Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Suggestions to save energy this winter…

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I'm pretty rubbish at DIY but managed to fit a draught excluder to the bottom of the front door yesterday. About a tenner for 3 from B+Q.

Also, when I had my boiler serviced last week the engineer turned the return flow temperature down as the default setting is normally too high and stops it condensing and is therefore less efficient.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well looks like the government will be giving energy saving advice after all. Yes, you guessed it, another youwee,,,

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well looks like the government will be giving energy saving advice after all. Yes, you guessed it, another youwee,,,

Only a rich or stupid person wouldn’t be trying to save on energy given the massive price increases surely?

if you need telling it’s a worry

Tips rather than urging is sensible though

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Guys above I was in the same situation as you. Then I saw one and realised "oh" is that is.

Let me post some links later, just popping out.

You want simplicity so everyone can use, not loads of gadgets and things you don't need. To reiterate, mine is just an oven.

61c5gfrDsBL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I'll post a more info later.

As for "cooking times" they tend to cook a quicker. On "dense" things like lasagne, I probably turn it down a bit and let it cook longer.

But really for cooking times, the best thing you can have in the kitchen is a digital food thermometer. I take things out the oven when the are done, not for how long they have been in there.
My issue with this type of thing is that I also need to cook roast potatoes, and yorshire puddings, and an apple crumble, all of which fit into my oven at the same time, this looks particulalry useless for cooking more than one thing, and how do you therefore keep one thing hot wjhislt cooking something else

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The cost of cremation in this economic climate isn't worth thinking about! Not worth it.
Don’t tell a certain NSC user, but “direct cremation” cuts out the middle man and saves on cost. I’d not heard of it until a “Pure Cremation” van pulled up next door recently, but wife and I agreed that’s what we would do.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
You’d be better off buying some descaler tablets for the kettle if you live in a hard water area.
With my dishwasher being prone to terminal limescale I found even generic descalers to be a significant expense (I'm poor). Noticing the active ingredient to be citric acid I bought a 2kg tub of it instead. Bloody marvelous, and many other uses too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here