Stop Cycling up Ditchling Beacon!!!!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heebyjeebys

Apr 15, 2013
See again, where are all these cyclists riding side by side? I maybe come across one pair a month. And even then they don't usually cause an issue. Yet pretty much every time I drive or cycle anywhere I see a motorist do something stupid which delays me. A pet hate is indicating right to go round a roundabout but then not indicating left to exit the roundabout. This happens all the time and holds me up far more than cyclists ever have.

Do bicycles have indicators???
Do some cyclists not wear correct safety wear?? All these little things are hazardous as are some drivers. In my 'opinion' they should be tested like drivers are to ensure they can ride appropriately and have some sort of insurance. Correct me if i am wrong and they already have thus in place. If a cyclist accidently hits a pot hole does that entitle him to take his bike to the council and get a new one?? This doesnt include you as you obviously are an a class cyclist!!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I like cyclists wherevever they are..... Especially when they are in the middle of the road! Or riding side by side having a catch up with their mate!

Please can I just address this 'side by side' issue. There's a very good reason groups of cyclists do this and it can be in the interests of the motorist.

If you check your Highway Code you'll see that it states that when overtaking any other vehicle on the road (lorry, car, cyclist, horse, tank) you must move safely into the adjacent lane to do so. By doing so, you give the vehicle you are passing ample space.

If as a car driver you approach a line of four cyclists in single file, then the length of that vehicle could be 8 metres at least. That's the size of a lorry. If those cyclist go two abreast then they are reducing the length of the 'vehicle' that needs to be overtaken safely to just 4 metres or a large car.

Similarly, horse riders will ride two abreast for the same reason and to protect the most nervous horse which will be on the inside. This is why cyclists and drivers should always slow down for horses and only ever overtake in the adjacent lane.

I'm not defending all cyclists. There are times when it is not right to be side by side, but equally there are motorists that often overtake cyclists without moving to the adjacent lane.

Cycling side by side is fine. It can be helpful.

Let's all respect each other and enjoy our roads.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Really? Because learning to drive isn't comprehensive enough already.
Learning to Cycle however........if you want to cycle on the roads you have a licence as well!!!! Along with that there should be fines if you jump a red light etc.

All I hear is cyclists saying they should be treated the same on the road and cars aren't the priority etc etc.

If that's going to be the case same rules should apply!!

Don't fall into the trap of making this an us and them debate.

I'm a passionate cyclist, but there are idiots out there. I had to pelt along Kings Drive to catch a fellow bike rider the other day and remonstrate with him for going through a red light and so making the road less safe for all of us.

Equally, I love driving. But, I see some idiot drivers cutting people up, squeezing into spaces at speed that just aren't there and overtaking other vehicles when it isn't safe to do so.

We all need to respect each other and enjoy our roads whatever vehicle we are in.

Don't be pulled by others into making this an us and them debate. It's about us all.

D

Deleted member 22389

Do cyclists still have priority here like cars? For some reason there are lots of drivers that either totally ignore these signs either because they misjudge the speed of the oncoming cyclist or couldn't give a shit and are just looking for confrontation.

When drivers do this it forces the cyclist in to the kerb. Well it happened to me again today. After nearly going under the wheels of a car last Xmas when the driver pulled out on me, I'm seriously getting fed up with things.

Not just that, see the space resevered for cyclist coming the other way, I have seen loads of cars park in front of these. What are cyclists meant to do, get on the pavement with the chance of hitting a pedestrian or go around the Island.

View attachment 56106

While [MENTION=27125]Wrong-Direction[/MENTION] is obviously someone's attempt at a 'hilarious' second account, I'll just quickly point out that I (and indeed any cyclist) would be more than happy to become liable for Vehicle Excise Duty (or to use it's wrong name 'road tax'). My vehicle would be registered after March 2001 so would be judged on the amount of CO2 it creates when burning fuel. I burn no fuel, therefore, according to my complex calculations, I would be liable for a VED of £0. Even if you widen the definition to include manufacture of the vehicle and the CO2 used in the production of food to feed the cyclist (which clearly aren't included in the equivalent car calculations) the European Cyclists' Federation estimates that total emissions of a cyclist are 21g per kilometre. Given that cars producing less than 100g of CO2 per kilometre are zero-rated for VED, that would again result in me being liable for VED of £0. Happy days.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
While [MENTION=27125]Wrong-Direction[/MENTION] is obviously someone's attempt at a 'hilarious' second account, I'll just quickly point out that I (and indeed any cyclist) would be more than happy to become liable for Vehicle Excise Duty (or to use it's wrong name 'road tax'). My vehicle would be registered after March 2001 so would be judged on the amount of CO2 it creates when burning fuel. I burn no fuel, therefore, according to my complex calculations, I would be liable for a VED of £0. Even if you widen the definition to include manufacture of the vehicle and the CO2 used in the production of food to feed the cyclist (which clearly aren't included in the equivalent car calculations) the European Cyclists' Federation estimates that total emissions of a cyclist are 21g per kilometre. Given that cars producing less than 100g of CO2 per kilometre are zero-rated for VED, that would again result in me being liable for VED of £0. Happy days.
Good call. Do those requiring cyclists to pay tax also want low emission vehicles to pay?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

How dare you! I do not have a second account thank you very much

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports