Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Suggestion Box: Alternate Ways To Save The Club £40,000 A Season

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Aiming to build a hotel on the site probably broke the planning conditions just a tad also tho eh?

Total respect to the club for actively promoting sustainable modes of transport for those visiting the stadium. Tho they couldn't have foreseen SASTA implementing Beeching-level cuts on the region's rail network. Even more reason to withdraw the travel subsidy. The club aren't getting what they paid SASTA for, and the consequences for the start of this season will be seriously grim and will whack the club in the pocket in lost revenue. They don't deserve that.

The hotel didn't pass the planning application in March of this year, which was a different issue.

Originally, that area was going to be for City College, until the funding from the government was reigned back.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
For us maybe. But a hefty outlay for the club that could probably be trimmed considerably if everybody who didn't need the travel subsidy voluntarily opted out of it.

As I eluded to in my original post, withdrawal of travel subsidy will result in drop in crowds unless we are doing very well, which consequently will put the club in a worse position financially.

I appreciate where you are coming from, but very difficult to create solution you are proposing in reality. So travel subsidy/scheme is all or nothing.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
[pedant alert] should be 'alternative' not 'alternate' - alternate means every other (because of work, we can only attend alternate matches).

Strictly speaking, alternative should be one of two but colloquially its use has expanded

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For August turn the water off in the East Stand and add 1p to the price of each bottle of water.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Disagree with the withdrawal of the travel subsidy, as we saw with the failed voucher system in the beginning it would just encourage evasion. It's actually cheaper just to apply the subsidy to all regardless of use.

I'd just dock the players a couple of quid a week, they'd hardly notice.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
[pedant alert] should be 'alternative' not 'alternate' - alternate means every other (because of work, we can only attend alternate matches).

Strictly speaking, alternative should be one of two but colloquially its use has expanded

Picky :rolleyes:

Strictly speaking, you need a full stop after 'expanded'. :moo:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Disagree with the withdrawal of the travel subsidy, as we saw with the failed voucher system in the beginning it would just encourage evasion. It's actually cheaper just to apply the subsidy to all regardless of use.

Does evasion matter? As we've discovered in the last few weeks, SASTA get paid whether a train has zero or a thousand people on it. If there's no incentive to collect money, why does it bother the rail company if thousands evade the fare?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Let the away fans earlier so they can start guzzling ale. Times I've walk round pass them when the home end is open and serving and they are waiting outside. Why?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Get rid of Pat (Paul) Nevin and let Chris and Colin pick up their own cones.
Barber 10% pay cut.
Charge 50p per person for the free park and ride.
Axe the fan zone bands.
Employ 200 less stewards.
Employ less catering till staff, but train the ones who do work.
Buy one less U21 player.
Rename the Seven Stars, the Amex Seven Stars Community Pub and charge them £40k for the privilege.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Get rid of Pat (Paul) Nevin and let Chris and Colin pick up their own cones.
Barber 10% pay cut.
Charge 50p per person for the free park and ride.
Axe the fan zone bands.
Employ 200 less stewards.
Employ less catering till staff, but train the ones who do work.
Buy one less U21 player.
Rename the Seven Stars, the Amex Seven Stars Community Pub and charge them £40k for the privilege.

I know you're not serious, but how do you employ 'less [sic] catering staff', when you don't employ any...?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Does evasion matter? As we've discovered in the last few weeks, SASTA get paid whether a train has zero or a thousand people on it. If there's no incentive to collect money, why does it bother the rail company if thousands evade the fare?

Somebody will want paying for the trains regardless. At present, given the size of Falmer Station, it is just logistically easier to leave the barriers open when 25000 people turn up on a matchday. If the transport subsidy were ever abandoned do not expect the saving to passed on to ticket holders, prices would undoubtedly stay the same.

I honestly feel finding a £40,000 in a playing budget of over £20million is far easier.

The other thing they could do is hire a decent bar manager who maybe able to generate that £40,000 from the bar itself. Seems to me the club has gone for a quick and easy solution. If the bar is limited to 160 members only then they may actually sell this as 1901-lite, which if they do vindicates their decision.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Those fans that want to stand charged an extra £250 for the season and all moved to the south stand

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here