Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Strep A & Scarlet Fever

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
this action could be counter productive, the main reason for the more serious illness is lack of exposure. its certainly not covid as we know what the disease is, treatment etc, unlike covid in early 2020. there are normally thousands of cases every year.

Yeah, could be for non vulnerable children. My son is vulnerable and will not take calpol, let alone that banana antibiotic juice stuff they give kids.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
this action could be counter productive, the main reason for the more serious illness is lack of exposure. its certainly not covid as we know what the disease is, treatment etc, unlike covid in early 2020. there are normally thousands of cases every year.
I think many kids will now be kept off school until the New Year.

A natural parents response.

On a macro level, you may well be right.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Are you suggesting that we shouldn't have had any lockdowns?
It’s worth academics having a look at the entire effects of the lockdowns. Countries acted completely in the dark. Mental health, key public services eg ops, education, economy, relatives unable to visit care homes (this drags on even now, R4 have covered the cruelty). Sweden taking a very different approach will no doubt be compared.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
And as Westender pointed out in his OP - recognising early signs, getting medical treatment promptly when antibiotics will kick in is very important -

it’s different from the early pandemic situation - lack of herd immunity because of lockdown, has caused an increase of all Strep A infections (and common viral infections such as colds and flu) - of which there are routinely thousands a year - however, not recognising when those infections have become invasive is the danger for parents with sick kids.

I understand there are also preventative antibiotic programmes being rolled out in schools/nurseries where there has been a number of the ‘normal’ Strep A infections eg Scarlett fever, Strep throat infections

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Absolutely disgraceful. These people make me literally vomit.
I stuck up for you on the original Covid thread & pointed out that people have differing opinions. So because I'm going to send Jnr to school for the next week, I make you 'literally vomit'! WTF?
I have no anti-lockdown agenda, but I can see with my own 2 eyes how much lockdown affected my Jnr, socially & academically. We abided by all the 'rules' & as a consequence his immune system is probably non-existent. What do you expect people to do, make sure all the kids stay in isolation forever? Vigilance is the key here, not keeping them home because they're going to be exposed to 'germs'.
You keep your kid home, but don't say that people like me 'make me literally vomit'. Your kid is in nursery, you have no need to worry about their life changing GCSE results, your kids social skills, at worst, might be a bit delayed.
Get back to me with your opinion on how bad a parent I am when your child has gone from year 8 & the next 'normal' school year is year 11 & they haven't even had a school trip in that time. When you're paying for your kids trip aboard or even somewhere little like a geography school trip to somewhere local, think about how lucky your kid is to be able to do that.
Thinking about it, why don't you home-school? Are you unlucky enough to be a 'key worker' that has to send their kid into school to keep this country going? Something tells me you're not. If you're good enough to teach your child all the necessary life & academic skills at home & can do that financially then good on you, but don't say what you just have to people who don't have that luxury.
Edit to add, that my heart goes out to the child's parents, friends & everyone whose life he would've inevitably touched without him even knowing. :(

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
7As more and more comes out about the damages from them, the Swedish model/Shielding will look more appealing.
Without checking, I believe the Swedes had a worst covid record than their Scandinavian neighbours who did have lockdowns. Not exactly clear how you can also compare a country like Sweden with a low population density with that of the UK with a high density?

Edit:
Sweden 21K deaths
Finland: 7.5k
Norway 4.5k
Denmark 7.5k

How appealing is Sweden's tactics now?

Last edited:

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
I stuck up for you on the original Covid thread & pointed out that people have differing opinions. So because I'm going to send Jnr to school for the next week, I make you 'literally vomit'! WTF?
I have no anti-lockdown agenda, but I can see with my own 2 eyes how much lockdown affected my Jnr, socially & academically. We abided by all the 'rules' & as a consequence his immune system is probably non-existent. What do you expect people to do, make sure all the kids stay in isolation forever? Vigilance is the key here, not keeping them home because they're going to be exposed to 'germs'.
You keep your kid home, but don't say that people like me 'make me literally vomit'. Your kid is in nursery, you have no need to worry about their life changing GCSE results, your kids social skills, at worst, might be a bit delayed.
Get back to me with your opinion on how bad a parent I am when your child has gone from year 8 & the next 'normal' school year is year 11 & they haven't even had a school trip in that time. When you're paying for your kids trip aboard or even somewhere little like a geography school trip to somewhere local, think about how lucky your kid is to be able to do that.
Thinking about it, why don't you home-school? Are you unlucky enough to be a 'key worker' that has to send their kid into school to keep this country going? Something tells me you're not. If you're good enough to teach your child all the necessary life & academic skills at home & can do that financially then good on you, but don't say what you just have to people who don't have that luxury.
Edit to add, that my heart goes out to the child's parents, friends & everyone whose life he would've inevitably touched without him even knowing. :(

You've completely misunderstood what I was saying. I'm not having a pop at anyone who wants to keep their kids in school. You do what's best for them, who am I to tell you what to do with your own children?

My reply was to those who were anti-lockdown during covid, and are using outbreaks like this to continuously bang the same drum.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
RIP.

This is tragic news indeed for the poor girl, her family and friends. I feel so very sorry for them.

I can relate to this somewhat as my son was hospitalised for 3 days in August with Strep A/scarlet fever. We initially thought that he’d been infected with meningitis and an ambulance was called. We didn’t know much at all about Strep A when he was diagnosed but thank goodness his infection was viral instead of bacterial. He is fine now of course but it took him a few weeks after the hospital experience to get back to full strength. Not an experience we’d like to go through again.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not sure I know anyone that 'loved' lockdowns but I hate to think how much worse it would have been without them (or even how much better things might have been had they been timed better!)
Oh I know a few who enjoyed getting paid without working and wfh….as regards to ‘lockdowns’ there was always going to be a trade off, but a lack of civilised discussion/debate about it ….and it appears as if the current strep problem is one of those ..then we have excess deaths and so on….these things need to be aired to help learn lessons of the future

Ps thanks for your civilised reply

Last edited:

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
LOL ..u r funny
Keep getting your post count up, pal. Someone's child has died and your first thought is point scoring. Nobody is trying to be funny, people are worried about their children.

You're a disgrace. I've lived in Shoreham for 40 years, we've probably bumped into each other, you may dislike me, I do not care. But there is a time and a place. If you don't like my posts, put me on ignore. Stop fishing for a reaction, it's not a match day thread FFS

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You've completely misunderstood what I was saying. I'm not having a pop at anyone who wants to keep their kids in school. You do what's best for them, who am I to tell you what to do with your own children?

My reply was to those who were anti-lockdown during covid, and are using outbreaks like this to continuously bang the same drum.
Who are they ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here