Storing Vegetables

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Sharing a flat means that fridge space is at a premium. Do all vegetables have to be stored in the fridge? I have my potatoes in the cupboard and I was wondering if parsnips and carrots could join them. Please help me. I would ask my Mum but I don't want to appear incompetent.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I always store carrots in the fridge as they tend to dry out very quickly - basically, they need to go in the crisper. Parsnips, not so sure. I guess they don't if you are planning on eating them soon.

Edit: The best solution is to buy bags for frozen mixed vegetables. They tend to be better for you as they are frozen quicker than fresh veg are transported, so lose less nutrients.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
I always store carrots in the fridge as they tend to dry out very quickly - basically, they need to go in the crisper. Parsnips, not so sure. I guess they don't if you are planning on eating them soon.

The crisper section is full of beer. So is the door and the freezer for that matter.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If the beer is not going to be drunk immediatly, then take it out. A complete waste of energy and they can be cooled in the freezer when required or stick it in the garden - we used to do that in winter/autumn.

NB See my edit for future reference

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
If the beer is not going to be drunk immediatly, then take it out. A complete waste of energy and they can be cooled in the freezer when required or stick it in the garden - we used to do that in winter/autumn.

NB See my edit for future reference ;)

But you should always have some beer in the fridge, never know when you might need one.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Do you have an outside area you can put the beer?

Well it is a fridge in student digs. Any decent beer?

NB See my edit for future reference

1) If we left it outside, it would get stolen.

2) Just shit like Carling, Fosters, Strongbow and some keg thing from Lidl.

3) I told them to get a cool box and put ice packs in it. But apparently that's too much hassle.

4) Bof, I've not got enough space in the freezer either. That's why I'm after veg that can stay at ambient temperatures. I buy in bulk cos it's cheaper, but I just don't get through it fast enough.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The crisper section is full of beer. So is the door and the freezer for that matter.

wise choice I'd say

you can leave all your fresh veggies in a dark cool cupboard for 3-5 days with no problem but take them out of bags so they dont sweat

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
:D Copious amounts. Oh, I do miss those student days. Perhaps a masters is in order.

The trick was to know all the cheap nights and work round them. Managed to get to the point in Southampton where Sunday to Thursday were cheap nights in various establishments in the city and then the other 3 nights had to be spent in the Union or halls bars.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
May I add, none of the beer is mine. That's why I'm so annoyed about the fact it's hogging the fridge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports