great winter offers in Gites. We used to travel Portsmouth to St Malo and book somewhere in the Loire valley. Visit some Châteaus during the day and wine,cheese and a log fire at the Gite in the evening.

Yeah very pleasant. A hell of a lot more than £9.50 pp though!

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Not sure it was Haven, but it was def something like that.........things we did to try to entertain the kids when they were young [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Pontins by chance? A google of Pontins will reveal a catalogue of horror stories from victims. Dirty clapped out chalets with mold & mildew everywhere, horrible old beds with bloodstained sheets, tissues under the bed, broken windows & so on. A great many of the unwary were of course 9.50 Sun readers. ??? Karma.

Part of life's learning curve is working a season in a holiday camp. Everything from pissed off guests who can't wait to leave, the endless complaints, bad food, bad facilities, bad accommodation, dodgy entertainers who hate each other, staff who hate each other as well as the guests, floaters in the pool, flouncing staff who walk out. It was all good fun. Also, first rule of working in the kitchen of a holiday camp - head chef must be an alcoholic. It's in the job spec.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Newspaper that banged on about being British and 'getting our country back' offers cheap holiday to the EU instead of, say, their beloved Green and Pleasant Land.

You couldn't make it up :dunce:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sounds like Haven

Did it have free van/pick up parking?

Not sure it was Haven, but it was def something like that.........things we did to try to entertain the kids when they were young [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

We did two Haven holidays when the kids were young. To be fair the first one was pretty good at Church Farm over near Chi. OK pool, good activities for the kids and a wildlife pond. Caravans were ok and the food wasn't terrible. All in all good value. So we had a good impression of them and booked the one in Hastings for the following year.

**** me.

Built on a rubbish dump that smelled and attracted every seagull east of Eastbourne it was also ridiculously hilly which ruled out any form of using the pedal cars or doing any exercise at all that wasn't walking up them. Filthy caravan, a family of travellers next door and a mob in the bar that old school Leeds fans would have run from.

Never, ever, ever again.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Newspaper that banged on about being British and 'getting our country back' offers cheap holiday to the EU instead of, say, their beloved Green and Pleasant Land.

They offer 300 different sites of which about 40 are in Europe the rest in the UK. The problem with the UK is always the weather whilst you don't need it scorching hot you do not want too much rain either.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Wonder how many will get caught out by their passports having less than 6 months to run. Probably will already have blue ones anyway, I suppose.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I went on a Sun holiday and got my wife pregnant with our first child 25 years ago! Not been on one since! :D

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There are some things you don't want to pay less than a certain amount for.

If someone tries to sell you a steak for £2.50, you tell them to piss off.

I can't see any way this holiday won't be horrendous.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I went on a Sun holiday and got my wife pregnant with our first child 25 years ago! Not been on one since! :D

Probably best not to give BG any ideas here.

He's got more than enough already.

bg.jpg

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

But you have made it up. The majority of holidays on offer are in “their beloved Green and Pleasant Land”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here