Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Suggestions to save energy this winter…

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Turn it down 3 degrees
Never turn down the 3 degrees
3AEACA05-C8E5-4AE3-8251-6B3F1E65E37F.jpeg

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Well I am saving some money by the government support being sent but why the hell is my energy provider sending it to my bank account rather than just knocking it off my energy bill!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bad news on the horizon...

Chancellor expected to scale back energy bills help​

A source has said it is expected that the government's energy price guarantee will be scaled back by the chancellor. Universal support is due to last for two years – but the source suggested this was unlikely to remain the case.​

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

A source has said it is expected that the government's energy price guarantee will be scaled back by the chancellor. Universal support is due to last for two years – but the source suggested this was unlikely to remain the case.​
Grrrrrrrrrr ….Hunt out!

Another comment

Jeremy Hunt will announce that the Government's energy price guarantee is going to be watered down, according to reports.

The guarantee is supposed to apply for two years, with help for every household, but it is now reportedly going to apply until April next year when support will then become targeted and capped.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

All will be revealed very shortly (hopefully).

Doing that would add another 50 seats to a Labour landslide.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Personally I will wait to see what next months Chancellor or PM decides to do
Nah..it’s a weekly change now

Back on topic ..my new dehumidifier run during off peak times is helping to dry the washing and I’m now glued to the new humidity sensor (paid for by last Fridays defeat) fascinating to watch :facepalm:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Guaranteed until April 2023, with a review to determine what happens after that.
Hopefully the review will be well before 1 April 23, measures taking effect from 1 April 23. Not least to give certainly.

Anyone here follow politics outside the UK? Both the IMF and many EU nations were scathing of the huge energy subsidies announced by France and Germany. For two reasons:
1. They went it alone, the rest of the bloc side-lined.
2. It was uncosted, the same criticism of Kwarteng’s mini budget. The IMF wanted fiscal discipline and no printing of money to further fuel inflation.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
My issue with this type of thing is that I also need to cook roast potatoes, and yorshire puddings, and an apple crumble, all of which fit into my oven at the same time, this looks particulalry useless for cooking more than one thing, and how do you therefore keep one thing hot wjhislt cooking something else
Good question, I'm fairly new to the AF thing and I agree it's not easy to cook multiple things.

What I tend to do is cook the "main" part and then put aside and cook the chips (for example) them throw the main event back in for the last few minutes to bring everything up to temperature for serving.

I'm looking at modifying mine to have multiple levels because my AF is tall and round when I really want a larger area with less height however, they all seem to be of similar design.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
With my dishwasher being prone to terminal limescale I found even generic descalers to be a significant expense (I'm poor). Noticing the active ingredient to be citric acid I bought a 2kg tub of it instead. Bloody marvelous, and many other uses too.
My wife just buys a few lemons, juices them, and boils the kettle with a mix of water and the lemon juice. Works an absolute treat.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Fortunately it's so mild at the moment, global warming is doing the job for us. Should be weeks before we need the heating on at this rate. Still in shorts and T-Shirts here in the south.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Fortunately it's so mild at the moment, global warming is doing the job for us. Should be weeks before we need the heating on at this rate. Still in shorts and T-Shirts here in the south.
Aye I got my work trousers out a couple of weeks ago with the anticipation of wearing them by now ..but nope still working in shorts n T shirts which is so much more comfy ..todays been lovely

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
My wife just buys a few lemons, juices them, and boils the kettle with a mix of water and the lemon juice. Works an absolute treat.
That's not exactly money saving is it.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
That's not exactly money saving is it.
A clean kettle is cheaper to run than one that's clogged up with scale, and unless I'm mistaken the chemical-based cleaners also require you to boil the kettle with the cleaner in. So yes, it does - lemons are cheaper than chemical based cleaners.

Probably a good bit healthier, too, in the long run.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Listening to Radio 4 You and Yours this morning and a gas engineer said he's boiling water in a kettle on his gas stove rather than using his electric kettle as its cheaper. Is this correct? I've seen the way electric use goes up on the smart meter when using an electric kettle (2kw) but is electricity really that more expensive for a 2 minute job?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here