Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Suggestions to save energy this winter…

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
To answer my own question in #379, Which? website says

'Because gas is cheaper than electricity, it works out slightly cheaper to boil water on a gas hob than using an electric kettle, as long as you are boiling just the quantity you need and switch off the hob as soon as it has boiled.'

Savings are measured in pence (2p / cup v 1p/cup) assuming only water for one cup is boiled.

Lots more useful kitchen tips here https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/cut...ity/saving-energy-in-the-kitchen-a9vpj2W40RVJ

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

'Because gas is cheaper than electricity, it works out slightly cheaper to boil water on a gas hob than using an electric kettle, as long as you are boiling just the quantity you need and switch off the hob as soon as it has boiled.'

Savings are measured in pence (2p / cup v 1p/cup) assuming only water for one cup is boiled.

Lots more useful kitchen tips here https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/cut...ity/saving-energy-in-the-kitchen-a9vpj2W40RVJ
I shall tell Mrs Bodian. I loved my gas kettle, and the ritual of waiting for it to boil to make some tea, and so on. But she wanted an electric kettle - for reasons which I have never yet fathomed. I will send her that link, and proudly place my kettle back on the hob.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Whereas for those who have electric hobs, it's cheaper to use an electric kettle. So for eg if you need boiling water to cook pasta, the most efficient way to get the water ready is to boil in the kettle then transfer to the pot on the hob for the actual cooking.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
worth noting, unless going for sweepings grade budget, the tea bag is costing same or more than the electricity for boiling water.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
worth noting, unless going for sweepings grade budget, the tea bag is costing same or more than the electricity for boiling water.
Mrs Crodo and I have switched to reusing teabags or sharing one bag between 2 mugs, which is quite a significant saving given we can each get through 10+ mugs of tea each day.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Tempted to give this a go...

1666253046132.jpeg

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Whereas for those who have electric hobs, it's cheaper to use an electric kettle. So for eg if you need boiling water to cook pasta, the most efficient way to get the water ready is to boil in the kettle then transfer to the pot on the hob for the actual cooking.
Been doing it for years…..it’s quicker!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've put draft exclusion foam round the windows. Does anyone notice a big difference when they do this ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Games consoles left ON, lights left ON, long showers, heated towel rails wacked up. I’m trying to educate them but it ain’t easy
Around uni age - not at uni, but around that age - I lived with a few mates.

Got on with them mostly, but one was an utter nightmare with this sort of thing. Would leave strings of 4 ways all plugged in together, leaving ridiculous things like lava lamps running all day while he was out. Our electricity bill came through and was HUMUNGOUS. I had very little money at the time so got angry a couple of times and went in his room to switch absolutely everything off while he was out.

He came back and was furious at me for ruining some of his saved games, items downloading etc. He claimed it was all even because when my girlfriend (now wife) would come over, she would occasionally have a shower. Like once every 2 weeks. Compared to him leaving 16 outlets all roaring 24/7.

Suffice to say, we are much better friends now, not living together.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Much like how businesses came out of Covid WAY more efficient and are now reaping the benefits of much lower overheads couple with returning turnover levels, we are all going to be LOADED when energy prices drop again but we have learnt to be way more efficient.

In the glory days of lower prices I didn't switch anything off, would continually boil the kettle, oven cooked everything, left things on standby overnight. I'm going to be LOADED when I apply all these new principles to lower-priced energy.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Much like how businesses came out of Covid WAY more efficient and are now reaping the benefits of much lower overheads couple with returning turnover levels, we are all going to be LOADED when energy prices drop again but we have learnt to be way more efficient.

In the glory days of lower prices I didn't switch anything off, would continually boil the kettle, oven cooked everything, left things on standby overnight. I'm going to be LOADED when I apply all these new principles to lower-priced energy.
Same here, as I just posted on the central heating thread, we're on course to use about a fifth of the gas this October compared to last October. The mild weather helps, but our mindset has changed.

It's not such a vast difference with electricity, but we'll have lowered our usage by about a third from last year (350 kWh in October 21) to this year (going to be something like 235 kWh).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I am considering getting thermostatic radiator valves fitted on my central heating system.

I am assuming that in order to do that the central heating system will need to be drained down before and refilled after. Does anyone have any idea roughly how much draining down, fitting thermostatic valves and filling back up would be ? (13 rads, 2 heated towel rails). @Wrong-Direction @bn9 bha or any other finely skilled and honest Albion supporting professionals ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here