Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Storing Vegetables

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The trick was to know all the cheap nights and work round them. Managed to get to the point in Southampton where Sunday to Thursday were cheap nights in various establishments in the city and then the other 3 nights had to be spent in the Union or halls bars.

Very true. Two Universities in Oxford meant that there were plenty of options. Far too many 'Drink all you want' nights for £10-£15 though.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Very true. Two Universities in Oxford meant that there were plenty of options. Far too many 'Drink all you want' nights for £10-£15 though.

I remember finding a place in Tokyo that did that, run by a Spetic and charging about £40 on a Friday night. Which was fine normally as the locals were not good drinkers. However with about 80 England fans making sure they got their money's worth from 10pm until about 6am, he made a bit of a loss that night.

Very few vegetables need to be kept in a fridge - and one or two shouldn't.

Root veg of all kinds are better kept in the cool and somewhere dark. Most green veg are best in a fridge, although many (eg courgettes) will last just fine somewhere cool and dark. Tomatoes should never be kept in a fridge.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Sharing a flat means that fridge space is at a premium. Do all vegetables have to be stored in the fridge? I have my potatoes in the cupboard and I was wondering if parsnips and carrots could join them. Please help me. I would ask my Mum but I don't want to appear incompetent.

don't know if you have the room but you could look into an old method for storing root vegetables.
its called hogging.

you may have to search around a bit on the net but you can store roots this way for over 6 months

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Store potatoes in the fridge at the bottom.

Your fridge is the DARKEST cupboard in your kitchen, people forget that.

Tomatoes seem to lose their flavour in the fridge, so yes I agree with the above.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont have that problem because I never keep beer9bitter0 that I drink in the fridge as I like it room temperature.

The question of eggs being kept in the fridge or out of it was debated on the Paul Miller show on SCR a couple of years ago when I was driving home froma game and the guest, cant remmeber her name, said they should be kept in a fridge. I phoned up and asked if that was the case why do all the supermarkets keep them in the open shop and not in the cold area and the answer given was that eggs kept at room temperature would last for about 4 days and supermarkets expect to sell all of theirs within 3 days and then replenish them . So I dont know the correct answer.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Root veg can stay out for a reasonable time. Beers dont have to stay in the fridge all the time, just keep a couple of cans in for when needed. Sorted!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
only salad veg needs to kept in the fridge. ffs, we've been keeping potatoes, parsnips, swede, carrot etc in a cool dark spot for hundreds of years until the 60's.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Potatoes, garlic, onions, carrots, anything else related in a wooden box in the pantry....

Tomatos on the shelf in the pantry next to the eggs, anything home grown can go in the pantry too if it needs to, mostly we pick from the garden what we're eating that night...

Why does store bought veg go bad quicker than garden grown?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I dont have that problem because I never keep beer9bitter0 that I drink in the fridge as I like it room temperature.

The question of eggs being kept in the fridge or out of it was debated on the Paul Miller show on SCR a couple of years ago when I was driving home froma game and the guest, cant remmeber her name, said they should be kept in a fridge. I phoned up and asked if that was the case why do all the supermarkets keep them in the open shop and not in the cold area and the answer given was that eggs kept at room temperature would last for about 4 days and supermarkets expect to sell all of theirs within 3 days and then replenish them . So I dont know the correct answer.

I think it's more to do with cooking with eggs from cold is not as good as cooking with eggs from room temperature.

And, in answer to the tomatoes bit, yep, they go insipid in the fridge.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Where can I buy a pantry? :) They don't seem to come with pokey little flats..

This should do!

b8a4_2.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here