Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Strep A & Scarlet Fever

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Very sad to hear that a child at Hove Park School has died from a suspected invasive Strep A infection - I’m sure every NSC member would want to offer their deep sympathy to the child’s family and the the families of all others that have died.

While it’s sensible to keep a perspective as stats below show

Are we now living in the age of the ’superbug’ where Covid for example has made everyone more susceptible to bacterial infections? Pretty worrying if a/ there is a shortage of antibiotics and b/ if antibiotics become less and less effective

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I just started a thread on this - we no doubt cross posted - merge? 🙂

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Had a look at the link and two points. Firstly what about adults and second will this cold weather slow infection rates?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Is officially being looked as one of the causes.

Dr Susan Hopkins, chief medical advisor at UKHSA, confirmed for the first time on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that lockdown did play a role.

“We’re back to normal social mixing and the patterns of diseases that we’re seeing in the last number of months are out of sync with the normal seasons as people mix back to normal and move around and pass infections on,” she said.

“We also need to recognise that the measures that we’ve taken for the last couple of years to reduce Covid circulating will also reduce other infections circulating.

“And so that means that, as things get back to normal, these traditional infections that we’ve seen for many years are circulating at great levels.”

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
My boys have had it twice in the last two months, and given it to my wife and I. Youngest also got a rash on his face and stomach but the rest of us didn't. Symptoms were very similar to covid for me (really sore throat, lethargy, general aches and the like).

We asked our GP for a swab to send off for testing the second time around, got the results back in 36 hours and got straight onto antibiotics. Definitely get in touch with your GP if in any doubt whatsoever.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dr Susan Hopkins, chief medical advisor at UKHSA, confirmed for the first time on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that lockdown did play a role.

“We’re back to normal social mixing and the patterns of diseases that we’re seeing in the last number of months are out of sync with the normal seasons as people mix back to normal and move around and pass infections on,” she said.

“We also need to recognise that the measures that we’ve taken for the last couple of years to reduce Covid circulating will also reduce other infections circulating.

“And so that means that, as things get back to normal, these traditional infections that we’ve seen for many years are circulating at great levels.”
Total common sense…….social distancing, no mixing and everyone anti-baccing themselves all the time. No-one was building up natural immunity to anything.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Another impact:

My wife knows the duty nurse at a large school with boarders and day pupils. With a ton of experience behind her, she said her role until the pandemic was invariably dealing with colds and flus. Since March 2020, in her words, it’s a plague of mental health issues, some very serious and sad.

We’re social creatures, it was unnatural to be kept at home for months on end. I’m sure when the dust settles, true experts will compare and contrast the effects of varied national approaches. The Swedish soft touch strategy is of particular interest I feel.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I find it disgusting that children are dying but people don't give a f***, just want to push their anti-lockdown thoughts

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I find it disgusting that children are dying but people don't give a f***, just want to push their anti-lockdown thoughts
Pro lockdown here, to an extent.

The authorities are looking at the effect of the lockdowns in lowing the immunity of children, making them susceptible to this killer. It’s not a taboo subject, it must be reflected on.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Decided that after this terrible news this evening I will not be sending my son in to nursery before Xmas.

Is it covid all over again?
this action could be counter productive, the main reason for the more serious illness is lack of exposure. its certainly not covid as we know what the disease is, treatment etc, unlike covid in early 2020. there are normally thousands of cases every year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here